Wii U's Friend Codes Won't be as Awkward

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Wii U's Friend Codes Won't be as Awkward

The Wii U is coming with an improved friend code system and non-mandatory achievements.

Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aime has confirmed that the Wii U will be using a friend code system, but not the same one used for the company's current consoles. Under the Nintendo Network, which will eventually replace the current system, each user will have a unique account, rather than a friend code for each game they own.

"You will be able to identify people as friends and have a certain level of interaction vs. a different level of interaction for the more general population," he told Kotaku. "The method by which you identify someone as a friend is a lot simpler than what's happening today with Friend Codes."

Nintendo's friend code system was ostensibly introduced to keep impressionable young kiddywinks away from the various shambling, human horror-stories that inhabit the internet. While it worked in that regard, the system also made gaming with acquaintances a massive pain in the rear, as players would have to meet outside of the service and exchange their 12-digit friend codes before they could play together.

Achievements will also be making an appearance on the new platform, though unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo isn't making their inclusion mandatory for all titles. Fils-Aime also confirmed that the console won't feature any anti-used games technology.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-friend-codes-achievements-and-more-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions]

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
See, I am still seeing the words "Friend Codes" not usernames. So it still sounds iffy to me.

Still only needing one is infinitely better then the old system. I really hope this Nintendo Network actually works out. I would like to actually use my Wii U's online with friends.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Achievements will also be making an appearance on the new platform
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107185-Nintendo-Belittles-Achievements-As-Mythical-Rewards

Oh, Nintendo.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Arkley said:
Grey Carter said:
Achievements will also be making an appearance on the new platform
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107185-Nintendo-Belittles-Achievements-As-Mythical-Rewards

Oh, Nintendo.
They're not making them mandatory. They are just giving developers the option to use them.

Now if their next Zelda or Mario game comes with them . . .

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I honestly don't see Nintendo as being fit for Trophies/Achievements. PS3 and 360 have always been more hardcore than the Wii, simply because they have a broader, better, more balanced selection of games. Nothing against the Wii; I like my Wii as much as I like my PS3 or my 360. But it's the truth.
So I can't really imagine finishing the first dungeon of the next Zelda game and a message popping up "CONGRATZ! U WON A TROPHY! LOZ!" or the same for a Mario game. It's just odd. Nintendo kinda just lets you play for leisure, whereas Sony and 360 do it more competitively. So having those makes more sense.

OT: Like someone said, I failed to see the word "Username" or "Gamertag" or anything of that sort in there. Nintendo, just give it up and get into the username system. You're already the last one to get into more open social gaming. Might as well admit your plan didn't go as planned and do it with dignity.

*Sigh* This is why we can't have nice things, Nintendo!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
See, I don't see the benefit of a friend code over, say... a friend-request system.

Any kid can give out his friend code to total strangers no problem, just as he can hand out friend requests or accept random friend requests.

What's the goddamn difference?

Please just ease our minds, Nintendo. Usernames. That's all we're asking of you.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
See, I am still seeing the words "Friend Codes" not usernames. So it still sounds iffy to me.
I've got to agree with this. Friend codes was terrible. I liked how Nintendo actually allowed gifting through the shop unlike Xbox, but I never bothered to register my friends because it was such a hassle so I never ended up using it at all. I wish they could just go with user accounts like any sensible company.

Bitcoon

May 16, 2012
Innegativeion said:
See, I don't see the benefit of a friend code over, say... a friend-request system.

Any kid can give out his friend code to total strangers no problem, just as he can hand out friend requests or accept random friend requests.

Please just ease our minds, Nintendo. Usernames. That's all we're asking of you.
There actually IS a benefit. A 12-digit code may be somewhat of a hassle to enter if people don't separate them into easy-to-read groups of 4 digits like they appear on the console, but it's actually significantly easier to enter ####-####-#### on a 10 digit keypad than it is to enter xXNarUt0darkWolffXx on a full on-screen keyboard.

