Wii Sports Resort Sells 500,000 Copies

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
Wii Sports Resort Sells 500,000 Copies



Nintendo's successor to its king of casual games has made a strong debut, selling 500,000 copies in less than two weeks, Nintendo announced.

Sales lightning does strike twice for Wii Sports. The first game earned a spot as the best selling game of all time (a feat no doubt accomplished with the help of being packaged with every Wii console) and though only time will tell if its sequel, Wii Sports Resort, will do as well in the long run, it's certainly off to a good start. The game has sold 500,000 copies in the eight days since its release, according to Nintendo.

"Through Monday we sold one copy of Wii Sports Resort roughly every 1.5 seconds continuously since it launched in the United States," Cammie Dunaway of Nintendo said. "This tells us consumers were eagerly waiting to get their hands on these fun activities, and it's a great start for a game that will have long-lasting appeal."

Nintendo boasts that their accomplishment amounts to the providing of "staycations to thousands of people nationwide," which is a pretty lame way of putting it. More significant, I'd say, is that this means that some 500,000 people out there right now have Wii Motion Plus peripherals (bundled in with the game) in their homes, effectively creating for Nintendo a userbase for the peripheral without requiring them to sell or market it on its own.



Permalink
 

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
2,162
0
0
I can only hope that the profits from this are going towards better games.
 

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
Well, I think about now Nintendo is Rich enough to make a death machine and take over the world.
 

Cavouku

New member
Mar 14, 2008
1,122
0
0
I'm looking forward to getting the new Wii MotionPlus!!!

...The Sports Game is a nice bonus, seeing as I think I lost Wii Sports >_>
 

ChromeAlchemist

New member
Aug 21, 2008
5,865
0
0
Nimbus said:
I can only hope that the profits from this are going towards better games.
Apparently Zelda R&D saw Monster Hunter 3, shat [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shat] a brick, and are working double time. I'm sure the monies are going to a good cause.

And three posts in and no one has said 'in other news, Bobby Kotick is the devil!'

Hm. Surprising.

EVERY 1.5 SECONDS? Sweet Jesus at a Roller Disco...

tellmeimaninja said:
Well, I think about now Nintendo is Rich enough to make the moon into a death machine and take over the world.
First fix is free. ;¬D
 

AmrasCalmacil

New member
Jul 19, 2008
2,421
0
0
tellmeimaninja said:
Well, I think about now Nintendo is Rich enough to make a death machine and take over the world.
They're training their supersoldiers now. What do you think the improved motion and swordfighting was for? Soon the armies shall overrun us with their improbable martial arts skills and fanatical devotion to Miyamoto, the skies will turn crimson and... Why aren't you wearing your tinfoil hat?!

I may get it though, waving a Wiimote around and pretending it was a sword was the first thing I did. And my Wii is starting to look a bit like it needs a penis extension now there's a 360 towering above it.
 

IrrelevantTangent

New member
Oct 4, 2008
2,424
0
0
Further proof that the Nintendo Wii and the 'Wii X' series of games are all part of a diabolical Nintendo plot to take over the world. Don't you people understand? Their evil overlords hail from Japan! And a scheme as big as this coming from Japan can only be for one thing- they mean to resurrect Godzilla from its watery grave! We must enlist the aid of the Canadian Mounties, Sweden, Yahtzee Croshaw, the entire state of Mexico, and the Cloverfield Monster in order to stop them! The fate of the world- and more importantly, the Escapist, depends on it! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Er, um, I mean, this is certainly good news for Nintendo! And Wii Sports Resort...I expect my younger brother, a Wii gamer, will be all over this....*shifty*
 

HardRockSamurai

New member
May 28, 2008
3,122
0
0
Nintendo makes a shitload of money. What else is new?

It is nice to hear that 500,000 has a Wii Motion Plus, though I can't help but sake the feeling that Nintendo is trying to "re-launch" itself on this peripheral. It just seems really risky.
 

ChromeAlchemist

New member
Aug 21, 2008
5,865
0
0
The_Oracle said:
Further proof that the Nintendo Wii and the 'Wii X' series of games are all part of a diabolical Nintendo plot to take over the world. Don't you people understand? Their evil overlords hail from Japan! And a scheme as big as this coming from Japan can only be for one thing- they mean to resurrect Godzilla from its watery grave! We must enlist the aid of the Canadian Mounties, Sweden, Yahtzee Croshaw, the entire state of Mexico, and the Cloverfield Monster in order to stop them! The fate of the world- and more importantly, the Escapist, depends on it! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Er, um, I mean, this is certainly good news for Nintendo! And Wii Sports Resort...I expect my younger brother, a Wii gamer, will be all over this....*shifty*
They built a Gundam and another giant robo not too long ago. The battle ended before it began.

