Why WoW players moved to FF14 - An Analysis

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It took me two minutes after playing FF14 to see the combat was sluggish AF.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The difficulty curve is rather gentle and the game is very long.
The original endgame rotation for summoner they had in the current expansion had to be modified because they reckoned it would give people carpal tunnel because it had so many off GCD abilities that had to be weaved in for optimal DPS.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Okay...

Ease of access? Really? Vanilla and BC had attunements that rivaled old school EQ's in pain-in-the-assedness. Attunements that had you grinding and running all over the damn place. 40-man dungeons that needed a single drop from 10-man dungeons to attune, in other words four groups had to run a single 10-man ten times apiece, to get an entire raid in the instance. Reputation-gated attunements (you wanna talk about time sinks, let's talk about time sinks). The SSC attunement was so grindy and grueling that it broke guilds before they even got in the damn raid.

WotLK was what broke that mold, with easy and comparatively quick attunements.

Same for dungeon and raid difficulty. Classic was such a pinnacle of bad encounter design, players had to create and download mods to run the damn things (namely, Whispercast and Decurse), then instead of rebalance encounter mechanics such that players didn't need tools, they balanced later (AQ and Naxx) encounters around those tools. That's why Noth was so infamous before WotLK, they made Cripple and Curse/Wrath so hard-hitting to make the mechanic a test of how fast healers could spam their Decurse buttons.

LFG tool was an entirely different bag of cats. It "killed" the game because it allowed players to be unprecedentedly toxic without consequence. Players could be dicks at will, kick at will, and leave at will with the only real penalty being having to re-queue. Which is precisely how we ended up with shit like Gearscore in Wrath.

Prior to LFG tool and cross-server grouping, if you were an ass or an idiot in an instance, you got a rep for it. Players had and shared blacklists, and if you were on one for good reason, you didn't get to group until you cleaned up your act or learned how to play. Conversely if you were good and well-behaved, players likewise had whitelists. Because those were the days when one bad player regardless of role could wipe a party at the drop of a hat, by misapplying CC, breaking CC early, missing a stun or interrupt, or any other number of potential fuckups -- and one good player could save the party from a fuckup potentially causing a wipe.

And players part of a core group of about a hundred players per server, who'd PUG level 60 and raid content, had to get to know each other, their strengths and weaknesses, and what they were good at. That's how I ended up doing most of my raiding back in the day despite never being in a raiding guild; members of raiding guilds knew my character's name, knew my rep as a damn good healer who knew how to play their class and didn't act the fool on loot rolls, and picked me up for their raids when they were short a paladin. In vanilla, I was in Naxx more and progressed further in it, than members of guilds who did Naxx.

Wrath went big because compared to the previous two expansions, with the exception of some 10-man and heroic content, it was all faceroll. Even healing was faceroll in Wrath.

Which was where Cataclysm "fucked up". Blizzard realized they'd made Wrath too faceroll, and tried to re-implement mana conservation, aggro management, and CC. The 1-60 content didn't have a damn thing to do with it; players got to max level, realized their skillsets had either atrophied to nothing (or in the case of Wrath babies, never developed it), and instead of sack up and git gud, they threw tantrums and started quitting.

WoW always had content droughts, from vanilla on. 1.x content felt rushed, and had to be replaced for the most part in Cataclysm, because it was -- players were getting to the endgame, blowing through it faster than Blizzard had intended, and getting pissed because they had no more WoW to play. That's why Blizzard's model of designing for raiders during vanilla and BC was so fucked up, and part and parcel of why only 2-3% of its player base had experienced raiding content by the time Wrath came along.

The worst content droughts in the game were at the end of Mists and Warlords, sure, but people love to forget the third-longest content drought in the game was at the end of Wrath. The difference being, later expansions returned to the faceroll model of content, and with the addition of LFR tool made progression so fuck-easy the content drought was actually noticeable and noteworthy.
I think if the LFG tool had remained server specific it would have been better received.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
LFG tool was an entirely different bag of cats. It "killed" the game because it allowed players to be unprecedentedly toxic without consequence. Players could be dicks at will, kick at will, and leave at will with the only real penalty being having to re-queue. Which is precisely how we ended up with shit like Gearscore in Wrath.
Except that behavior doesn't exist in FF14 even though it has a LFG tool for every piece of content in the game. No WoW just build a culture of being shitty to each other because they miss used the tool.

the whole reason you had to be nice before hand was because, like you say, people would know who the pricks were. The shittiness towards others was built from the way the loot system works in WoW. Loot was everything and it was not given freely so people developed a "Fuck you, got mine." Attitude.

