WiFi-Free PSP Heads to Europe This Fall

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
WiFi-Free PSP Heads to Europe This Fall

As long as you don't want WiFi, a newer, cheaper, PSP could be yours this fall.

Sony announced a new addition to the PlayStation Portable line-up during its Gamescom press conference. Called the E-1000, this model, which will only be available in Europe, comes without WiFi functionality and is priced at an economical 99 euros. That's just under $143 in the United States, in case you're curious.

Jim Ryan, the new president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said the system is compatible with the entire PSP catalog and features a new physical design. The E-1000 also comes in the same matte finish as the PS3 slim console, so fingerprints shouldn't be a huge concern.

When the handheld releases this fall, several UMD titles, including EyePet Adventures, Invizimals: The Lost Tribes, and FIFA 12, will be discounted. Though there's no WiFi, you can still connect the system to the PlayStation Store via Sony's Media Go software.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
WHY? Who would want that if you have psn games. It's this you can have one with no UMD and PSN games online and you can have one with no PSN games but UMD (unless you have a ps3).

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This doesn't seem like a huge deal considering the ones with wifi are about that much or less now. Canadian dollars that is.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Well, you can get a PSP 3000 for $130 US so this without Wi-Fi for $143 US seems like a really bad deal.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BoredRolePlayer said:
WHY? Who would want that if you have psn games. It's this you can have one with no UMD and PSN games online and you can have one with no PSN games but UMD (unless you have a ps3).
You can use your PC to download games from the PS Store and then transfer them over via USB cable. Use Sony's Media Go software.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
99 pounds?

That's not a very good deal considering I can get a PSP WITH Wifi for 100 dollars.
99 Euros. Not 99 Pounds. Euros =/= £.

99.00 EUR = 87.25 GBP

Exchange rate: 0.881265

Rate valid as of: 16/8/2011

OT:If the price is only shown in euros, does this mean it's not coming to the UK? Or would you just import it?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This thing is the biggest failure to come out of Sony since the PSP go. It's not just the Playstation Store you can't get on, you also don't get online play for any games. No multiplayer, LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, and the soon to be re-released Mega Man Powered Up are next to worthless without access to the user created content. And no extra features like the web browser, internet radio, and all the other little goodies PSP had the last time I used one. They should have just made this thing out of bright red, yellow, and blue plastic and called it the "Fisher Price My First PSP" so everyone would be able to more easily see that it's a cheap piece of crap that is not worth money.

Well what they actually should have done is just cut the price of the PSP 3000 down a little. Playstation Vita is coming out right around the corner. If people don't get a My First PSP because it's horribly gimped, they won't get one because of Vita being so close to release. Plus now Sony has to manufacture these stupid things instead of just focusing all their energy on manufacturing Vita for its upcoming release. A big fat failure all around. I wonder if this will also just be an experiment after it fails like the go was.

And the failboat's name is PSP E-1000.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Crono1973 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
You can use your PC to download games from the PS Store and then transfer them over via USB cable. Use Sony's Media Go software.
I can't play online games or any game that uses the wifi to get dlc.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BoredRolePlayer said:
Crono1973 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Well, you can download DLC and games from the PS Store via PC and USB cable but you can't play online games with a PSP with no Wifi.

Was there really a demand for this?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
99 pounds?

That's not a very good deal considering I can get a PSP WITH Wifi for 100 dollars.
99 Euros. Not 99 Pounds. Euros =/= £.

99.00 EUR = 87.25 GBP

Exchange rate: 0.881265

Rate valid as of: 16/8/2011

OT:If the price is only shown in euros, does this mean it's not coming to the UK? Or would you just import it?
I could have sworn that was a pound symbol...
There's also the fact that he kept saying Euros aswell ;P

They're typing out the word instead of the symbol, because these forums don't recognise them apparently.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
There's also the fact that he kept saying Euros aswell ;P

They're typing out the word instead of the symbol, because these forums don't recognise them apparently.
I skimmed the article and missed the euros part. :\
Well, let this be a lesson to you! :p

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Crono1973 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Crono1973 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Well, you can download DLC and games from the PS Store via PC and USB cable but you can't play online games with a PSP with no Wifi.

Was there really a demand for this?
I'm referring to games that doesn't use the psn at all, Monster Hunter and Megaman Powered Up and Wipeout are a few games I know of that use the web broswer (The Yugioh games also).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
BoredRolePlayer said:
I'm referring to games that doesn't use the psn at all, Monster Hunter and Megaman Powered Up and Wipeout are a few games I know of that use the web broswer (The Yugioh games also).
Yep. Like I said before, some games are going to be gimped as well by this. I know that Mega Man Powered Up had new characters that you downloaded from inside the game (remember, this was before PS3 and Playstation Network were around, so they had no other way to offer this content). Lots of older PSP games will be gimped like that. And of course, even newer ones like LBP and MNR will be pretty gimped as well. Goodbye "Play. Create. Share.", hello "Play. Create. Sh...it. I have no WiFi. >_<"

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Yep. Like I said before, some games are going to be gimped as well by this. I know that Mega Man Powered Up had new characters that you downloaded from inside the game (remember, this was before PS3 and Playstation Network were around, so they had no other way to offer this content). Lots of older PSP games will be gimped like that. And of course, even newer ones like LBP and MNR will be pretty gimped as well. Goodbye "Play. Create. Share.", hello "Play. Create. Sh...it. I have no WiFi. >_<"
Phantasy Star Portable 2 also T_T

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
mjc0961 said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
Sort of like how the PSP Go was gimped. I recently decided to get Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep but being lazy I was just going to download it from the PS Store. Well, guess what, that game is only available on UMD. Luckily I have a PSP 3000 so I could do that but PSP Go users must be pissed and I'll bet there are more UMD only games. You would have thought that Sony would have learned their lesson when the PSP Go failed but I guess not.

It's not a good idea to release different versions of a console or handheld that can't play all of the games available on the platform.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Well I do sorta need a new PSP, the analog stick/nub/pad/thingy is a bit troublesome, so I might consider picking this up, but I reckon I could get one with wi-fi second hand for almost the same price. Or I might just wait til the Vita comes out.