Wii U Virtual Console Live in North America

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Wii U Virtual Console Live in North America

Take your pick of eight NES and SNES games now available on the Wii U.

When Nintendo said the Wii U Virtual Console launch was "imminent," it wasn't kidding. Just a day after the release of a load time-reducing system update, the Wii U now has its own Virtual Console, complete with a handful of retro favorites from the 8-bit and 16-bit days. NES games currently available on the Wii U are Ice Climber, Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong Jr., Excitebike, Kirby's Adventure, and Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream; they're joined by Super NES titles F-Zero and Super Mario World. The Nintendo titles go for $4.99, and the SNES games will set you back $7.99.

That's not a whole lot of games, but as Satoru Iwata announced during the most recent Nintendo Direct [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123363-EarthBound-Is-Coming-to-Wii-Us-Virtual-Console], more are on the way, most notably Earthbound. The beloved RPG was released for the SNES almost 20 years ago, and fans have been clamoring for a Virtual Console release since the Wii launched in 2006.

Even with the lack of old-school titles currently available, it's nice to finally see the Wii U Virtual Console live. Maybe it shouldn't have taken five months, but better late than never... right?

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I've been saying for a while... if the can make a way for me to play DS (not even 3DS, just DS) games on the WiiU, a la Gamecube's Gameboy Adaptor, I will but a WiiU. I play games socially - with other people watching. There are dozens of titles I want on the DS, but sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with someone for hours over a tiny screen sucks, and playing games by myself is something I never do. So, if they either pull a Gamecube or start offering DS titles for straight download on the console... I'll buy it, and it will probably be the only console I buy this new generation. And I"ll spend a lot of money on it.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
SNES games for $8? That's a bit steep given that you can buy Psychonauts for $10 on Steam.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
I've been saying for a while... if the can make a way for me to play DS (not even 3DS, just DS) games on the WiiU, a la Gamecube's Gameboy Adaptor, I will but a WiiU. I play games socially - with other people watching. There are dozens of titles I want on the DS, but sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with someone for hours over a tiny screen sucks, and playing games by myself is something I never do. So, if they either pull a Gamecube or start offering DS titles for straight download on the console... I'll buy it, and it will probably be the only console I buy this new generation. And I"ll spend a lot of money on it.
I think if Nintendo were to do that they would most likely do something like a link cable that goes into the Wii U instead of an adapter, so you have to own the 3DS to play the games. But a 3DS/DS adaptor would be fucking awesome, even when the pixelation would be horrendous because barely 240p DS games would be stretched to 40" levels.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
kailus13 said:
SNES games for $8? That's a bit steep given that you can buy Psychonauts for $10 on Steam.
This, luckily I bought quite a few SNES games on the Wii so I'll probably re-buy them for £1.00. Can't wait for Super Metroid for 30p though.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
kailus13 said:
The price is heavily steep and that is why I won't rebuy them. NES should be around 2-3 bucks and SNES should be 5. Anything more than that seems like a price gouge when compared to other digital purchases.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
kailus13 said:
You can get it for $4.99 on PSN. That's were I got mine.
Edit: Guess I got it on sale. Lucky me. ^.^

OT:
IndomitableSam said:
Pretty much what I want. I was hoping that Nintendo would have made something for the DS for the Wii, but unfortunately that was not the case. I really want to be able to play my handhelds on the TV, mainly to record them, and a capture board for a 3DS/DS is expensive.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
IndomitableSam said:
I've been wanting this exact idea too :D

If they made a "DS Player" on the Wii U, I would be allllllllll over that. As would a fair few others I would imagine.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
So let me get this straight, Nintendo fan boys have been toting backwards compatibility for the Wii U and they don't even get to keep the virtual console games they bought on the Wii? Also, 8 titles? Wtf. If it's has backwards compatibility then all the games that worked on the Wii should work on the Wii U

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Given that I got a Donkey Kong Country cart for $10 a few months ago, which I'm certain is a good price for a physical cart, I don't think they have much of an idea of what people want to pay for a digital form of a game from the past...again.

I mean, at this point, do you really think people will want to pay $5 for another copy of SMB for their Wii U? It's the game known to have saved the industry, and at this point nobody should be denied from playing it regardless of financial situation or ownership of console - Just get it working on the Web and make it free as a favor to yourself, Nintendo. It's kinda ridiculous to still keep 1980s-era programming a secret...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
So let me get this straight, Nintendo fan boys have been toting backwards compatibility for the Wii U and they don't even get to keep the virtual console games they bought on the Wii? Also, 8 titles? Wtf. If it's has backwards compatibility then all the games that worked on the Wii should work on the Wii U
No, you get to keep VC titles due to the transfer. Furthermore, any titles you bought on the Wii can be upgraded with new Wii U features for a small fee.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Well........no need?

http://snesbox.com/ *

Enjoy your free SNES and NES games....AND they have a bigger selection.

*this is not supposed to be advertising for that page. It's just sad that it's easier to access these games on a PC than on an actual nintendo system.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
IndomitableSam said:
If they can do TWEWY with two players, I'd be forever grateful.