The reason this doesn't exist in FF14 is that you get a piece of gear out of EVERY dungeon regardless of whether or not you won any loot roles. After the final boss is killed you are awards a piece of loot for your current class. And since this loot only appears when the dungeon is over, it motivates players to help each other and see the dungeon through because you all get something out of it. Even if your group wipes in FF, people dont get upset because the run back to the boss is instant and if you quit then you get nothing, so people are more willing to teach each other and stick it out so that everyone wins in the end.

It's a subtle difference in implementation, but I feel it is very important and has a drastic effect on how the community treats each other.

The guaranteed loot, and the instant return to the boss after a wipe, has done wonders for the tolerance of the community.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's because the game eases you into the combat. Every class gets pretty fucking complicated pretty quickly and if they loaded you up with abilities right away it would be a struggle to learn. If you only give an MMO two minutes, then you are likely not patient enough to be playing an mmo tbh.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Except that behavior doesn't exist in FF14 even though it has a LFG tool for every piece of content in the game. No WoW just build a culture of being shitty to each other because they miss used the tool.

the whole reason you had to be nice before hand was because, like you say, people would know who the pricks were. The shittiness towards others was built from the way the loot system works in WoW. Loot was everything and it was not given freely so people developed a "Fuck you, got mine." Attitude.

The reason this doesn't exist in FF14 is that you get a piece of gear out of EVERY dungeon regardless of whether or not you won any loot roles. After the final boss is killed you are awards a piece of loot for your current class. And since this loot only appears when the dungeon is over, it motivates players to help each other and see the dungeon through because you all get something out of it. Even if your group wipes in FF, people dont get upset because the run back to the boss is instant and if you quit then you get nothing, so people are more willing to teach each other and stick it out so that everyone wins in the end.

It's a subtle difference in implementation, but I feel it is very important and has a drastic effect on how the community treats each other.

The guaranteed loot, and the instant return to the boss after a wipe, has done wonders for the tolerance of the community.
Which loot system? WoW has had several over the course of its lifetime.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

I mean, loot rolls exist in FF14, it's just that the culture isn't primed to be dicks about it and if your gear is already better, there's no real reason to roll on stuff

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, loot rolls exist in FF14, it's just that the culture isn't primed to be dicks about it and if your gear is already better, there's no real reason to roll on stuff
Yes there is loot throughout the dungeon. However you always automatically are given a piece of gear after the last boss dies no matter what. Even if you win every piece of gear in the rest of the dungeon, once that final boss dies you still also get your guaranteed piece.

This guarantee encourages players to see the dungeon through.

Whereas in wow if the group struggles even a little at any point, people bounce because to linger and help is a waste of time. There is no promised reward by seeing the dungeon to the end and therefore no motivation to try and help a group that struggles.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You're making way bigger deal out of LFG toxicity than it is (at least up until pandaria, can't talk after that).
Here's the chat log of 99% of LFG group from experience (probably over 1000 run):

Yeah nothing, there's no reason to talk about anything since the LFG content is so ridiculously easy. The group appear and immediately start killing everything, in most case just the tank and healer alone can finish everything so even if the DPS are completely useless the content gets done and DPS queue time was pretty long, so they have a pretty good reason to stick around. I also very rarely saw any case of loot being taken by people who didn't need it, not that there ever was much reason for it since LFG loot used to be outdated for most people after maybe a month. Also you never could kick at will, it required a majority vote. My only problem with LFG is that it required making dungeon into snoozefest (compared to BC, no more CC needed for trash, simpler boss, shorter dungeon) but I really don't think that killed the game.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
That's because the game eases you into the combat. Every class gets pretty fucking complicated pretty quickly and if they loaded you up with abilities right away it would be a struggle to learn. If you only give an MMO two minutes, then you are likely not patient enough to be playing an mmo tbh.
Black Desert Online.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You're making way bigger deal out of LFG toxicity than it is (at least up until pandaria, can't talk after that).
Here's the chat log of 99% of LFG group from experience (probably over 1000 run):

