Will Nintendo Dominate China? (If not, who will?)

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
As many of you have heard, and as many of you have not heard, China is lifting it's ban on Foreign Video Game Consoles [http://shanghaiist.com/2013/10/02/chinas_13-year_ban_on_video_game_co.php]. This is a fantastic turn of events because now, many western video games can be sold in China, and more companies can turn up a profit from there. However, all Video Games will still be monitored by the Ethics Police before they are put into Chinese Markets. As we all know, China's Communist government isn't a fan of:

- Violence in most varieties
- Western Ideals
- Individualism

Now, this is bad for a multitude of 3rd Parties, as well as Microsoft and Sony who do not have a lot of games that don't feature those things because of the need for a very detailed plot. Nintendo, on the other Hand, has none of these issues because they don't have very detailed plots that can talk about these kind of things. So, is it possible that Nintendo can dominate the newly opened China? If you don't think so, say who you think could Dominate China.

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
China's not much of a fan of Japan, either. I personally don't think any of the consoles will 'dominate' China; people will buy them, yes, but PC gaming will remain on top.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I highly doubt Nintendo is going to dominate China.

Just because the Chinese government doesn't like these traits, doesn't mean the people don't like them either. In fact, the people hate their government to an high degree.

That being said, China still hates the living guts out of Japan. And Sony and Nintendo are Japanese companies.
Microsoft is basically foreign to them, since they follow American ideals, and as far as they are concerned, PC is king there.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
China probably. I don't see nintendo dominating just because they might have be let in while most others are not. I feel a lot of nintendos games are mostly carried by nostalgia, something they won't have there. And most of their games are simple platformers. Isn't china mostly an rpg market? I see success being had by Chinese companies making games specifically for that market.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I wonder what effect consoles will have on what was a PC gaming only country. If I had to bet on a console, it would be the Xbone. I understand that they don't like Japan-related things over there.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
As far as I know, Nintendo have been releasing portables in China for years under the iQue brand. I don't know if those have been popular, though.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
CrankyStorming said:
As far as I know, Nintendo have been releasing portables in China for years under the iQue brand. I don't know if those have been popular, though.
Really? How did they manage to get away with that without being caught?

I figured the Chinese government would of caught on eventually.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Bit of Japan-o-phobia there, right? Nintendo likely won't do well there. China is primarily PC gaming focused and generally concerned with MMO's and MOBA's. Maybe some will do well, but don't hold your breath.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Going with most of the responses here, PC gaming will most likely be the dominant force. I could see Nintendo and Sony handhelds doing well though, but a total domination from one console manufacturer would be unlikely.

It doesn't help that there were recent events that only worsened the relationship between Japan and China. I forget what happened exactly, but things aren't peachy between the two countries. That might not affect trade as much as we think, but I doubt Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft could get their consoles in the front door without a bunch of annoyances.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Yeah, theres a divide between Japan and China thats just a lot bigger than the body of water that seperates thier countries would suggest.

So i wouldnt expect a Japanese brand to succeed in China in the same way that one of thier Chinese imiatations would.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hero of Lime said:
Going with most of the responses here, PC gaming will most likely be the dominant force.
A correction to that, PC gaming is already the dominant force. Chinese gamers have had access to VPN's allowing them to bypass the great firewall for quite a long time now, and i know that China has a number of MMO communities.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Dragonbums said:
CrankyStorming said:
Really? How did they manage to get away with that without being caught?

I figured the Chinese government would of caught on eventually.
Most likely because that sort of law gets created by some small pressure group and none of the politicians will oppose it because it's hard to argue against such a law without using taboo words like 'freedom'. But ultimately, no-one else gives a shit, especially not high ranking police officers who have murders, thefts, rapes, peace political protests and other serious issues to sort out.

Also, authoritarian countries with planned economies depend on their black markets. When there is a national shortage of toilet paper, a black market can mean the difference between business as usual and revolution.