More importantly is what it does for usernames. You can put in whatever you want as your name and you don't have to change it fifteen times and re-validate it over and over each time as you search for one that's not taken. For instance, if I wanted to be known as Bob to all my friends, I can do that and it's not an issue that 15 other people have the same name on their accounts. There is a possibility of running into the other Bobs and causing a bit of confusion, but it's not likely to be much worse than people using capital I in place of lowercase L or VV instead of W to get the same names. The unoriginality and ridiculous lengths people go to to get unique names is a negative that this system actually works around.

OT: I think the biggest problem with Nintendo's system is NOT friend codes and it never has been. You guys are seeing the wrong part of the problem. It's a hassle to enter 16 numbers on your Wii, sure, but what's worse is that BOTH players have to register each other and there's no communication if someone's registered you or you entered the wrong number. Imagine if XBL or PSN did the same thing. That would SUCK just as much! What if you couldn't register people you meet in games as friends, or check out their profiles, or send people messages at will, provided they don't have online content blocking levels that turn off that functionality for them? Then you would have Nintendo's system with the Wii.

The 3DS was a big improvement on the Wii, but there's still quite a ways to go before they're at the level of PSN/XBL. No way to message friends, and the only "messaging" you can do outside of Swapnote (which can't be accessed without exiting other programs) is sent to all friends like a 16-character Facebook status update. Seriously, 16 characters? That makes Twitter's minimalist message length seem like a godsend! Also, it seems it's up to individual games to give you the ability to friend people you meet randomly online. Which means it doesn't happen often.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Bitcoon said:
Innegativeion said:

There actually IS a benefit. A 12-digit code may be somewhat of a hassle to enter if people don't separate them into easy-to-read groups of 4 digits like they appear on the console, but it's actually significantly easier to enter ####-####-#### on a 10 digit keypad than it is to enter xXNarUt0darkWolffXx on a full on-screen keyboard.
So it's easier to enter a 12 digit number than to simply go to a friend's friend list and add them?
Because I think that's what they should be integrating, not some friend code shit

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Bah. Friend codes are stupid. Just let people make user accounts... idiots. There is something wrong with you if you think that making it so people who already know each other can play together and no one else. Imagine if Valve did that? They wouldn't be the monsters they are today.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Sorry, Nintendo is still entirely irrelevant to my gaming hobby. Maybe if they get back to actually making a semi-constant stream of video games and stop pumping out mini-game collections for their gimmick ridden hardware systems, I'd be more interested.

OintmentFly

Sep 16, 2010
It's because they're thinking about the children!

WHY WON'T ANYBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
JustanotherGamer said:
Can you tell me anything that's good about achievements other than the boner you get every time you hear that plink noise?
Well, if the developers have a good sense of humor...

Portal 2 said:
Lunacy
That just happened

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I think they should just stop trying to put barriers up for all people. For children, sure, have a parental setting, Xbox has one, and I'm sure PS3 does. But don't have a universal system that limits interactions with strangers, just let people choose what they want to do. Give people freedom. Let people choose if they want to interact with just their friends, or strangers as well. I get that with Nintendo's current market it makes sense to be cautious with how children interact with others online, but there are other ways around it than restricting everyone the same way. Make it an opt-out option or opt-in, it doesn't matter.
I may just be overreacting to a non-issue, but the statement

"You will be able to identify people as friends and have a certain level of interaction vs. a different level of interaction for the more general population,"

has me worried that Nintendo may once again put up barriers against the general population for everyone.

You always hear about Xbox Live, and how it can foster the worst kind of people, but at the same time, I've had a lot of great experiences with people I met in an online game, people who I later befriended. It just seems a little condescending that Nintendo feels the need to tell me who I can and can't fully interact with/play with online.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
Bitcoon said:
Innegativeion said:

So it's easier to enter a 12 digit number than to simply go to a friend's friend list and add them?
Because I think that's what they should be integrating, not some friend code shit
*Whoosh*

That's the sound of the point and explanation going straight over your head.

Not a single friend that I've added on XBL has been a 'friend of a friend' and would be impossible to add under your system. Probably 1/4 of my friends required either me or them to enter the other's username manually. Which is a helluva lot harder than typing in 12 numbers.

Your idea would also be useful for a couple of instances, but keeping the numbers makes it far easier for adding friends as long as friend-requests and the other stuff that he talked about are implemented.