Will Resident Evil 7's DLC Manage to Mess Up What the Game Fixed?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Will Resident Evil 7's DLC Manage to Mess Up What the Game Fixed?

So, just to reiterate a question I asked in the review, how do we think Resident Evil is going to fuck it up this time?

Read Full Article

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i thought re7 is a garbage,unscary, goofy game that's so unlike Resident Evil that it should have been an new, unrelated ip, which I suspect it started as. RE4 is still the last good RE game.. and night remain that way unless the RE2 remake is as good as the original version of RE2 was

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
"It's largely a river of garbage that flows from a perceived need to appeal to an increasingly strange fanbase not a million miles from the My Little Pony lads, but every now and again they do something like Sonic Color..."

Gasp, Yahtzee confirmed to be Rainbow Dash

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Great to have Extra Punctuation again!!!
Guess now that yer book is finished you managed to write some words not related to it; keep em coming!!!
Your books still 15 days away from my doorstep anyway...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But I liked Ethan more than any 2-dimensional resident evil character! They can't just throw him away after they've had their fill of praise, just to please the fanboys. Which are, by definition, eternally unpleasable. He could have a wonderful transformation through even more disturbing experiences as we share the mind-twisting horror with a DIY grenade launcher for mental relief funsies.
Am getting a weird parallel here with the
totally shite
films, in which Alice was forever praised as better than every other character, cos she's really totes awesome, you guis. Is this some long-game revenge plan from Capcom?
Capcom?..I don't think the writer/director even plays your damn video-game series!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, those Sonic fans are weird. They anthropomorphic characters. Crazy. We pony fans prefer our normal, brightly-colored ponies. Totally normal. ;-)

Guess I shouldn't have red the article. I had heard that the game ties back in with the main lore, but had been avoiding finding out how. My own fault, but it doesn't surprise me. I mean, there's a CGI movie coming out that has his team showing up at what looks like the same place, so...

Here's a thought! You can have the DLC be about a soldier, but don't have it be Chris! Have you play as one of the no-name, first day on the job guys that gets separated from the rest of the unit. A rehash of the first game? Yes, but think about it. Rookie soldier is now on his own, and while he's got the weapons, this is something completely out of his depth. How fun would it be to play someone who, on paper, should be able to tear these monsters apart, but when it's actually time, the monsters aren't going down like they should, or he freezes up, or...I don't know. I just think it'd be fun to play as random guy number six, instead of one of the unkillable characters.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
But I liked Ethan more than any 2-dimensional resident evil character! They can't just throw him away after they've had their fill of praise, just to please the fanboys. Which are, by definition, eternally unpleasable. He could have a wonderful transformation through even more disturbing experiences as we share the mind-twisting horror with a DIY grenade launcher for mental relief funsies.
Am getting a weird parallel here with the
totally shite
films, in which Alice was forever praised as better than every other character, cos she's really totes awesome, you guis. Is this some long-game revenge plan from Capcom?
Capcom?..I don't think the writer/director even plays your damn video-game series!
They never put Alice in one of these games, did they?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Not that I'm aware of. But the films did sideline all canon Resi Evil characters in favour of the director's own Mary Sue, as they all basked in her glory. Maybe Capcom got insecure? Am just talking pointless crap for the sake of it really. Take no notice ;)

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Is that Redfield really *the* Chris Redfield though? It doesn't look like him at all, or like Chris Redfield from the Vendetta movie (that is canon to the games, right?).

kimiyoribaka

Jul 11, 2012
That mario comparison doesn't work at all. Remember, the main progression of the mario franchise was donkey kong, mario bros. (different gameplay), super mario bros. (innovated gameplay), smb 2 (stagnated), smb 3 (blew up the scale), super mario world (toned it back and streamlined), super mario 64 (totally different), super mario sunshine (badly innovated), super mario galaxy (blew up the scale). Super mario land was a side game more comparable to majora's mask in its relation to the others, and it came out after super mario world. Looked at as a whole, mario did the RE thing long before RE did, but few complained because they were on different consoles (so less people played every game) and the fans always wanted more anyway.

As it is, I can't agree with the argument that mario has no where else to go until they make "Super Mario Time/Space Continuum". Even then, they'd still have "Super Mario String Theory" as an option.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Xsjadoblayde said:
He has, actually.

