Wii Are the Champions

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Joeshie said:
Sorry, but I was never a casual gamer.

However, I don't know where you get the idea that any of the new wave of casual gamers is going to actually jump to more involvement with gaming. Most of the new casual gamers, (moms, wives, grandpa, etc.) won't ever make that jump to more complex and superb games because they just don't care enough. They view gaming as an occasional diversion, not a worthwhile hobby. The only people I can see as making the jump are kids in the age range of (3-10), which the Wii is very popular with. The kind of gamers that the Wii appeals to will continue to buy shitty shovelware titles because very few of them will make the jump to actually try and find good games.
Who gives a crap? OH NO! THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES AS MUCH AS WE DO! THEY ONLY PLAY VIDEO GAMES SOMETIMES! THEY SUCK!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
ShredHexus said:
Joeshie said:

However, I don't know where you get the idea that any of the new wave of casual gamers is going to actually jump to more involvement with gaming. Most of the new casual gamers, (moms, wives, grandpa, etc.) won't ever make that jump to more complex and superb games because they just don't care enough. They view gaming as an occasional diversion, not a worthwhile hobby. The only people I can see as making the jump are kids in the age range of (3-10), which the Wii is very popular with. The kind of gamers that the Wii appeals to will continue to buy shitty shovelware titles because very few of them will make the jump to actually try and find good games.
Who gives a crap? OH NO! THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT VIDEO GAMES AS MUCH AS WE DO! THEY ONLY PLAY VIDEO GAMES SOMETIMES! THEY SUCK!
Which has caused the quality of video games to decline because they don't care about the quality. That is why I despise "entitled casuals" not Casuals.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
elvor0 said:
ShredHexus said:
Joeshie said:

Which has caused the quality of video games to decline because they don't care about the quality. That is why I despise "entitled casuals" not Casuals.
While I understand your complaint, the problem that I see with it is that the sense of entitlement is not restricted to "casual" gamers. Many "hardcore" gamers can be just as guilty of having a sense of entitlement and force changes that create a ruinous experience for the larger population of gamers. Any time one singular group feels that it's desires and preferences supersede those of any other, problems and conflicts are likely to arise.

As per your example from World of Warcraft, from my own experiences with World of Warcraft, your real problem is skilled versus unskilled players, not "hardcore" versus "entitled casuals". I've seen plenty of "hardcore" WoW players, in the sense that they play 8+ hours per day, have very little skill with the game as a whole, especially during raids.

Singling out raids, in my experience, much of the problem during raids is due the fact that nowadays people often level grind straight to the end-game and miss all the group/teamwork training they needed in the 5-man dungeons. Then they get in the raid and fail miserably because they never learned the skills needed to succeed in the raid. These same players then whine and complain for easier content. This is a phenomenon that is independent of the player being "hardcore" or "casual"; although, I tended to see more "hardcore" players fast level-grind to the end-game.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
elvor0 said:
ShredHexus said:
Myth.

The quality of video games is not declining. There have always been crapware, mediocre tie-in titles, broken games shoved out the door and ignored... it's just that the old ones have been forgotten while the new ones are still present.

I'd argue that it's the jadedness, nostalgia, and verbosity of hardcore fans that has increased.

-- Steve

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I consider myself a casual gamer. I want a game that offers challenge and mastery with ability and practice, without having to grind 1000 hours to gear up. This we saw in the early days of computer gaming, with video arcades, and then computer titles that followed that design philosophy. Now, it's often just gear that determines the outcome of combat, or random button mashing.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
elvor0 said:
ShredHexus said:
Myth.

The quality of video games is not declining. There have always been crapware, mediocre tie-in titles, broken games shoved out the door and ignored... it's just that the old ones have been forgotten while the new ones are still present.

I'd argue that it's the jadedness, nostalgia, and verbosity of hardcore fans that has increased.

-- Steve
Halo Franchise lorded as one of the best games evar evar. Which it isn't by merit of its own genre as opposed to my own opinion, sure I enjoyed Halo but it was average at best. Expectations are declining perhaps then.

I dunno, RPGs dont feel epic anymore, I enjoyed my old FFs that I could pour 100s of hours into and still not get bored, but RPGs dont seem to have connectable characters in them anymore, and they seem less epic and shorter (Fable 2 I'm looking at you, you bastard Peter Molenoux and your Stephen Fry shooting the last "Boss" once to kill him) FPS don't seem to have innovation and the Wii is not using it's technology like it should be.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Shamus Young said:
Wii Are the Champions

Despite what you may think, casual gamers are not the embodiment of evil. After all, you were once a casual gamer yourself.

Read Full Article
I disagree with the notion that old games are the equivalent of today's casual games. The concepts and controls were easy but the games were immensly difficult!

Though I do agree with you, we shouldn't hate the casual games. Cash cows like casual games enhance investment in development. If a developer has a steady franchise that sells well they are more able to spend resources on new ideas and titles.

