Will CoD Ghosts rival GTA V in profits come launch day?

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
This isn't a which game is better then the other topic. But I wanted to ask you my fellow escapists, if you think Call of Duty: Ghost will topple, or near GTA V's sudden record breaking profits on launch day? I am sure it'll be a huge success as it always has been, but given GTA V's success today, do you believe CoD: Ghosts will make better then that on launch day or will it be very close?

I, myself am not sure, I do know CoD will sell millions on day one, but I do lean towards it being close to GTA V, possibly a tie.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Its possible but improbable I am sure the next gen version will sell well because of a lack of games on the system but I believe the series has already reached saturation point and people are getting sick of it at least from my experience of people I know who used to buy every copy.

GTA has had a long break which it sorely needed COD hasnt and I think it has run out of momentum so no I dont think it will beat GTA5 in sales and I dont think it will be as successful as Activision wants.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Its possible but improbable I am sure the next gen version will sell well because of a lack of games on the system but I believe the series has already reached saturation point and people are getting sick of it at least from my experience of people I know who used to buy every copy.

GTA has had a long break which it sorely needed COD hasnt and I think it has run out of momentum so no I dont think it will beat GTA5 in sales and I dont think it will be as successful as Activision wants.
I think why GTA is so successful whenever it comes out, it is because we don't get an annual release of GTA, unlike CoD, so theres time to crave it again. It might take years, but in the end we'll get a pretty good game from Rockstar.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
No I don't think so. GTA is bigger than COD. It is a much bigger event in the gaming world when a new GTA releases. Also I think we are at the point where we will see COD sales steadily taper off. I think Titanfall, Destiny and Battlefield will rule the next gen.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Berny Marcus said:
Maximum Bert said:

I think why GTA is so successful whenever it comes out, it is because we don't get an annual release of GTA, unlike CoD, so theres time to crave it again. It might take years, but in the end we'll get a pretty good game from Rockstar.
Yeah thats basically what I was getting at personally I really dont like GTA (or rockstar in general as I dont think they make very good games but thats just me) and I am not a huge fan of COD either but COD hasnt been treated well its being milked to death as it were give people their favourite food all the time and it starts to become wearying to most.

The same is happening with Assassins Creed and ofc it happened with Guitar Hero on a grand scale. Oh and the last couple of CODs from 3 onwards I have heard nothing but bad reports about the online mode especially with the last one so I think peoples faith is waning and they are less likely to believe it will be rectified this time.

Then again this COD has Riley so I am sure that will bring in millions of people (ok probably not).

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Berny Marcus said:
Maximum Bert said:

Yeah thats basically what I was getting at personally I really dont like GTA (or rockstar in general as I dont think they make very good games but thats just me) and I am not a huge fan of COD either but COD hasnt been treated well its being milked to death as it were give people their favourite food all the time and it starts to become wearying to most.

The same is happening with Assassins Creed and ofc it happened with Guitar Hero on a grand scale. Oh and the last couple of CODs from 3 onwards I have heard nothing but bad reports about the online mode especially with the last one so I think peoples faith is waning and they are less likely to believe it will be rectified this time.

Then again this COD has Riley so I am sure that will bring in millions of people (ok probably not).

Yeah people in the end are gonna get burned out by a milked franchise. It appears Mario is a huge exception of course lol.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Maximum Bert said:
Yeah thats basically what I was getting at personally I really dont like GTA (or rockstar in general as I don't think they make very good games but thats just me) [..]
Not to sound like a rabid Fanboy or anything, but mind explaining this? Just I've been playing Rockstar games since GTA San Andreas (The GTA Series, Bully, Red Dead Redemption) and I find they make pretty damn good games.

OT: To be honest, I think the only way both series can go is down at this point.
800 Million in 24 hours? How the Hell do you top that? Even if more people buy consoles next generation then in this one, that is a MASSIVE number to beat.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Haven't CoD sales been on the decline in the last couple games? I know I've heard that said by people but I never bothered to look into if it's actually true or not. Anyways, if it is true, than logic would dictate the answer is a definite no, considering GTA outsold the last CoD and the next CoD is projected to undersell the last CoD. Even then, I'd say it's a probable no anyways.

Maldark

Apr 27, 2010
Short answer no.

Long answer nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Due to the close proxminity to the release of the next gen consoles I doubt CoD will beat GTA's launch week.

Total sales will be in Ghosts favor as its both on current gen and next gen consoles.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Not really, Call of Duty sales as great as they are, can't quite match GTA V's number. If I had to guess, Ghosts will probably sell less than past Call of Duty games, I think people are finally losing interest in Call of Duty, it will still sell well mind you, but I bet it will start bleeding sales this year.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and Ghosts will somehow beat GTA V.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
But..but.. Ghosts will have a.. DOG! Surely that innovation will sell billions of copies!

I hope CoD Ghosts bombs.. haven't enjoyed CoD since World at War. Such a fun SP campaign. So in answer to the OP. Nope. Ghosts won't come close to that figure, but we still have morons that buy CoD regardless if it's shit.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I think that it just might, for two reasons.
1)I do believe that CoD series have much broader appeal than GTA, mainly because it's much simpler and shorter. You can complete CoD single player campaign in 5-6 hours and then occasionally enjoy multiplayer, while full completion of GTA5 might take up to 40 hours. I feel that mass audience is just not willing to invest so much.
2)CoD was probably much much cheaper to develop than GTA and that alone is enough to make it easier to profit.

But yeah, time will show.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
i don't believe it will but it will be close. i've met people who only get cod and maybe two other games a year and as long as the quality of the multiplayer holds up people will keep coming back.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
IllumInaTIma said:
I think that it just might, for two reasons.
1)I do believe that CoD series have much broader appeal than GTA, mainly because it's much simpler and shorter. You can complete CoD single player campaign in 5-6 hours and then occasionally enjoy multiplayer, while full completion of GTA5 might take up to 40 hours. I feel that mass audience is just not willing to invest so much.
2)CoD was probably much much cheaper to develop than GTA and that alone is enough to make it easier to profit.

But yeah, time will show.
but on the other hand...
1) GTA already has set a new records. the numbers are in so to speak, and the only unknown is if COD will set a new record again. personally i don't think with the whole next gen thing so close and a COD game being released every year it will seem as special, so i don't think it will quite make it
2) true, but whether or not it makes more profit isn't the question. the question is about first day sales, regardless of the profit. seeing as both games will mostly be priced the same (with maybe next gen selling at a higher price), it's pretty much a question of units sold.