Yeah nothing, there's no reason to talk about anything since the LFG content is so ridiculously easy. The group appear and immediately start killing everything, in most case just the tank and healer alone can finish everything so even if the DPS are completely useless the content gets done and DPS queue time was pretty long, so they have a pretty good reason to stick around. I also very rarely saw any case of loot being taken by people who didn't need it, not that there ever was much reason for it since LFG loot used to be outdated for most people after maybe a month. Also you never could kick at will, it required a majority vote. My only problem with LFG is that it required making dungeon into snoozefest (compared to BC, no more CC needed for trash, simpler boss, shorter dungeon) but I really don't think that killed the game.
Healers and Tanks doing enough damage to bum rush the dungeon on their own hasn't been true for ages. Not since both the scaling was implimented, and the heirlooms received a power nerf.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I played WoW for a couple weeks sometime after the initial release and then again for 2 months in 2008. I had a lot of fun with it at the time, but I just cannot understand the desire to play the same game consistently for decades. Also I'm too cheap to fork over for a subscription.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The trend already existed in WoW, because of the one thing I hadn't mentioned yet: heroic dungeons in TBC. TBC heroics were incredibly toxic thanks to the combination of (comparatively) high gear requirements to clear the dungeon, but no requirements to enter it, and highly-tuned encounters that required players to know and play their classes well to get through. Players tried to jump straight into heroics before doing regular level 70 5-man content, it predictably didn't work too well, and players would blame each other for the wipes.

WoW's LFG tool took that to the Nth degree, when the one thing keeping players in check -- their reputations -- ceased to be relevant.

The shittiness towards others was built from the way the loot system works in WoW. Loot was everything and it was not given freely so people developed a "Fuck you, got mine." Attitude.
No, not really. The only classes really impacted by this were hunters, paladins, and shamans. Which other classes got which loot was generally patently obvious, and players tended to not step on each others' toes as ilvl wasn't relevant before WotLK, simply gear breakpoints -- and even in WotLK, it was only nominally and artificially relevant.

For the three aforementioned classes, things got problematic because of how poorly the WoW team itemized loot before WotLK. That's where you ran into problems -- feral druids and rogues, and enhancement shamans and hunters, fighting over the same loot, and nobody quite knew what the hell paladins should wear. What made things worse was when gear of a lower armor class had more advantageous stats than what classes were intended to wear, leading to circumstances where balance druids and elemental shamans would be fighting with warlocks and mages over cloth DPS gear.

The reason this doesn't exist in FF14 is that you get a piece of gear out of EVERY dungeon regardless of whether or not you won any loot roles.
That's actually a newer feature added in Stormblood, that didn't exist in ARR and HW. And it only exists in leveling dungeons. It's an important mechanic not at all for the reasons you cite, but rather for the fact a single character can play as any job and it speeds up the process of keeping in current gear when leveling alt jobs. That has absolutely nothing to do with max-level play, especially as any content beyond level 50 rewards tomestones, which can be exchange for entry-level endgame gear.

And since this loot only appears when the dungeon is over, it motivates players to help each other and see the dungeon through because you all get something out of it.
Mention of first-time player tomestone bonus and second chance tokens: zero.

The original endgame rotation for summoner they had in the current expansion had to be modified because they reckoned it would give people carpal tunnel because it had so many off GCD abilities that had to be weaved in for optimal DPS.
Summoner just has a shit rotation, period. But, I don't like DPS in FFXIV no matter what iteration. The only DPS class I can tolerate is dancer, simply because they're a proc/priority class and not a rotational class. I don't even like 5.x RDM, because of how ridiculous and convoluted their melee phase has gotten with 5.x (with no sign of stopping in 6.x).

Don't get me started on melee DPS. I have to wonder why Squeenix even bothered giving Reaper positionals in their first place, other than to say the job has them. Soul phase lines up with True North's cooldown, all players need to do is weave TN when they're going into soul phase. It's just dumb.

And yes, I loathe 5.x PLD and GNB for the same reason. I'm sure I'll catch shit for this, but the only thing PLD's confiteor phase and GNB's cartridge combo adds, are different graphics every minute to keep the rotation from getting "boring". At least with Delirium and Inner Release, you have to engage in a bit of planning to build up to it and (ideally) plan their use around party burst windows.

Too much focus on rotation, weaving, and hitting burst windows, for arbitrary DPS thresholds that only actually matter when progging savage/ultimate content at minimum or close to minimum ilvl.

