Revelo said:
randommaster said:
Revelo said:
randommaster said:
samsonguy920 said:
randommaster said:
Podunk said:
Pankeyman said:
Is it ok if I replace Superman with Batman? Or do I have to follow them to a T?
Don't be silly. Everyone knows Batman can't fly. Or if he did, you'd just have to pretend to be sitting in first class or on a private jet or something.
What are you talking about? Batman would simply scowl at the air until it submitted to his whims and took him where he wanted to go.

When he's really pissed, he'll scowl at the fabric of reality and instantaniously warp to the people whose asses he wants to kick.
Batman: The new Chuck Norris.

I would try many of those suggestions, but a lot seem to involve a lot of unnecessary messiness. I think I'd rather go do the real thing and get necessarily messinessed. But I would grin at anyone who does at least 5 of those things in public, saving it on youtube.
Nah, Batman's not anything like Chuck Norris, he's just super pissed and crazy prepared, so oxygen knows he probably has a plan to kick its ass if it doesn't do what he wants.
But all of them fail compared to Bruce Campbell.
Are we talking about the man himself, or the people he plays in movies?
Does it matter? It's Bruce 'freakin' Campbell!
Yeah, but it's so much more fun to put real people against other real people, so that when you see it on the news, you get to see headlines like "Superman fights with Jack Sparrow," or "Tenacious D confronted by Punisher."

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
Mah. I gave up paying any attention to Yahtzee's actual opinion the moment he proclaimed Half Life 2 the best thing ever while simultaneously criticising other games for much the same things that happen to be the worst aspects of the Half Life series.

It's funny as hell, but also completely meaningless.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with Half Life 2. He did not say it was "the best thing ever", he said it was "genuinely good".

As far as his opinions in ZP being meaningless- maybe. I expected better out of EP though.

Warped Pixel

Aug 4, 2009
Huh so what happens after you shoot someone out the sky in dog fights? Do they perish or just get a lame parachute out.

Suikun

Mar 25, 2009
To be honest, I have to agree with Uncle Putte here... saying that a casual game sucks (especially a casual game about sports) is much akin to making fun of the mentally retarded kid in school. While your points may be valid in the sense that they lack what other games (humans) do here and there, it comes with the territory, and saying that it's terrible from a hard-core gamer's perspective is redundant!

(No offense meant to anyone and all that disclaimer crap)

Honestly, I don't like the Wii much myself. Aside from Super Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, I've not found much more than casual games to entertain myself with. Okay, Red Steel was pretty cool, admittedly, and anybody who complains that the controls for that were not absolutely perfect needs to remember that it was one of the first games out for the system, and they were still working things out. But I dislike it because it's not a hardcore-gamer system, and it doesn't have to be. It seems like that's the sole reason so many people are pissed off about the system; the fact that it doesn't cater to the same fanboy crowd it used to.

I quoted it before, and I'll quote again, "I guess it's better to be the king of Retard-Land than to try and continue to please the [insatiable fanboy crowd]."

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Curtmiester said:
I've actually never played an awesome stealth game. So a really good one would be a sure buy for me.
Did you not like the early thief games? I thought for the time they provided a pretty solid experiment.

I loved the little chatter of the guards when they heard something.

"Did you hear something?"
"No."
"You farted didn't you?"

"Did you hear something?"
"Probably a cat."

The cat one generally being the response after you do something like miss someone with an arrow.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
WayOutThere said:
CrystalShadow said:
Mah. I gave up paying any attention to Yahtzee's actual opinion the moment he proclaimed Half Life 2 the best thing ever while simultaneously criticising other games for much the same things that happen to be the worst aspects of the Half Life series.

It's funny as hell, but also completely meaningless.
I'm not sure what you're talking about with Half Life 2. He did not say it was "the best thing ever", he said it was "genuinely good".

As far as his opinions in ZP being meaningless- maybe. I expected better out of EP though.
Heh. I was blowing things out of proportion perhaps.
It was a while since I watched the actual review of Half-Life 2.

I was half-expecting to get flamed by a rabid fan, but I guess that's not so common on the escapist. - To be honest, I wasn't entirely prepared to answer a reasonable response to this statement.

I think Yahtzee's reviews are quite amusing.
But details aside, I just have learned not to take them particularly seriously, especially since his taste is nothing like mine, and a lot of the games he reviews (regardless of what he thinks of them) are ones I wouldn't play anyway.

I've been mulling over a parody of Zero Punctuation where I review Yahtzee, but that seems just a little bit...
Excessive. XD

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
Hmmm... It doesn't seem like you really played the game much, did you Yahtzee. You just felt like you had to do a ZPR for Wii Sports Resort, but when you started playing you thought better of it after 10 minutes.

It's not the game of the century, but there is a lot more to it, if you play passed the first 30 minutes in every game and start having some real competition against you. It's a rather big game (in length) that sucks you in (and not the other way around).

You are busted my friend.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
Just imagining some of the actions that you detailed was scary. I think my mind will be forever scarred from this EP entry.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Lovesfool said:
Hmmm... It doesn't seem like you really played the game much, did you Yahtzee. You just felt like you had to do a ZPR for Wii Sports Resort, but when you started playing you thought better of it after 10 minutes.

It's not the game of the century, but there is a lot more to it, if you play passed the first 30 minutes in every game and start having some real competition against you. It's a rather big game (in length) that sucks you in (and not the other way around).

You realize that he's assigned these, right? He doesn't choose to do them. See, the Escapist picks them, gives them to him to review, and he gets paid to attract us viewers.