Shit...
 

megapenguinx

New member
Jan 8, 2009
3,865
0
0
Darkrai said:
Go Nintendo. Wii Sport Resort is far better than Wii sports. I'd recommend it.
Pretty much, Wii sports was a hugely popular title. It was basically a nice gate way drug to the Wii. Although I do wish they hadn't repackaged a few of the titles.
 

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
ChromeAlchemist said:
Nimbus said:
I can only hope that the profits from this are going towards better games.
Apparently Zelda R&D saw Monster Hunter 3, shat [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shat] a brick, and are working double time. I'm sure the monies are going to a good cause.

And three posts in and no one has said 'in other news, Bobby Kotick is the devil!'

Hm. Surprising.

EVERY 1.5 SECONDS? Sweet Jesus at a Roller Disco...

tellmeimaninja said:
Well, I think about now Nintendo is Rich enough to make the moon into a death machine and take over the world.
First fix is free. ;¬D
Normally, I get angry when people "Fix" my comments.

Sadly, your fix actually is true. It's a good thing Nintendo isn't run by a cheesy spy-movie villain...
 

NeutralDrow

New member
Mar 23, 2009
9,097
0
0
It would have been 500,001, but I don't get paid until tomorrow...

megapenguinx said:
Darkrai said:
Go Nintendo. Wii Sport Resort is far better than Wii sports. I'd recommend it.
Pretty much, Wii sports was a hugely popular title. It was basically a nice gate way drug to the Wii. Although I do wish they hadn't repackaged a few of the titles.
As long as they provide a few more courses for golf, I'll even be happy with those.
 

IrrelevantTangent

New member
Oct 4, 2008
2,424
0
0
ChromeAlchemist said:
The_Oracle said:
Further proof that the Nintendo Wii and the 'Wii X' series of games are all part of a diabolical Nintendo plot to take over the world. Don't you people understand? Their evil overlords hail from Japan! And a scheme as big as this coming from Japan can only be for one thing- they mean to resurrect Godzilla from its watery grave! We must enlist the aid of the Canadian Mounties, Sweden, Yahtzee Croshaw, the entire state of Mexico, and the Cloverfield Monster in order to stop them! The fate of the world- and more importantly, the Escapist, depends on it! VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Er, um, I mean, this is certainly good news for Nintendo! And Wii Sports Resort...I expect my younger brother, a Wii gamer, will be all over this....*shifty*
They built a Gundam and another giant robo not too long ago. The battle ended before it began.

Shit...
We'd better recruit some Spies to start sappin' their robos and sentries.
 

ChromeAlchemist

New member
Aug 21, 2008
5,865
0
0
tellmeimaninja said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Nimbus said:
I can only hope that the profits from this are going towards better games.
Apparently Zelda R&D saw Monster Hunter 3, shat [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shat] a brick, and are working double time. I'm sure the monies are going to a good cause.

And three posts in and no one has said 'in other news, Bobby Kotick is the devil!'

Hm. Surprising.

EVERY 1.5 SECONDS? Sweet Jesus at a Roller Disco...

tellmeimaninja said:
Well, I think about now Nintendo is Rich enough to make the moon into a death machine and take over the world.
First fix is free. ;¬D
Normally, I get angry when people "Fix" my comments.

Sadly, your fix actually is true. It's a good thing Nintendo isn't run by a cheesy spy-movie villain...
Yeah, I never fix errors or anything, it makes me seem like an arse. Mine are piss poor attempts at humour.

And don't be so sure about the villain. I've seen the real head honcho of Nintendo...


And check out the muscle.


Name me one person who would consider messing with him.

The_Oracle said:
We'd better recruit some Spies to start sappin' their robos and sentries.
SPY'S SAPPIN' OUR GUNDAM!! RELEASE THE SAMURAI NINJA POKEMON HYBRIDS!!!

Oh, it's Miyamoto San! My lord! We bow to you! *facestab*
 

ChromeAlchemist

New member
Aug 21, 2008
5,865
0
0
Darkrai said:
Farson89 said:
Yahtzee won't be happy.
Xan Krieger said:
This just proves not enough people watch Zero Punctuation.
I'm sure everybody listens to him when he bashes the Wii. Because we he says about the Wii is true right? HAHAHA.
Didn't you know? What he says about everything is law. That's why I own 4 games, eat Branston Pickle every day and drag Wii owners out into the street and shoot them.
 

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
8,946
0
0
ChromeAlchemist said:
Darkrai said:
Farson89 said:
Yahtzee won't be happy.
Xan Krieger said:
This just proves not enough people watch Zero Punctuation.
I'm sure everybody listens to him when he bashes the Wii. Because we he says about the Wii is true right? HAHAHA.
eat Branston Pickle every day
I did that before I ever saw Zero Punctuation.

I don't agree with him on a fair few things, but he did get Branston Pickle right. Stuff be mad tasty.