Will Shadow warrior 2 be best Pure SP FPS since Half life 2?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello,

So my friends, i was re watching Shadow Warrior 2 footage and this game is more anticipated than new Doom. When it comes to Pure Single player FPS. not counting FPS/RPG hybrids or others. I think this game looks like it will surpass anything in past. i mean open ended level design, fast paced old school gameplay, 70 WEAPONS,..

Shadow warrior 2013 reboot was pretty good game despite have terrible boss battle and shadow realm missions which were wastage of time. it was also very linear because they didnot had budget.

I see flying wild hog as successor of Valve since Valve is no longer game development Company. they earn billion dollar throught steam. Gabe nawell is billionair who should be trillionair but he is not because he dont want to release Half life 3 or any of thier game.

anyways what are your thoughts?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
What the hell is a 'Pure' Single Player FPS?

You're welcome!

OT: The footage I've seen looks super boring but I hate arcadey shooters like that so that's not exactly a surprise to me. I'm much more interested in something like Homefront (even if the first one was terrible, I hope they learned from their mistakes) or the new Deus Ex game or even maybe the new Titanfall game if they decide to include some content this time...

I have heard that it's rough around the edges but even Quantum Break looks like it would be more my cup of tea than SW2. Same with The Division or Rainbow Six Siege, although those are both unlikely as they seem to be completely multiplayer focused but I have no friends who want to play them with me :(

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...in Googling some names of games so I could remember what was coming out, is this slide I saw on a random website true and Bad Company 3 might be released? Because I want Bad Company 3...I want it...*sunglasses on* bad *yeeeeeeah!

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
tippy2k2 said:
AccursedTheory said:

You're welcome!

OT: The footage I've seen looks super boring but I hate arcadey shooters like that so that's not exactly a surprise to me. I'm much more interested in something like Homefront (even if the first one was terrible, I hope they learned from their mistakes) or the new Deus Ex game or even maybe the new Titanfall game if they decide to include some content this time...

I have heard that it's rough around the edges but even Quantum Break looks like it would be more my cup of tea than SW2.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...in Googling some names of games so I could remember what was coming out, is this slide I saw on a random website true and Bad Company 3 might be released? Because I want Bad Company 3...I want it...*sunglasses on* bad *yeeeeeeah!
that homefront game looks like any other generic millitary shooter.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
B-Cell said:
I'm not impressed by them showing me their Wang. There's more to it than that. I'd rather wait until there are a few reviews and Let's Plays on Youtube so I can watch some gameplay footage that isn't made by a marketing team. You remember how cool Aliens: Colonial Marines looked in the trailers?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
AccursedTheory said:

You're welcome!

Ok... I feel much better now.

I'm much more interested in something like Homefront (even if the first one was terrible, I hope they learned from their mistakes)
Just went and looked at the '101' trailer. Actually looks pretty neat. Unfortunately, I still don't think I can get over the game's positively retarded premise.

...or the new Deus Ex game
Haven't looked into Dues Ex much. I'm just going to wait until it gets released and people start talking about it. If it's more of the same, I'm in. If it has new stuff, that may be even better.

...even maybe the new Titanfall game if they decide to include some content this time...
Eh. Titanfall has a neat concept, but I'm afraid I refuse to purchase anything through Origin at this time.

I have heard that it's rough around the edges but even Quantum Break looks like it would be more my cup of tea than SW2.
I still can't get over the whole 'TV Show In My Game' thing. Otherwise, yes, looks pretty nifty.

From what I can see, it's still Vaporware.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
B-Cell said:
You really wanna know?

I think threads like this are a symptom of the worst kind of hype culture, which I loathe and despise. How about we judge the game when it comes out instead of biting into hype marketing. Have we forgotten about Aliens: Colonial Marines already? Pre-release developers can promise you the moon and stars and make everything about their product seem like the Second Coming. And what kind of merit is having 70 weapons anyway? Borderlands has literally millions of different weapons, but does that in and of itself make the game better? No.

B-Cell said:
this game is more anticipated than new Doom.
On whose authority, I might ask?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Half-Life 2 is not a pure FPS. Its half FPS, half puzzle game. Just cause it has no multiplayer boxed with it, and has guns, I don't think it has amazing gunplay. I didn't play it when it was new, but still, the shooting isn't what stood out to me.

