Wii U Sells $30 Million More Than Wii at Launch

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Wii U Sells $30 Million More Than Wii at Launch

Everyone seems to love the New Super Mario Brothers U.

Christmas was good for Nintento, particularly on the Wii U sales front, as its latest console sold $30 million more in hardware than the Wii did when it first launched. Hard to believe it's only been six weeks since the Wii U hit the market, but in that time the U.S. has seen $300 million worth of hardware sales, with more than 460,000 units bought - over half the total number - in December alone.

New Super Mario Bros. U is by far the most popular pick-up title, with more than 580,000 units sold. Given that the overall sales for the Wii U since launch is 860,000 units, that means more than 65% of those in the U.S. who bought Nintendo's latest console had Mario's coin-grabbing adventure bundled with it.

"The demand for the Deluxe SKU," said Nintendo's sales and marketing man Scott Moffitt, "which was essentially sold out at retail this holiday, and the strong attach rate of New Super Mario Bros. U, shows that we have the value and the games to drive momentum in 2013."

"We look forward to offering great new experiences and bringing smiles to millions of new faces throughout the year," Moffitt added.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ummm, have those figures been adjusted for inflation?

Just curious. I'm too lazy to look up the numbers and do the math with them right now.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
2 things:

1) WiiU costs $50 to $100 more than the Wii did.

2) Wii was in short supply, who knows what it would have sold if there wasn't a supply shortage.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
OMG Make up your minds is the Wii U selling well or poorly. You show one article saying it's selling bad and the next day you show another saying the exact opposite.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Just goes to show that even if you put a Nintendo logo on a turd, fans will lap it up.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Leviano said:
Just goes to show that even if you put a Nintendo logo on a turd, fans will lap it up.
Or that internet users are judgemental, condescending arseholes.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Mr Cwtchy said:
Leviano said:
Not very polite are we? :) I merely stated my opinion without resorting to profanity. Like some others aren't able to do.

Oh sorry....was that condescending too? :O

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
disgruntledgamer said:
OMG Make up your minds is the Wii U selling well or poorly. You show one article saying it's selling bad and the next day you show another saying the exact opposite.
Or it could be that they report on what is said and you, the reader, get to interpret what the article is about. Rather than have the news make the opinion for you, make up your own.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Leviano said:
Mr Cwtchy said:
Leviano said:
Not very polite are we? :) I merely stated my opinion without resorting to profanity. Like some others aren't able to do.

Mr Cwtchy said:
I think both of you need to take a step back before you both become, "that guy".

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Leviano said:
Mr Cwtchy said:
Leviano said:

Mr Cwtchy said:
I think both of you need to take a step back before you both become, "that guy".
I agree, thanks for the advice.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I love how some people just cannot accept that Nintendo is a quality game company.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Good to see it's actually making a decent amount of dosh and hopefully before summer I'll have one with a good library of games.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
disgruntledgamer said:
Or it could be that they report on what is said and you, the reader, get to interpret what the article is about. Rather than have the news make the opinion for you, make up your own.
No...I'm with that guy. First, we see Nintendo go "OMG WE FAIL!" and then we see them go "Nah, it's cool. We're doing great." It's confusing, if only from an informative point of view.
That's not to say the article will dictate whether we should buy the WiiU or not. I mean, if someone likes the system, they're gonna buy it despite what people say, right? I'm just saying they're contradicting themselves and it's confusing.

Also...

Karloff said:
"Christmas was good for Nintento..."
"...for Nintento..."
"...Nintento..."
NINTENTO! 8D

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Beautiful End said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
disgruntledgamer said:
No...I'm with that guy. First, we see Nintendo go "OMG WE FAIL!" and then we see them go "Nah, it's cool. We're doing great." It's confusing, if only from an informative point of view.
That's not to say the article will dictate whether we should buy the WiiU or not. I mean, if someone likes the system, they're gonna buy it despite what people say, right? I'm just saying they're contradicting themselves and it's confusing.
Its not contradictory reporting. Its overreaching conclusions. All that's been said in the articles lately has been that Iwata acknowledging that the Wii U isn't selling as much as the Wii. (Not OMG we're FAILING), followed by this article stating that the Wii U made $30 million more than the Wii.

Now if you pay attention, you'd factor inn that the Wii U is a decent bit more expensive than the Wii and also isn't in shortage like the Wii, so the above article makes sense when looked at articles where the Wii U's unit sales being lower are the focus.

Its not confusing as all, its just not the pre-chewed news that most of the media has become. Come on.

And this is coming from a person who isn't Nintendo's biggest fan right now.