Wii Slot For Discs, Not Credit Cards

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Wii Slot For Discs, Not Credit Cards

Moms might be tempted to buy Nintendo's latest console, but they should probably take a common sense test before trying to buy from the Wii's Virtual Console.

One would think that the difference between a DVD player or game console and a cash register would be nearly universally understood at this point in history. Yet the story of how one mom lost three credit cards inside her Wii console proves that one should never assume that the customer knows how to properly use the equipment he or she is buying.

The neighbors of one NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346968] forum-goer, a couple with young kids, decided to purchase a Wii for the family for Christmas. Failing to buy anything other than a Classic controller and carrying case, "HUELEN10" recommended the family try Animal Crossing: City Folk with Wii Speak and some Virtual Console titles, downloadable games for the Wii.

When the mother of the family asked HUELEN10 how the Virtual Console worked, he explained, "I told her that all she needed to do was put in her credit card when prompted on the Shop Channel, and get the amount of points she wanted."

Somehow these directions were misconstrued and taken far too literally, as shortly thereafter, HUELEN10 received a call revealing, in his words, "SHE PHYSICALLY PUT 3 CREDIT CARDS INTO THE DISC SLOT. HOW STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Indeed, this woman believed that her videogaming machine doubled as a credit terminal by night.

"I told her she has to cancel her cards and call Nintendo for a $75 repair, and now she expects ME to pay for this," ranted HUELEN10. "Seriously, she put in 1, and thought that that one could not be accepted, so she kept putting them in and they will not come out. I might try to remove them tomorrow with her hubby while she is away on a business trip."

If there is anything to learn from this bizarre experience, it's the some people will never quite understand modern technology and yet, somehow, these same people are intelligent enough to have careers that offer business trips.

Source: NintendoWiiFanboy [http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/12/29/psa-wii-slot-is-for-discs-only-not-credit-cards/]

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
lol! I heard this on Screwattack some days ago! Hilarious! Eh, some people... I'm surpirsd she even figures how to eat, drink, sleep, breath properly! Omfg, I think I'm getting angry from this stupidity! Gonna go to disembowel some enemies in God Of War...

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
Old news.
Though, I'm surprised she didn't sue the guy.
I mean, she was stupid enough to put in 2 more cards...

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
Tried not once, nor twice... BUT THREE TIMES. If it doesn't work the first two times...

Amazing.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
The first sign of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result every time. In fairness to the daft old bag, it does kinda look like a credit card slot. In the same way that a lion kinda looks like a cute little kitten.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I do think that anyone who reads about this can take comfort in the fact that they are not this woman and will most likely never do something so stupid.

MrBliss

Jul 25, 2008
People like that are the reason you have 'Caution, Contents May Be Hot' written on McDonalds coffee cups.

It seems being incapable of rational though it not preventative to a successful career though. There are people in my office with very senior jobs who still haven't got their heads around the fact that we're now using a new printer with a different name. I sent an e-mail round explaining how to make the new printer the default, yet still had to go and actually do it anyway for a bunch of overpaid numpties.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
*feels superior*

But seriously, she put a credit card in? Not a terrible idea for a console but still very stupid.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wow...I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was an urban myth. Clever really, just heep trying, its bound to work eventually...

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Logan Frederick said:
Indeed, this woman believed that her videogaming machine doubled as a credit terminal by night.
I like the idea that machine moonlight as other things. Or even better, turn into masked super-machines and fight crime in the night.