Why was this song a huge hit, rather than that one?

Nov 28, 2007
This isn't really a rant. I'm just listening to a song by a band that recently hit it big with a different song, and it got me thinking. What songs by certain bands or artists do you feel would have been more deserving hits than songs that actually did hit it big?

For me, there are two big ones. First off, the recent one is by a band called fun. . I don't like their name, and their hit song, "We Are Young", was not bad, but wasn't all that great, either. It just struck me as a party song that wasn't sure it wanted to be a party song.

However, I'm currently listening to a radio station that plays hit songs from the 80's onward, and another song by that band came up called "Some Nights". While it still isn't a "holy cow, that was awesome!" song, it was, to me, quite a bit better than the song of theirs that became a huge hit. I mean, by most standards, "Some Nights" was a large success, peaking at #11 on the US Billboard charts, hitting #1 on the Alternative charts. But "We Are Young" hit #1 on the US Billboard Top 100 chart, Pop Songs chart, Rock Songs chart, Alternative Songs chart, and Adult Pop chart.

However, this is not a recent phenomenon. Take the great Chuck Berry. Know who he is? Well, Back to the Future fans, this should give you a clue.

It did decently, peaking at #8 on the Top 100 chart, and hitting #1 on the R&B chart. But he didn't get a number one on the top 100 until he wrote a novelty humor song.

Those two examples should clarify what my topic title says. So, now I ask you. What songs by bands or artists were passed over, only for a song you find inferior to reach the spot you felt the "superior" song should have achieved?

Edit: If possible, link to the song (after putting it in a spoiler for those with slower connections) so that others can hear a comparison between the two songs.

WolfCross

Jun 12, 2012
Off the top of my head:

Should have been a hit instead of

Drugs don't work, in fairness, had already been at no.1 for a week, but after the tragic death of Princess Diana, Elton John hashed out a slightly edited version of a song he wrote for Marilyn Monroe some years ago, which knocked DDW off no.1 and went on to become the greatest selling single of all time. I felt DDW was a much better song and also thought it carried more poignancy at the time than a re-working of a song meant for someone else.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
In regards to Fun. I prefer the intro to some nights. The actual song starts at 0;52, but it is truly a wonderful masterpiece.

In regards to the actual topic however, I can't really comment, seeing as my music choice usually consists of one song by one band, and then another song by another band, and so forth. Rarely is there ever two songs by the same band in my "playlist"

To make up for that, here is some music I found recently that I enjoy:

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009

OT: In regards to commercially successful, Lady Antebellum's Need You Now [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM213aMKTHg] was pretty damn successful.

I honestly believe that We Owned The Night [www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIAu-dx21Bs] was a lot better. Then again, I have a feeling that Glee was doing it's deeds
with Need You Now, making it more popular than it would've been.