Will Nathan Fillion Be an Avenger?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Will Nathan Fillion Be an Avenger?

With Joss Whedon now helming the Avengers movie, will there now also be a spot for Nathan Fillion?

It's no secret that Joss Whedon likes working with certain actors. Gina Torres, and Adam Baldwin were both in Dollhouse [http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Seasons-1-5-Collectors-Set/dp/B000TLTCU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276708939&sr=8-1]. So the idea that Whedon might find a spot in the Avengers movie for Nathan Fillion, who played Mal Reynolds in Firefly and Caleb in Buffy, isn't all that far-fetched.

There is a rumor that Fillion will play Henry Pym, better known as Ant-Man, who along with such characters as Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, was one of the founding members of the team. According to the rumor, there is supposedly an Ant-Man movie in the works, directed by Shaun of the Dead [http://www.amazon.com/Shaun-Dead-Dub-Sub-Ac3/dp/B0006A9FKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276709023&sr=1-1] director Edgar Wright, with an "inside source" saying that Fillion is "pretty much locked" in for the part, although Wright himself has denied it.

Of course, it's just as likely that all of these turns out to be a complete fabrication and that Ant-Man won't even appear in the Avengers movie. Ant-Man is hardly a high profile character and it would only be hardcore fans that would really miss him. Even so, it's fun to imagine Mal Reynolds rubbing shoulders with Thor and Tony Stark.

Source: Film Junk [http://www.filmjunk.com/2010/05/19/will-nathan-fillion-have-a-role-in-joss-whedons-avengers/]

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
It would be great seeing him the Avengers, he would fit in well. Here's to hoping this is true.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
There is a rumor that Fillion will play Henry Pym, better known as Ant-Man, who along with such characters as Thor, Iron Man and Captain America, was one of the founding members of the team. According to the rumor, there is supposedly an Ant-Man movie in the works, directed by Shaun of the Dead director Edgar Wright, with an "inside source" saying that Fillion is "pretty much locked" in for the part, although Wright himself has denied it.
That one paragraph could send most people into a nerdgasm. You should put a warning somewhere.

Calumon: WINCHESTER!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
To be honest i was hoping they were going to leave out Ant-man and hope that no one would notice..

..Sigh..

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Good couple of days for news - All I need is for Summer Glau to be in something high-profile and not-likely-to-be-cancelled and my triumvirate will be complete.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
I have a good feeling we'll see Ant-Man. After all, The Phantom and The Shadow films were released and close to nobody knew who they are.

Woem

May 28, 2009
How could you make an Avengers movie without Ant-man? It's bad enough that Captain America is so often regarded as one of the founding members, while Hulk (an actual founding member in Avenger #1) is so often disrigarded. I want Ant-man in there, and I want an Ant-man movie where he can go through some of his incantations as Giant-Man/Goliat/Yellowjacket/Wasp.

And then I want Kathleen De Vere as Janet van Dyne :D

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Logan Westbrook said:
Of course, it's just as likely that all of these turns out to be a complete fabrication and that Ant-Man won't even appear in the Avengers movie.
Marvel wouldn't leave Ant-Man (or Giant Man, or Yellowjacket - whatever he ends up as) out. He's like the Paul Giamatti of the Avengers.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Giant-Man/Ant-Man Nathan Fillion would be awesome-sauce. And who wouldn't exclude Marvel's No.1 spouse abuser? ;)
Woem said:
And then I want Kathleen De Vere as Janet van Dyne :D
Seconded!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Would love to see him in the Avengers! he plays a great role, and, I think would suit him too!

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Seeing as he plays a fairly important role in the civil war, yeah, Harry Pym should show up in The Avengers.

Mr. Fantastic should make a cameo as well...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
What about Nathan Fillion as...Nathan-Fillion-Man?

Able to cause nerdgasms with mere rumors!

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
It just seems like he can't leave mal behind him. I love firefly and I'm delighted Fillion's going to be in the avengers but does it really need to be said that:
Even so, it's fun to imagine Mal Reynolds rubbing shoulders with Thor and Tony Stark.

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
Seeing some of the roles that Fillion has played, he would make a better Hawkeye than an Ant-Man

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Virgil said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Of course, it's just as likely that all of these turns out to be a complete fabrication and that Ant-Man won't even appear in the Avengers movie.
Marvel wouldn't leave Ant-Man (or Giant Man, or Yellowjacket - whatever he ends up as) out. He's like the Paul Giamatti of the Avengers.
Not only that, but Hank Pym is one of the founding fathers of the Avengers, and the one that wrote the oath. He also creates Ultron, which is something you cant leave out of the movie.

Not only that, Hank Pym has made a great comeback in the comics these days as the Wasp

BlueInkAlchemist said:
Nathan would make a great Pym, or Hawkeye.
No no no no no no!
as much as I love Nathan Fillion he has non of the characteristics of neither Pym or Barton.
Nathan Fillion usually play an upbeat happy go lucky guy, where as Pym is a neurotic obsessive guy. And well Clint Barton is a more hardened badass, with just a little bit of Fillion in him.

But then again Fillion doesn't even look the part for either of them ;) And well he might be getting to old to be playing any of them.