Wii Gets Superly Smashing 500th Downloadable Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wii Gets Superly Smashing 500th Downloadable Game

The Nintendo Wii hits a milestone today, adding its 500th downloadable game to the WiiWare and Virtual Console rosters - and guess what it is?

If you answered "Super Smash Bros," then congratulations - give yourself a pat on the back - because you're completely correct! If you didn't answer "Super Smash Bros," then, uh... I can't really help you there. But yes, the grandpappy of one of the Wii's most popular titles is now available on the Virtual Console for the price of 1000 Wii Points - and hey, just in time for the series finale of There Will Be Brawl, too. All three Smash Bros games are now at last playable on a single console, in case you wanted to, you know, switch it up for ... whatever reason.

In case you're not into the whole Smashing of Brothers Superly, there's also the original arcade version of Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden, also known as the Team Ninja game before they discovered modern jiggle technology, and that'll only set you back a mere 1000 Wii Points. But surely you'd rather play one of the most beloved N64 titles of all time, right? Not saying that Ninja Gaiden's bad or anything, but you can't Donkey-Kong-Punch Link in the face in it.

As for WiiWare, new additions include Eco Shooter: Plant 530, a recycling-oriented shooter, party trivia game TV Show King 2, action platformer Pallurikio, and a Christmas helper app called Happy Holidays Christmas.

Yeah, no offense guys, but I'll stick with the Super Smash Bros for now.

secretshadow90

Feb 10, 2009
Sweet! I never got to play the N64 Smash Bros. ( I rented it once but never bought it). I'll be buying that over the summer when my Wii is home and hooked up to the internet.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
yesssssssssssssssssssss freaking freaking freaking yes, its was reviewed in onm teased to come out around the realse date of brawl, and i didnt buy because i was told to get the new one. finaly 8 years of waiting over

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
rokkolpo said:
i should get wiiware sometime.
Well, this is Virtual Console, not WiiWare, but they're both sold in the same place.

OT: I guess they were waiting until an event like this to finally put this in the Wii Shop. However, I will not likely buy it, as I have access to an N64 copy of the game. Either way, I hope this gets more people to actually appreciate the "smash"-ing success that was Super Smash Bros.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Sweet, I think they should have released this game along with Eternal Darkness/Duck Hunt on the same day as Halo 3 though.

That would make some hilarious numbers.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'll be sure not to alert my Tourneyfag friends.

They'll probably never switch on another platform for about six months.

zamble

We are GOLDEN!
Sep 28, 2009
Really, that brings some good memories...would get it if I had a Wii!
Or when I get one...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I bought the wii primarily for the virtual console.

Oh, and homebrew.

Check out Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Super Metroid next!

shaun832

May 14, 2008
Hmm, Super Smash Bros has been out on the Virtual Console in Australia for 6 months now. Finally Nintendo America screwed up and gave the Australians something first!!

Sep 17, 2009
In the senior lounge in my school we have an N64 and all everyone plays is Super Smash Bros. Its like a culture now. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy to see this online.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
JWAN said:
Anyone here have the "Hey You Pikachu" N64? that was BA.
I remember the commercial with the depressed Pit Bull talking about how his owner ignores him.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i guess conker's bad fur day won't be on the wii eh? ... but by the time i get a wii there will be 600 games and the new wii 2 will be out soon after