Will Marvel Studios Next Big Star Be... Squirrel Girl?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Will Marvel Studios Next Big Star Be... Squirrel Girl?

Marvel has filed a trademark to protect the rights to one of their most unusual heroines

Marvel Studios is having a good weekend, with the once thought "risky" new franchise Guardians of The Galaxy debuting as a monster late-Summer hit. But if reports of a recent legal maneuver mean what some think they do, the studio may well have leaped ahead into full-on "showing off" mode: The studio has reportedly applied for a trademark for a fan-favorite character named Squirrel Girl.

Created by writer Will Murray and Spider-Man co-creator Steve Ditko in 1992, Squirrel Girl (real name: Doreen Green) is a young mutant gifted with superhuman strength, a bushy prehensile tail and other abilities like those of a common squirrel. She has also made use of retractable knuckle-spikes, a personal gyrocopter ("The Squirrel-A-Gig"), can communicate with actual squirrels and has had at least two of them (Monkey Joe and Tippy-Toe) as companion sidekicks.

Though intended as a one-off comedy-relief character who preposterously defeats Doctor Doom with help from a squirrel army in her first adventure, the character was found to be endearing by enough fans and writers to become a popular supporting player in the Marvel Universe. In recent years, she's frequently been portrayed as a kind of played-straight "Mary-Sue" figure, canonically defeating such Marvel heavy-hitters as Fin-Fang-Foom, MODOK, Baron Mordo, Korvac, Ego the Living Planet and even Thanos himself... off-panel. She has also defeated both Wolverine and Deadpool in hand-to-hand combat.

Trademark filings (Disney/Marvel already owns copyrights on its characters) have typically been undertaken by the publisher when the character in question is intended for use in one of its film or television ventures. Notably, Squirrel Girl's most prominent recent role in the Marvel Universe has been working as a babysitter for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones - both of whom will soon appear as part of Marvel's Netflix-exclusive Defenders multiseries.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/30/marvel-trademarks-squirrel-girl-cartoon-tv-or-film-appearance-on-the-way/]

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Oooh, linked to Powerman.

Can we please have Heroes for hire now? I want me some fist fights.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the end of days... I mentioned Squirrel girl and great lakes avengers as a joke when I was watching Guardians and now they are making it a reality? Stranger things I suppose. Heroes for Hire may be covered in those netflix series, but I hope they morph into a full blown Defenders movie. Get some Adam Warlock in there for GotGII, a dash of Doctor Strange, maybe some Hulk cameos, mix in Powerman and Iron Fist. The Avengers are the obvious A team, Defenders would be B team and the Guardians of the Galaxy as a solid C.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I can see them doing this just to get their first solo superheroine film out of the way and test how it goes before they try one of their primary superheroines.

Because it's much better for them is they flop at Squirrel Girl rather than say Black Widow/Ms Marvel/She-Hulk.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
There's no way Squirrel Girl is getting her own movie. She'll just defeat all the villains off screen in other people's movies.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
And so the Marvel quest to see what the line is marches on.
After this one makes $500 million, the only thinkg they have left to be more ridiculous is Deadpool Kills Deadpool

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yes please. I know nothing about this character, but she popped up a while ago in another article on this site and I liked her. She sounds like she'd be a fun character to have in the film.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I am now genuinely interested in how a movie featuring Squirrel Girl can turn out. I want to know what sort of villains will pit themselves against Squirrel Girl. I want to know exactly how a story concerning the growth and development of Squirrel Girl will pan out. I want to see her character booming at cosplay conventions.

Want.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
What's the appeal of her character? I've never encountered her in any form of media, so what is it that makes her so appealing as to be described as a "fan favourite"? In particular if she could be described as a Mary Sue, a description I only really see used as a negative one of a character.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Bedinsis said:
What's the appeal of her character? I've never encountered her in any form of media, so what is it that makes her so appealing as to be described as a "fan favourite"? In particular if she could be described as a Mary Sue, a description I only really see used as a negative one of a character.
She has a similar appeal that Deadpool has: In a universe of broody loners, outcasts, and people with other assorted issues, Squirrel Girl is a shining light of levity.