Of course, I still gripe Squeenix removed cleric stance and tank DPS stances. So, grain of salt there.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Healers and Tanks doing enough damage to bum rush the dungeon on their own hasn't been true for ages. Not since both the scaling was implimented, and the heirlooms received a power nerf.
Maybe, but from LK to pandaria there was essentially no toxicity in LFG because nobody spoke to each other's since everything was a snoozefest, so I have hard time thinking that introducing was somehow the root cause of a rise in toxicity which sanked the game. Even when they introduced the raid version there wasn't much toxity in it, it just felt like barren chat with people saying w/e, since most encounter would see 10-15 people die within the first minute of an encounter and the rest would just easily clear it by themselves.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maybe, but from LK to pandaria there was essentially no toxicity in LFG because nobody spoke to each other's since everything was a snoozefest, so I have hard time thinking that introducing was somehow the root cause of a rise in toxicity which sanked the game. Even when they introduced the raid version there wasn't much toxity in it, it just felt like barren chat with people saying w/e, since most encounter would see 10-15 people die within the first minute of an encounter and the rest would just easily clear it by themselves.
The toxicity now, such as it is, mainly comes from the player base being unforgiving little fuckwads to new or returning players who are shaking off the rust. Now I'm no raid capable tank by any measure but normal 5-man should be something I can handle if I'm allowed to suffer the odd recoverable mistake or be given guidance by someone who knows. So when I tried to get a couple of quests done in dungeons levelling my warrior the past three days to 60, I got kicked from four out of my five dungeons. I don't know what I did wrong because it was apparently easier to just silently initiate a 'vote kick' than to type "Hey dickhead, don't do that, do this"

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, I din't remember how long the queues were in wow, but I'm not vote-kicking a tank in FF14 for some lackluster play because I don't want to go back into a 20+ minute queue

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...it was apparently easier to just silently initiate a 'vote kick' than to type "Hey dickhead, don't do that, do this"...
Precisely this. Folks want to frame toxicity in grouping around chat, but that's not the root issue in WoW. Silent votekicks absent any attempt to coach or constructively criticize, even based upon up to and including inspects on "unapproved" or "unoptimized" gear, are the root of it. Wrath was the peak of it with GS, morons would actually vote to kick players with BiS for that respective dungeon/raid tier, because it was a lower ilvl than current tier's drops and therefore artificially deflate gear score. You had players ninja looting shit they didn't need or want, and players loading out off-role gear, to meet player-enforced GS thresholds that were actually way above what was required to even have that content on farm.

I played resto druid during Wrath; the common practice for resto druids was to equip balance gear when queueing and until the first pull when players stopped inspecting gear other or running GS on them because resto itemization was just fucked. Resto wanted haste to cap before literally any other primary or secondary stat (more HoT ticks), spell power, and spirit in that order, so guess which stats Blizzard gave druids less of over time. I can't remember if it was tier 8 or tier 9 resto druids actually had to skip, because it tanked haste in favor of crit and had set bonuses built around criticals...which, y'know, was exactly what you wanted in a class designed around spamming heals over time.

So, resto druids had to keep two sets of gear, one of which was for use and the other to keep morons who didn't understand how itemization works and just followed groupthink from kicking them. Resto druids usually let rogues have gear intended for resto druids, because the itemization was subpar and rogues "needed" the ilvls to keep gearscore idiots from kicking them in turn.

"Best expansion in WoW's history".

I mean, I din't remember how long the queues were in wow, but I'm not vote-kicking a tank in FF14 for some lackluster play because I don't want to go back into a 20+ minute queue
The irony is, at least in ShB the most consistently toxic role I encountered was tank. Especially GNB. Usually folks rolling tank for shorter queue times, who don't have a solid grasp on mit, wall pull without communication, get salty with healers when they're not topped off, and inadequately communicate when they're about to pop invuln. That last one is especially important for GNB and DRK, particularly when tanks do it to skip mechanics on large trash pulls without communicating it first, and the end result is actually a party DPS loss at the cost of a long-cooldown ability that could have been more effective on a boss.

That's 100% down to FotM just like it was every expansion. It wasn't as big a deal in SB because the two new classes were both DPS save the occasional RDM who decided to LARP DRG, but that's the way it was in HW when FotM players rolled DRK and AST, and it's the way it'll be in EW when FotM players will roll SGE. SGE's design is basically setting up FotM players to fail until they figure out Kardion and shields won't keep a group up on their own, I'll say that here and now. Players will adapt, eventually, but have fun in DF until that happens.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Vote kicking a tank usually meant the group would disband since it could take 15+ mins and most people don't feel like sitting around doing nothing for that time so they'd leave and requeu since a dungeon typically took less than 15 min to complete. I could see a healer being trigger happy with kicking a tank since they knew they could leave a get in a new dungeon within a minute, but DPS usually had queue time in the 25-30 mins range so they were a lot more tolerant.

Maybe queue have really improved in recent exp so that you get a new tank near instantaneous, that I can't say.