Wii Wings Flap Wii Accessories to New Lows

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Wii accessories have hit a new level of "Why?" with CTA Digital's Wii Wings.

Ever wanted to know what it's like to be a bird? Get a pair of CTA Digital's Wii Wings [http://www.ctadigital.com/item.asp?item=2809]. They're designed for use while playing a single Wii Fit Plus mini-game, and aim to give Wii players the true experience of flying.

Wii Wings might look like glorified potholders, but they're much, much more. CTA is marketing them towards those that love Wii Fit Plus [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75108]'s Bird's-Eye Bulls-Eye where players must flap their arms to fly a chicken onto targets to score the most points. According to CTA, Wii Wings will "help you to truly experience what its like to be a bird."

They'll also "add a sensation that you will not feel mimicking a flying chicken with your hands alone," and reportedly "take your flying experience to another level." Wii Wings tout features such as "finger loops" and "Velcro closers at wrist." Don't forget to follow CTA's instructions while using Wii Wings either:

1. Slide fingers into finger slots
2. Secure wrist strap
3. Flap your wings and fly

I'm not one to bash a viable business opportunity, as I'm sure there are people out there that will purchase and enjoy the Wii Wings to no end. Let's face it, these things are pretty damn absurd though, and they highlight the new "absolutely nothing" market of accessories that has been created around the Mario Kart Wii [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77796], or that golf club/tennis racket Wii Remote attachments are actually more than pieces of plastic.

CTA's marketing slogans are basically a load of bunk, even saying that Wii Wings will help players "achieve a higher score." With Sony and Microsoft planning to join Nintendo in the motion control department later this year, it turns my stomach a little to think of the accessories that will be filling up videogame store shelves to capitalize on the lack of knowledge casual consumers may have about what is a controller and what isn't.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Mind if i call it? I call some dumnass kid trying to fly by jumping off somthing high with these things on his hands and he gets hurt, and the Wii is sued, but im sure on this box will say somewhere "You can not fly with these things."

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
ziggybogidou said:
This is why people hate the wii.
I have to say I cannot blame them.
But.....now we can REALLY feel what is like to flap our chicken wings!!!!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
ziggybogidou said:
Agreed. And I actually own a Wii!

What's the betting that a number of PS3/Xbox fanboys who will directly blame Nintendo for this third party waste of space?

Dan B

Mar 6, 2010
Tom Goldman said:

aim to give Wii players the true experience of flying,
Wii Wings will "help you to truly experience what its like to be a bird."
"take your flying experience to another level."
3. Flap your wings and fly

Frankly anyone who believes any of those marketing gems should be encouraged to test them by leaping off a tall building,
apart from the fact they will undoubtedly be expensive they look "penis in blender stupid"
who makes these things?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Kmadden2004 said:
ziggybogidou said:

What's the betting that a number of PS3/Xbox fanboys who will directly blame Nintendo for this third party waste of space?
I own a wii too(and have since release day) but yes, this isn't niintendo's fault.
but they started it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
The Wii is a toy. This is exactly the sort of make-believe crap that has been foisted on children for decades in the very same department of the store, and you know what? Kids love it. Well, maybe not these worthless hunks of birdshit - but if you marketed the same thing as Princess Barbie Fairy Wings and packed in a five dollar "let's fly with Barbie and talk to unicorns about magazines" game for the Wii, I bet you'd have every 5yo girl begging for one.

For boys, on the other hand, I'm totally looking forward to the day when I can actually use a toy gun to shoot things in a video game (Natal developers I'm looking at you!)

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Crapster said:

I still love you, Nintendo.

But crap like this makes it rather difficult!
It's not Nintendo's fault. This is a 3rd party thing. Which USUALLY isn't licensed by Nintendo. I've seen a lot of third party stuff that isn't licensed or endorsed by Nintendo.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
ziggybogidou said:

Woahhhhhhhhh there! I knew my 360fanboi sense was tingling!

I enjoy nintendo because it first party titles are awesome, and everything else seems, well, meh. The amount of peripherals that are comign out are simply ridiculous though (unless they are cool, ala 3rd party wii zapper-pistols/heart moniter thing)

Also, XBOX FO' LIFE (Insert awkward gang hand motion here)

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I wonder how Sony is gonna try and copy this.
Zing!

OT:Its stupid third party junk......

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
ziggybogidou said:
Dark Templar said:
ziggybogidou said:
But.....now we can REALLY feel what is like to flap our chicken wings!!!!
Yes... I suppose we can.
If we cannot I call false advertising.
Oh wait......I just had a great idea.

Family guy, Peter vrs Giant Chicken THE GAME.

/thread

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I feel obligated to remind everyone that most of these crap accessories aren't developed by Nintendo.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I feel obligated to remind everyone that most of these crap accessories aren't developed by Nintendo.
But the Balance board, Gun steering wheel etc are.
Therefore they started it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
ziggybogidou said:
canadamus_prime said:
But the Balance board, Gun steering wheel etc are.
Therefore they started it.
What's wrong with the Balance Board or the Steering Wheel? Those actually serve a purpose unlike the those shitty sports things or these wings.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Crapster said:

I still love you, Nintendo.

But crap like this makes it rather difficult!
Every time I see something this stupid thrown out by Nintendo, I always remember Pokemon Yellow and it calms me down... but this is getting out of hand. This is third party, yes, but it doesn't need to exist. It really slaps you in the face with the reality that Nintendo has billions if not trillions of dollars, yet they are afraid to try anything risky that might be good.