She's cheerful and perky, although unlike Deadpool, not self-aware. Her powers are absurd and (at least perceived to be) useless. But she gets by with wit and spunk. And the whole thing with her defeating enemies off-screen is a bit of a running gag.

I guess what I'm saying is that people like her because she's a likable character.

Captcha: you don't say!

Yeah, I know that last line was a bit on-the-nose, Captcha. But it's true.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Angelous Wang said:
I can see them doing this just to get their first solo superheroine film out of the way and test how it goes before they try one of their primary superheroines.

Because it's much better for them is they flop at Squirrel Girl rather than say Black Widow/Ms Marvel/She-Hulk.
The problem there is that this would likely close the door on future movies for those characters. It would also very likely lead to a loss of faith in Marvel because they can't spin straw into gold every single time.

Of course, if they can make Squirrel Girl work, then they can pretty much do anything they damn well please for the rest of time.

Leemaster777 said:
She has a similar appeal that Deadpool has: In a universe of broody loners, outcasts, and people with other assorted issues, Squirrel Girl is a shining light of levity.

She's cheerful and perky, although unlike Deadpool, not self-aware. Her powers are absurd and (at least perceived to be) useless. But she gets by with wit and spunk. And the whole thing with her defeating enemies off-screen is a bit of a running gag.

I guess what I'm saying is that people like her because she's a likable character.

And I don't know about her recent adventures, but the first couple were kind of funny simply because she annoyed...well, everybody in the stories. And while I haven't read more recent comics, there's something entertaining about Thanos claiming that she didn't really beat him and Uatu stepping in and saying yes, in fact, she totally did. Which, I'm told, is basically what happened.

Though I'm not sure how much of a Mary Sue she could be. I mean, of all the guys she could crush on, she pursues SPEEDBALL?

(and I say that as one of the three people who actually enjoys Speedball)

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
And in related news*, a new supporting heroine for the next Dragonball movie has been revealed: Haruhi Suzumiya.

*Not actually news or even a rumor.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
So in Avengers 3:
All the heroes lies beaten at Thanos' feet. Hopelessness permeates the scene as he inserts the final gem into the Infinity Gauntlet, unleashing the unimaginable power he so craves.
Nothing can stop him now as he is no longer a mere being constrained by physical laws, it's all so small to him, to his might. For a moment he even forgets it all, his goals, his needs, it all feels so insignificant. The indomitable will of this titan regains control however and he is ready to set things in motion.
Planets will burn, galaxies will cease to exist, the entire universe will weep blood. Even Death herself will be unable to comprehend the oncoming storm, as the ultimate god, Thanos unlea- and then Squirrel Girl shows up and beats him off screen.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Grimh said:
So in Avengers 3:
All the heroes lies beaten at Thanos' feet. Hopelessness permeates the scene as he inserts the final gem into the Infinity Gauntlet, unleashing the unimaginable power he so craves.
Nothing can stop him now as he is no longer a mere being constrained by physical laws, it's all so small to him, to his might. For a moment he even forgets it all, his goals, his needs, it all feels so insignificant. The indomitable will of this titan regains control however and he is ready to set things in motion.
Planets will burn, galaxies will cease to exist, the entire universe will weep blood. Even Death herself will be unable to comprehend the oncoming storm, as the ultimate god, Thanos unlea- and the Squirrel Girl shows up and beats him off screen.
I would watch it, but mostly to see how the mainstream moviegoing audience would handle it.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Houseman said:
Leemaster777 said:

Squirrel girl vs Deadpool. Make it happen Marvel...
They've fought before She's beat him onscreen a few times

She doesn't beat everyone off screen. Just the silly over the top fights.

People like Wolverine Deadpool, Bi Beast, Doctor Dooom ect. Those she beats fully onscreen.