Also, note that nowhere does he criticize the game for lack of playtime or insufficient challenges. He just thinks the Wiimote is shite. As should all rational people.

Suikun said:
To be honest, I have to agree with Uncle Putte here... saying that a casual game sucks (especially a casual game about sports) is much akin to making fun of the mentally retarded kid in school. While your points may be valid in the sense that they lack what other games (humans) do here and there, it comes with the territory, and saying that it's terrible from a hard-core gamer's perspective is redundant!

Honestly, I don't like the Wii much myself. Aside from Super Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, I've not found much more than casual games to entertain myself with. Okay, Red Steel was pretty cool, admittedly, and anybody who complains that the controls for that were not absolutely perfect needs to remember that it was one of the first games out for the system, and they were still working things out. But I dislike it because it's not a hardcore-gamer system, and it doesn't have to be. It seems like that's the sole reason so many people are pissed off about the system; the fact that it doesn't cater to the same fanboy crowd it used to.

I quoted it before, and I'll quote again, "I guess it's better to be the king of Retard-Land than to try and continue to please the [insatiable fanboy crowd]."
He's not saying that casual games suck. As he admits in the review, everyone's always down for some mindless 'idiot' fun. Scathing namecalling aside, it's true. The main things he criticizes are the Wiimote's continued shortfalls and the strangeness of a dogfighting minigame in a sports simulator. So, while your analogy makes sense, I don't think that games which don't aim to please the hardcore crowd should receive better treatment just because they're not trying (Obviously, this analogy does not apply to humans, as mentally handicapped kids didn't choose to be vegetables).

Meh. I can see people disagreeing with his opinion, but there's no reason to call him out on a perceived bias when he's a critic. This is his job. And probably his only redeeming talent.

I kid, I kid.

saiyanwarrior

Jun 14, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
We definitely need a good stealth game. We also need a stealth game that incorporates the picking of locks, tapping of phone lines, and investigation of evidence pointing to terrorist activity rather than solving an international crisis by shooting anybody in the area who isn't white directly in their non-Caucasian faces.

Sid Meier's Covert Action did this waaaaay back in the day but such things are too boring for most people who consider Halo the pinnacle of an immersive action experience.
" Halo the pinnacle of an immersive action experience" ROFL good one I can't believe I used to like those games give me summoner 1 or 2 any day of the week.may have been volitions first attempts at rpgs but damnn were they good if you can handle a few gameplay issues for stonking story and actual characters with depth instead of card-board cut outs.

Turnabout Clerk

Aug 10, 2009
Wow....... if Yahtzee's suggestions make it into a Wii mini-game collection, I'll stop my "I don't favor any system" mindset and run to the 360 and PS3. And I'd burn my Wii in a bonfire of all the shitty games on the damn thing.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
CuddlyCombine said:
Lovesfool said:

You realize that he's assigned these, right? He doesn't choose to do them. See, the Escapist picks them, gives them to him to review, and he gets paid to attract us viewers.

Also, note that nowhere does he criticize the game for lack of playtime or insufficient challenges. He just thinks the Wiimote is shite. As should all rational people.

Suikun said:

He's not saying that casual games suck. As he admits in the review, everyone's always down for some mindless 'idiot' fun. Scathing namecalling aside, it's true. The main things he criticizes are the Wiimote's continued shortfalls and the strangeness of a dogfighting minigame in a sports simulator. So, while your analogy makes sense, I don't think that games which don't aim to please the hardcore crowd should receive better treatment just because they're not trying (Obviously, this analogy does not apply to humans, as mentally handicapped kids didn't choose to be vegetables).

Meh. I can see people disagreeing with his opinion, but there's no reason to call him out on a perceived bias when he's a critic. This is his job. And probably his only redeeming talent.

I kid, I kid.
I know this reply is way too late to make any sense any more, but still, I could not let it go.

I don't have a problem with Zero Punctuation. Actually, although I am sure that was not the intent at all, most of the times I agree with the review and think it is pretty fair (sarcasm included and all). Once you get comfy with the lingo, you can really draw a conclussion on every game mentioned.

That is why I don't think he actually spent too much time on the game, because otherwise he would have got to the point where single player becomes way too hard for a casual gamer. As casual games go, perhaps that is the true barrier in the game, which may allienate the people accustomed to playing Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Wii Sports Resort is HARD.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Lovesfool said:
I know this reply is way too late to make any sense any more, but still, I could not let it go.

I don't have a problem with Zero Punctuation. Actually, although I am sure that was not the intent at all, most of the times I agree with the review and think it is pretty fair (sarcasm included and all). Once you get comfy with the lingo, you can really draw a conclussion on every game mentioned.

That is why I don't think he actually spent too much time on the game, because otherwise he would have got to the point where single player becomes way too hard for a casual gamer. As casual games go, perhaps that is the true barrier in the game, which may allienate the people accustomed to playing Wii Sports or Wii Fit. Wii Sports Resort is HARD.
That's to be assumed with this sort of thing, though. When you've got a sandbox game which revolves around you completing the same task again and again at increasing levels of difficulty, it almost always gets past the threshold of "twitch-gamer" difficulty.

Mar 1, 2009
I don't think Yahtzee can really tell people their opinion is wrong because some people aren't that bothered by certain things you are. For instance, he mentioned in his Assasins review that the ending was shitty because there were too many dudes to murder. I played it, and although I noticed this, it didn't really bother me because it was so awesome to do the non-lethal counter on some rent-a-cop guard then stride over and finish him with the hidden blade.