Wii Comes of Age

Feb 13, 2008
Wii Comes of Age

Take Two is looking at bringing M titles to the Wii.

There are some things that would seem not to go together, like sausages and custard, or perhaps the Wii with blood and gore, especially after the fiasco that was Manhunt 2. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/82335-Manhunt-2-Given-Final-U-K-Clearance]

With the Wii being marketed as a "family friendly console, [http://www.edge-online.com/news/take-two-we-just-cant-ignore-wii]" it takes a brave man to try and push titles that would make most families want to cover young Jimmy's eyes and switch off in horror.

Take Two is attempting to be that man, with the release of GTA: Chinatown Wars. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.77359] Closely watching its release on the DS (another family friendly console,) GTA:CW will see if there is a viable market for M-rated games on the two consoles; if it succeeds, gamers should look for more to come.

Both Bully and Manhunt 2 have already been released to rather lackluster sales, but neither have the pull of a GTA title, and that's where Take Two is poking its barrel at the moment.

Perhaps one of the biggest obstacles to overcome is the Wiimote or the DS Stylus. It's one thing to use the PC keyboard or the console keypad to simulate attacks; but with the Stylus or Wiimote, the actions will be that little step closer to mimicking the real actions.

And I'm sure most of you can think of a couple of extra uses as well...

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171959]

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
I... I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or not

we'll just have to see when the game comes out

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
chinatown wars looks quite nice for the ds, haven't seen what the wii is like yet

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
ill wait for the review on this one before i try it out. It says that the game is a huge scale sandbox for the DS capabilities, so it might be pretty neat to see how it plays out.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Such a shame, Bully is one of the best titles out for the Wii right now and it goes unloved. I liked Manhunt 2 in the sense that it ended up being intellectually interesting, not much fun to play though.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
As long as Chinatown Wars is more of the silly GTA and not the gritty GTA-IV style I think it could do well

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
If you remember, children, there was a time when things like Splatterhouse, Mortal Kombat and Conker's Bad Fur Day were released on Nintendo consoles and no-one twitched an eyelid (apart from the ones that didn't realise Splatterhouse wasn't for kids...). What the hell is the problem? I want more violent games on the Wii! It's a gaming console, not just a stupid gimmicky little toy!

Or at least it was supposed to be until Nintendo sold out big time...

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
although i'm not a fan of the GTA series i'm hoping this will make other gory, and hopefully horror, games come to the wii.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
The Daily Mail ran a furious article about MadWorld not too long ago, fuming that an 'M' rated game was being released for the Wii, and that it should remain family friendly.

Listen, nobody is forcing you to play it. And, for the record, No More Heroes was violent and a Wii exclusive.

Full article here for your disgruntled reading disgruntlement. [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1043818/Parents-horrified-violent-video-game-launch-family-friendly-Wii.html]

Feb 13, 2008
Johnn Johnston said:
The Daily Mail ran a furious article about MadWorld not too long ago, fuming that an 'M' rated game was being released for the Wii, and that it should remain family friendly.

Listen, nobody is forcing you to play it. And, for the record, No More Heroes was violent and a Wii exclusive.

Full article here for your disgruntled reading disgruntlement. [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1043818/Parents-horrified-violent-video-game-launch-family-friendly-Wii.html]
Ah, the Daily Mail, what a bastion of bigotry and delusion.

Aug 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Johnn Johnston said:

Ah, the Daily Mail, what a bastion of bigotry and delusion.
agreed

l33tabix

Mar 16, 2008
i think this is all irrelevant to myself seeing as I have hated Nintendo since the Gamecube (although I must admit I loved things like super monkey ball and pikmin and all that at the time) but really, I don't think it matters what comes out on the DS or the Wii. Their control styles are both gimmicks and their graphical power is inferior. I mean, I first saw Mad World and thought ,"Great! A title for the Wii that won't suck" but then obviously, gameplay footage came out. I know they were going for a 'sin-city-esque' aesthetic, but it still looks terrible. Games like that ran far better on the last generation consoles.

Overall, I think that Nintendo can make all the half-arsed M-Rated titles they want, but if I want REAL gore I would play Gears2 on my 360, or (when it comes out) play Killzone 2 at a friends. Mature games require power, Nintendo's consoles don't have that power, I don't want to bust a rediculously awesome headshot only to see a shit load of pixels come out of a Nazi's head, I want something that actually looks like brain matter.

HuCast

Aug 18, 2006
Im a mature gamer. If I want power I go to the gym or tape some weights around my Wiimote ;) Games are for fun and entertainment-if I want to see brain I go to the butcher.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I am looking forward to more M-rated releases on the Wii.

Oh, wait, hold on. Let me qualify that statement. I am looking forward to more good M-rated games on the Wii. No More Heroes 2 will I'm sure be quite fun I have recently been touting it as the only M-rated game on the Wii because I forgot about games that completely went under my radar and were swiftly forgotten.

So for the record I think there is certainly room for M-rated games on the Wii. Hardcore gamers and Nintendo fanboys bought the console before it had erected its 'family fun ONLY' facade... But what I want to see much more than that are some new, good games.

... Aaaand a Wii God of War or similar kind of title title making use of the controllers motion functionality would mean I'd never ask for another thing for the rest of my miserable life. <.< Just sayin'.