Wii Sports Resort

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Angrylemming said:
I know what you mean. When I was playing Deus Ex there were parts where I was forced to abandon stealth and instead blast my way through. It worked but it sort of felt like cheating a bit that my mistake could be patched up with a few rockets to the face of whatever happened to be aiming a gun at me.
Actually, I like stealth games that work like that. Stealth, in and of itself, can get monotonous and boring if it's all you do in the game. I prefer an action game that encourages a stealth approach, much like Deus Ex. Sure you could have blasted every terrorist on Liberty Island to hell and back, charging into the fray each time, but it was more rewarding to creep from shadow to shrub, sneak up behind a thug and knock them out with a single jab from the stun prod. That was an action game that encouraged stealth so the action would happen on -your- terms.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
solidstatemind said:
I have high hopes for the new Thief game. Too bad we'll probably be waiting for 2 more years at least.
I wonder if Yahtzee is going to like the game Saboteur or however it is spelled. Personally I am not sold on it, however that may because it is set in France during WWII and we all should know how well the last game that did that worked out.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
RF1's destructive environment was only good if used cheats to give yourself unlimited ammo. i remember one level where I was forced to use the cheat God-mode because all the snipers was armed the rail gun that shoots through walls with infinite range.

RF2 destructive enviroment only worked in certain levels and just like in 1 when you hit metal you couldn't get around it.

For the Redfaction series of games I believe they really don't implement a true destructive environment.

"Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction" on the other hand but you either need the latest and greatest GeForce card or Ageia made PhysX ? a Physics Processing Unit chip, otherwise the game won't work. if does work on your system apparently this free game does implement destructive enviroment well for combat.

RRilef

Dangerfield Newby
Jan 5, 2009
I think Yahtzee has set a dangerous precedent, responding to the fans.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I don't know why anyone would buy Wii Sports Resort. All it's good for is the Wii MotionPlus bundled with it, but there's better Wii MotionPlus bundles to choose from.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
So the Red Faction team need to make a game with destructible buildings AND terrain.
Also AI that acts like its jacked up on ICE that spawns endlessly till the mission is complete is...annoying.

If its not possible to deliver stealth then developers shouldn't go anywhere near it.
Couldn't help but like the game though,though as yet no compulsion to play again.

As far as the Wii goes,I bought the damn thing for my girlfriend for Christmas.She picks games that don't really attempt to use the motion control,so basically its a wasted function,on her anyway.

Stelman257

Apr 5, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Given a choice Yahtzee, I think I'd rather play Wii Sports Resort then any of your suggestions; but whatever floats your boat dude.
You prefer video game bowling to real life bowling? Heh, whatever floats your boat dude.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Never actually noticed this until just now but, Extra Punctuation?
How long has this been going on?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Stelman257 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Given a choice Yahtzee, I think I'd rather play Wii Sports Resort then any of your suggestions; but whatever floats your boat dude.
You prefer video game bowling to real life bowling? Heh, whatever floats your boat dude.
That wasn't what I said... oh wait, I guess that is what I said. Well I was mostly referring to to the more bizarre suggestions like doing the impression of Superman with the bird on his arm.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Buying a frisbee: $1
Tipping a waiter in an extremely snooty, dismissive fashion: priceless

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
randommaster said:
Podunk said:
Pankeyman said:
Is it ok if I replace Superman with Batman? Or do I have to follow them to a T?
Don't be silly. Everyone knows Batman can't fly. Or if he did, you'd just have to pretend to be sitting in first class or on a private jet or something.
What are you talking about? Batman would simply scowl at the air until it submitted to his whims and took him where he wanted to go.

When he's really pissed, he'll scowl at the fabric of reality and instantaniously warp to the people whose asses he wants to kick.
Batman: The new Chuck Norris.

I would try many of those suggestions, but a lot seem to involve a lot of unnecessary messiness. I think I'd rather go do the real thing and get necessarily messinessed. But I would grin at anyone who does at least 5 of those things in public, saving it on youtube.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Midnight0000 said:
Damn, now every time I play wii sports, I'm going to imagine those things instead. Get it out of my head!
You don't play WII sports you endure it.

Also I liked red faction 1 but I was also young and hadn't become an avid gamer so that might be the reason.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
We definitely need a good stealth game. We also need a stealth game that incorporates the picking of locks, tapping of phone lines, and investigation of evidence pointing to terrorist activity rather than solving an international crisis by shooting anybody in the area who isn't white directly in their non-Caucasian faces.

Sid Meier's Covert Action did this waaaaay back in the day but such things are too boring for most people who consider Halo the pinnacle of an immersive action experience.
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

You're welcome.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Wait, no one's commenting before they finish reading the article? No 'first!' comments?

I'm disappointed!

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Mackinator said:
Cheesebob said:
That was hilarious, Mr Croshaw!

Also, what do you think of Hitman: Blood Money? That had the best of both worlds (if you were good enough)
Funnily enough I'm just off Blood Money and onto The Escapist. I started playing it a few days back and I agree. You can be stealthy when you want to for more of a challenge or you can run in all guns blazing when you just feel like killing all those Gun-wielding manics at the Wedding...
It was the opposite for me, I found the stealth easy but the going around guns blazing hard due to the lack of damage 47 could take.