Ruisu said:
Is that Redfield really *the* Chris Redfield though?
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Redfield

No. He's an Umbrella Corps mercenary, while the actual Chris Redfield is still with the BSAA.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ruisu said:
Is that Redfield really *the* Chris Redfield though? It doesn't look like him at all, or like Chris Redfield from the Vendetta movie (that is canon to the games, right?).
I think it's either somebody posing as Chris or a Redfield sibling we never heard of.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
Darth_Payn said:
Not that I'm aware of. But the films did sideline all canon Resi Evil characters in favour of the director's own Mary Sue, as they all basked in her glory. Maybe Capcom got insecure? Am just talking pointless crap for the sake of it really. Take no notice ;)
Well, she's his wife... so he's gonna make her the best character and pop her in:

a) her birthday suit
or
b) skin tight "combat" outfits

as much as he can. (shrugs) If she's OK with it, the ones who paid to go see the movies with her in them if they don't like that she's "uber lady" are the morons...

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
KaraFang said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Darth_Payn said:
Well, she's his wife... so he's gonna make her the best character and pop her in:

a) her birthday suit
or
b) skin tight "combat" outfits

as much as he can. (shrugs) If she's OK with it, the ones who paid to go see the movies with her in them if they don't like that she's "uber lady" are the morons...
Yeah, I got no issue with them at all, it's rather a curious situation as the way Hollywood treats its' female talent is rather bad, and these movies are kinda a way around that issue for the people interested, I'm all ok with that method. And I've always had a soft spot for Jovovich anyway. (Shh!)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
"But that's OK, because unlike Resident Evil 1, we're not supposed to be veteran police or military officers - we're some random fuckwit in a very nicely pressed shirt."

Yet those same Highly Trained SWAT like STARS Police unit were slaughtered by these Zombies and Monsters:

So don't say because they are trained soldiers does not mean jack shit when your impaled by a Tyrant's clawed hand or overwhelmed by the sheer number of zombies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
"But that's OK, because unlike Resident Evil 1, we're not supposed to be veteran police or military officers - we're some random fuckwit in a very nicely pressed shirt."

Yet those same Highly Trained SWAT like STARS Police unit were slaughtered by these Zombies and Monsters:

So don't say because they are trained soldiers does not mean jack shit when your impaled by a Tyrant's clawed hand or overwhelmed by the sheer number of zombies.
To be fair, the majority of the zombies didn't run RE 1 (Original), RE 2, and RE 3 during gameplay. Those were cases of cut-scene power to the max.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CoCage said:
Samtemdo8 said:

To be fair, the majority of the zombies didn't run RE 1 (Original), RE 2, and RE 3 during gameplay. Those were cases of cut-scene power to the max.
You also have to factor more deadlier monsters like Zombie Dogs, Giant Spiders, Lickers, Hunters, and Tyrants, who can run.

And Zombies do run....when they are Crimson Heads:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
You also have to factor more deadlier monsters like Zombie Dogs, Giant Spiders, Lickers, Hunters, and Tyrants, who can run.

And Zombies do run....when they are Crimson Heads:

I intentionally took out the Crimson Heads because they were a retcon to link zombies and lickers together, and that's why I said RE 1 (Original) and not RE: Remake. And you had some zombies that ran in RE 2, 3 (especially this entry), and Code Veronica for the matter. They were just rarer to find. In the original PSX RE, it was less running and more let's speed up their walking animation that makes sprint like someone is hitting the fast forward button the zombie.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
If I was to compare the Resident Evil franchise to anything that helps me to understand it, it would have to be the Star Trek franchise. Just like how Star Trek can be more than just a story about the crew of the Enterprise looking for new stuff in space, Resident Evil can be more than just a Zombie Apocalypse story. Both franchises have handled specific genres very well with stories focused individually on action, horror, comedy and even drama. Even when RE4 dropped the zombies all together, no one really complained that that it wasn't a true bona fide Resident Evil title. Same goes with Star Trek. One episode you're dealing with a murder mystery involving Jack the Ripper, and next episode is a light hearted comedy with lovable creatures made of nothing but fur.

Another unfortunate set of similarities these two share are their missteps. And what's the most common misstep that each franchise has taken that has yielded unfavorable results? Reducing the stories to nothing more than action titles. Star Trek Nemesis tried to all action route and subsequently bombed both critically and financially. RE 5 and 6 greatly relied on action to carry the story and had way too many things going on to be comprehensible. Heck, even the JJ Abrams movies fall for that trap with their all action based settings.

So if this "Not A Hero" DLC puts more focus on the action element than the horror element from the main game, I still think it could work. It would change things up a bit and still have plenty of opportunities to make call backs to previous entries. I'm willing to give the creators the benefit of the doubt, especially since they're kind enough to it be free.