WiiU "may not necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now"

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Title pretty much sums it up. After continued rumors of the WiiU being head and shoulders above both the PS3 and the Xbox 360 Miyamoto in a recent interview claimed that due to pricing concerns the upcoming WiiU "may not necessarily dramatically outperform the systems that are out now". He went on to add that adding a touch screen tablet controller was also "somewhat reckless" from a pricing standpoint.

What I take away from this interview is that the WiiU won't be so much a "next gen" console but more a beefed up "current gen" console coming in at the ass end of this console generation's life span. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony and Microsoft announce their "next gen" consoles shortly after the WiiU hits and ultimately end up back at where we were the vast majority of this console generation with Sony and Microsoft leaps and bounds ahead of Nintendo in terms of hardware.

hannes2

Dec 10, 2010
That will probably depend on how much more processing power Sony and Microsoft (although Microsoft doesn´t seem to feel like announcing a new console soon) will cram into their "next gen" consoles. While there is room for improvement, I doubt the leap will be as visible as it was from, say, the Ps2 to the Ps3, maybe not even visible enough to justify a new console generation. Plus, if Nintendo says their new console won´t dramatically outperform current consoles because of pricing concerns, wouldn´t everyone trying to do that run into the same problems?

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Luthir Fontaine said:
with nintendo it really doesnt matter. I mean how high def can Mario be?
Pretty much that. Graphics only take a game so far...Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are still two of the prettiest games I've ever played, and certainly two of the most fun.

harv3034

Sep 23, 2010
Does this actually surprise anyone???

Seriously, Nintendo has kinda been playing catch-up in regards to graphics since the Game Cube.

Luthir Fontaine said:
This brings me to another point; that Nintendo dosent need the most advanced and photorealistic graphics.
They always have, and always will, make money by putting out iconic first party games on new interesting systems that force others to completely rethink their next move (see Gameboy and Wii).

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
hannes2 said:
That will probably depend on how much more processing power Sony and Microsoft (although Microsoft doesn´t seem to feel like announcing a new console soon) will cram into their "next gen" consoles. While there is room for improvement, I doubt the leap will be as visible as it was from, say, the Ps2 to the Ps3, maybe not even visible enough to justify a new console generation. Plus, if Nintendo says their new console won´t dramatically outperform current consoles because of pricing concerns, wouldn´t everyone trying to do that run into the same problems?
I'd just like to point out that they can drastically increase the amounts of RAM in both consoles, which will jump ahead game development by a fair amount. Games are developed for consoles with 512 MB of RAM at the moment, whereas almost all computers have a minimum of 1 GB of RAM, and the most high-tech have ranges upwards of 32 GBs of RAM. You may think the processor and graphics card are the most important parts, and with how old the hardware in the PS360's are, they make a huge difference, but the RAM will cause a massive jump.
EDIT: Plus, hardware in the range of 2009-2010 is leaps and bounds better than hardware that began development in 2000.

Graphics will not improve much in the next console generation, but aesthetics will. Or at least I hope they will.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3201-Graphics-vs-Aesthetics

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
hannes2 said:
I'd just like to point out that they can drastically increase the amounts of RAM in both consoles, which will jump ahead game development by a fair amount. Games are developed for consoles with 512 MB of RAM at the moment, whereas almost all computers have a minimum of 1 GB of RAM, and the most high-tech have ranges upwards of 32 GBs of RAM. You may think the processor and graphics card are the most important parts, and with how old the hardware in the PS360's are, they make a huge difference, but the RAM will cause a massive jump.

Graphics will not improve much in the next console generation, but aesthetics will. Or at least I hope they will.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3201-Graphics-vs-Aesthetics
Nintendo is all about Aesthetics thankfully, I can only hope they bring out there older titles from the NES and revive them.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
666Chaos said:
So? When has sony and microsoft being leaps and bounds ahead in terms of hardware ever hurt nintendo. I mean come on neither of them are anywhere close to nintendo when it comes to sales this console generation.
In generation 6 or the Gamecube/PS2/xbox era is when they were hurt

If this speculation about horespower is true, then yes, Nintendo is going to be right back where they were. Which if they are behind the curve on horsepower, it will invariably curtail any hopes they had of rekindling interest of the core demographic which was supposedly their goal behind getting confirmation on more core games like Arkham city and Battlefield.