I think what a lot of gamers assume is that games which would likely have been made just for the regular market about five years ago now look to include this 'casual' market. Games like Fable 2 and Prince of Persia; these titles seem oversimplified to many regular gamers.

On a seperate note I would like to say that I deplore people using the word 'retard', it's completely inappropriate and not acceptable language in normal society. You certainly wouldn't say it at work.

The attitude of 'hardcore' gamers speaks volumes about them. They come across as a group of immature and socially awkward people.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
"Elitists"? "Casual gamers war"? What the frick are you guys talking about?

Seriously, does any of this kind of thing even exist outside of this forum? You seem to be making a huge deal out of a problem that doesn't exist anywhere I've seen in the real world. And I've been to LAN parties too.

Once again, WHO'S supposed to be "elitist"? Gamers? Not any that I've met...

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

Seriously, does any of this kind of thing even exist outside of this forum? You seem to be making a huge deal out of a problem that doesn't exist anywhere I've seen in the real world. And I've been to LAN parties too.

The war is very real, u just have to open your eyes

Just the other day me and 2 friends where jumped by a group casuals outside the local gamestop store, they attacked with sharpened bejeweled discs, we had to defend ourselves. Luckily we we're strapped as always, and could deflect most of the discs with our logitec g15 keyboards, thogh I took a nasty cut to the leg.
We franticly grapped the stores display guitar hero gutars and tried to cut our way out, the casuals fell to our blows like trees to a canadian lumberjack, but they kept coming.
The store echoed with their warcries "NERF! HAXX! IMBALANCE!!!!" it was hell on earth.
In the end we found ourselves exhausted and had to flee the store. The store is now 23'rd casuals' territory, the store consoles are not running any hardcore games anymore, and i dare not come near.
life has never been the same since, i can't walk donw the street without feeling like im beeing watched, constantly looking over my shoulder

So open your eyes and stop beeing ignorant, theres a war going on, people are getting fragged every day. i ask everyone to step up and join the fight, we need every hardcore E-soldier we can get.
Whether you're into fps, rts, mmo or whatever else your game may be, Uncle 1337 needs you!

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
teisjm said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

The war is very real, u just have to open your eyes

Just the other day me and 2 friends where jumped by a group casuals outside the local gamestop store, they attacked with sharpened bejeweled discs, we had to defend ourselves. Luckily we we're strapped as always, and could deflect most of the discs with our logitec g15 keyboards, thogh I took a nasty cut to the leg.
We franticly grapped the stores display guitar hero gutars and tried to cut our way out, the casuals fell to our blows like trees to a canadian lumberjack, but they kept coming.
The store echoed with their warcries "NERF! HAXX! IMBALANCE!!!!" it was hell on earth.
In the end we found ourselves exhausted and had to flee the store. The store is now 23'rd casuals' territory, the store consoles are not running any hardcore games anymore, and i dare not come near.
life has never been the same since, i can't walk donw the street without feeling like im beeing watched, constantly looking over my shoulder

So open your eyes and stop beeing ignorant, theres a war going on, people are getting fragged every day. i ask everyone to step up and join the fight, we need every hardcore E-soldier we can get.
Whether you're into fps, rts, mmo or whatever else your game may be, Uncle 1337 needs you!
Words cannot express how full of win that post was. *bows*

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
hehe thx... except for the fact that we lost our turf, which is kinda like not winning :p

We're planning to get back at them. i'm currently training for our comeback.
can't w8 to show them casuals why the left hand part of the wii controller is called a nun-chuck.

Bete_noir

Apr 6, 2009
I miss my Wii. It was stolen about a month or two ago but I just haven't got the drive to replace it with all my games. I mean I'm guilty, oh no, of being a casual gamer at times. Because a lot of those casual games are fun, they eat up free time and don't require a lot of investment, cheap and fun (Enter obligatory hooker joke here)still I like games with a bit of challenge.

Hardcore gaming is highly over-rated and somewhat mundane, because what do you lose in any game if you (for example) die? Time. Time and effort. Yes it sucks but I'll only consider anyone a hardcore gamer when they're willing to stake their life on that of their avatar's well-being. Any takers? I thought not. So we're all in essence still just casual gamers because all we invest is time, if you invest more time than the other guy that's just you being more casual.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I agree we need more gamers... I do have a problem with the people who will criticize me for playing God Of War, or Unreal Tournament, then start playing Wii Fit cause "this is a totally different thing." It's still a game. Anyway, I do own a Wii, cause it does have a few games for hardcore gamers, and they can still be played by newcomers. Casuals could finish Mario Galaxy, I can go searching for every single star. And has anyone tried that last survival challenge on Budokai Tenkaichi 3? Even Wii Sports had the pro title, which was sometimes a little difficult to get, or at least my dad made it look that way. Also, the Wii's poor processing power IS stupid, because they simply can't make huge games. I don't need mind-blowing graphics, but I would like a nice big varied world. The Wii had the potential to introduce people to games with a catalog of games ranging from 'newbie' to teeth-grindingly difficult. But now they can't rival the complexity available in the 360 and PS3. And definitely not the PC.