Wii Speak: Buy New Or Do Without

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wii Speak: Buy New Or Do Without

A friendly heads-up for Wii [http://www.wii.com] owners: If you plan on buying Wii Speak, make sure you get a new one, because second-hand devices won't be given access to the Wii Speak Channel.

The new Wii peripheral is a microphone that's placed near the television to allow for voice chatting between online groups during gameplay. Animal Crossing: City Folk [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12/wii-speak-channel-only-for-wii-speak-purchasers/], but it can also be used for stand-alone voice chat over the Wii Speak Channel, which opens to the public in December.

But there's a bit of a dirty trick here. New Wii Speak devices will come with a 16-character "download ticket" that will allow buyers to download and use the Wii Speak Channel, and that is the only way - the only way - to access it. A Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] rep confirmed that the channel won't be available by any other means, including the Wii Shopping Channel, and according to the device's manual, the code "cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen."

So obviously it would be wise to be careful with your code when you get it, but just as important is to make sure you get one in the first place. Buying the devices used could very well net you a Wii Speak without the code, and while it will presumably still work with games that have the functionality built in, like Animal Crossing: City Folk, without the Wii Speak Channel you'll be missing out on a lot.

Wii Speak goes on sale on November 16 in North America and December 5 in Europe.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
Totally should have had this at launch for free, like that other big white box.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
Not disappointed at all. My Wii is collecting dust, and I think it might start a fire next time I use it. Good thing I won't have to do that until Mad World.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I think the real issue here is that Nintendo is taking their turn at combating second-hand sales. As far as I know, it is a more aggressive and more conspicuous step than Sony or Microsoft has taken (please correct me if I'm wrong; I would like to know). I really don't see why people buy the Wii in the first place, and arbitrary bullshit like this doesn't help Nintendo's case.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Rooster Cogburn said:
I think the real issue here is that Nintendo is taking their turn at combating second-hand sales. As far as I know, it is a more aggressive and more conspicuous step than Sony or Microsoft has taken (please correct me if I'm wrong; I would like to know). I really don't see why people buy the Wii in the first place, and arbitrary bullshit like this doesn't help Nintendo's case.
At least they aren't making shit up like Sony (Rumble is for bitches), so I still hold them in higher regard.

And again, why is this a big deal? I don't see the problem. They've basically made a software key for a peripheral because of how their clearances and so forth work. I am not going to get all aggravated just because I have to now buy something new (OH GASP AND HORROR)

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
AceDiamond said:
At least they aren't making shit up like Sony (Rumble is for bitches), so I still hold them in higher regard.

And again, why is this a big deal? I don't see the problem. They've basically made a software key for a peripheral because of how their clearances and so forth work. I am not going to get all aggravated just because I have to now buy something new (OH GASP AND HORROR)
The rumble situation isn't really comparable.

It is a software key, which is not a new concept, but this particular key serves an entirely new purpose. It does not prevent any kind of piracy or theft and is not designed for that purpose, as most software keys are. It's only utility is to prevent second-hand sales. People have the right to do as they wish with legally obtained consumer goods. Interfering with that right by means outside of normal market competition (usually price adjustment) is, at the very least, a dick-move.

It's great that you buy new. I do, too. But I don't like companies exerting undue control over other people's property, even if new technology has made it possible. I'm glad you like Nintendo, but even they can make mistakes. And occasionally, be a dick.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
BleachedBlind said:
Not disappointed at all. My Wii is collecting dust, and I think it might start a fire next time I use it. Good thing I won't have to do that until Mad World.
Check it out Art Style: Orbient. Best indie game I've seen in a while on WiiWare and it's only 6 bucks. And there's that Goo game everyone goes on about.