If this is what they intend to do then it proves to me that the resurgence and luck they had with the Wii was just a fad they failed to capitalize on long term.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
666Chaos said:
So? When has sony and microsoft being leaps and bounds ahead in terms of hardware ever hurt nintendo. I mean come on neither of them are anywhere close to nintendo when it comes to sales this console generation.
The entire decade prior to the Wii is the first thing that springs to mind. The N64 and the Gamecube were both sucking hind tit behind Sony, and later Microsoft. It wasn't until the Wii became a fad with the previously untapped casual crowd that Nintendo found any kind of commercial success in about a decade and a half.

Sadly that commercial success did not do much for the actual quality of the product as the vast majority of the titles on the Wii were largely shovelware meant to cater to the lowest common denominator due to the average Wii not having terribly discerning tastes when it comes to gaming. As long as the little guy on the screen throws the bowling ball when they waggle the controller it's all good with them.

Furthermore, Nintendo has yet to prove they can duplicate this success with another home console. I fall into the the camp who has the opinion that they caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. The casual market likely won't go as ape shit over Nintendo's next console as they will already have, and are content with, their Wii and both games they own for it. That will leave it to the core audience to make it a success or failure.

Unfortunately for Nintendo I just don't see the vast hardcore gaming crowd flocking to something that is pretty much a 360/PS3 with a bulky tablet for a controller. Where's the incentive? The incentive to buy one for an upgrade in tech is looking like it won't be there. Maybe first party Nintendo titles but that hasn't been a deciding factor in any other of the console generations so I fail to see why it would be now all of a sudden. I think it's just going to be too little too late for the hardcore crowd.

That's going to leave them with both sides of their target audience happy with the consoles they already have for one reason or another. I just don't see who they expect to buy this thing. Sure you are going to have your die hard Nintendo fans like that fool who wears his Power Glove out in public but I doubt those folks are large enough to really count for anything.

I agree that Nintendo has lead the pack commercially with the Wii. However, the WiiU is a whole different beast and I honestly think that the magic is over and reality will come crashing down on Nintendo with this new console. I really think the WiiU will have all the apathy and disenchantment the Wii was targeted with from the hardcore crowd but without the support the Wii enjoyed from the casuals taking them multiple steps back to the N64/Gamecube days.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Luthir Fontaine said:

the spud

May 2, 2011
As long as it has a wii transfer mechanic that allows me to port over my 20+ virtual console games, they can release a brick with a turd on it and I will be happy.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The truth is that it doesn't need to dramatically outperform the PS3 or 360. And I don't want it to do dramatically outperform those consoles. It's just not necessary.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
horrifying snip
I was hoping I'd never see that picture again.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DustyDrB said:
The truth is that it doesn't need to dramatically outperform the PS3 or 360. And I don't want it to do dramatically outperform those consoles. It's just not necessary.

Dirty Hipsters said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
horrifying snip
You have to admit though, it fit the situation perfectly.

OT: I think this is an important point. They said that the Wii U would be for hardcore gamers with AAA titles like Battlefield 3 and Darksiders 2.

If it doesn't have much over the PS3 and X360 tech-wise...then what warrants buying a completely new console at like $400, when you have a perfectly good PS3/X360 for those games?

After the 3DS thing, I would think that Nintendo would lay off the risks for a bit...guess not.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
the spud said:
...they can release a brick with a turd on it and I will be happy.
Ah, Nintendo devotees. ;)

Anyway, this isn't shocking in the least bit. How anyone with any common sense believed the Big N would be able to sell a more powerful console than the PS3 + tablet controllers at a competitive price-point is beyond me.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
DustyDrB said:

Dirty Hipsters said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
horrifying snip
If it doesn't have much over the PS3 and X360 tech-wise...then what warrants buying a completely new console at like $400, when you have a perfectly good PS3/X360 for those games?
The new controller.
They ask you to pay another 400$ so you can see the HUD in the controller..

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Hey, it turns out exactly what I said when the first story came out was completely accurate and true. Colour me surprised.