Bilious Green said:
No. Wolfenstein: The New Order already took that title.
I can agree with that. If the new DOOM game truly tanks, then let the people who made TNO make a DOOM game. Maybe bring back the connections between the series that the "RPG" games did. Its cool to think it was BJ who destroyed the Cyber-Demon's original limbs.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
B-Cell said:
Bilious Green said:
No. Wolfenstein: The New Order already took that title.
it was COD with robots. waste of time.
Shadow Warrior is COD with swords and slightly racist undertones (From the protagonist).

See how this works?

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
Part of what makes Half-Life 2 so good is that it's not a ''pure'' FPS. You're not just shooting stuff, you're exploring, puzzle-solving, driving, things like that.
I also highly doubt Shadow Warior 2 will be better than shooters like Escape from Butcher Bay, F.E.A.R. and Bioshock.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Skatalite said:
Part of what makes Half-Life 2 so good is that it's not a ''pure'' FPS. You're not just shooting stuff, you're exploring, puzzle-solving, driving, things like that.
I also highly doubt Shadow Warior 2 will be better than shooters like Escape from Butcher Bay, F.E.A.R. and Bioshock.
FEAR and EFBB were excellent games no doubt but bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
B-Cell said:
Skatalite said:

FEAR and EFBB were excellent games no doubt but bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock
FEAR was just COD with bullet time and creepy little girls, and EFBB was just a first person Splinter Cell.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh boy, I missed these threads. :p

On that note:

-
B-Cell said:
So my friends, i was re watching Shadow Warrior 2 footage and this game is more anticipated than new Doom. When it comes to Pure Single player FPS. not counting FPS/RPG hybrids or others. I think this game looks like it will surpass anything in past. i mean open ended level design, fast paced old school gameplay, 70 WEAPONS,..
Claiming that SW2 is more anticipated than Doom is a big leap of faith. If you're talking personally, then fine, we all have our own levels of anticipation, but generally...eh, I doubt it. You'll also have to define "pure single player FPS," especially since SW2 has a multiplayer component. When I think of "pure singleplayer FPS" it would be along the lines of BioShock, The New Order, etc. (yes, I know you dislike those games, you don't need to rehash it again.

B-Cell said:
I see flying wild hog as successor of Valve since Valve is no longer game development Company. they earn billion dollar throught steam. Gabe nawell is billionair who should be trillionair but he is not because he dont want to release Half life 3 or any of thier game.
Spellcheck. Use it.

Okay, first of all, I don't think releasing HL3 would send Gabe to trillionaire status. I'm also skeptical of him being a billionaire. But Flying Hog being the successor to Valve? Um...how? I mean, I'm not that enamored of Valve, but there's no denying their influence and that their games are/were highly regarded. Flying Hog has Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior, and Juju (a game I hadn't even heard of until 5 minutes ago) to their name, none of which have come close to the acclaim of Half-Life. About the only similarity between Valve and Flying Hog is their pre-disposition to the FPS genre.

Saelune said:
I can agree with that. If the new DOOM game truly tanks, then let the people who made TNO make a DOOM game. Maybe bring back the connections between the series that the "RPG" games did. Its cool to think it was BJ who destroyed the Cyber-Demon's original limbs.
You mean the Doom mobile games? How many people know they exist? (Certainly B-cell didn't back when we were debating Halo vs. Doom ages ago).

Anyway, problem with that, as far as storyline connections go. Wolfenstein, as far as I'm aware, shares one overall continuity. The Doom games have at least three continuities, with Doom to Doom 64 being one, Doom 3 to the RPG games being another, and Doom (2016) being a third. That, and people seem to decry Doom having any story (not one of them myself), whereas Wolfenstein...well, if there were people complaining about TNO's story focus, I haven't heard them.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
It looks pretty...and that's about it. Gameplay-wise, colour me unimpressed.
With the exception of the sword, the gunplay seems to have very little sense of weight or impact -- again.
Enemies seem like varying degrees of bullet sponge -- again.
Double up on the cringeworthy dialogue and it already looks like the 2013 Reboot with a new coat of paint and tedium.

Steer more towards Wolfenstein: The New Order or the original F.E.A.R., then we might have something more interesting.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
You mean the Doom mobile games? How many people know they exist? (Certainly B-cell didn't back when we were debating Halo vs. Doom ages ago).

Anyway, problem with that, as far as storyline connections go. Wolfenstein, as far as I'm aware, shares one overall continuity. The Doom games have at least three continuities, with Doom to Doom 64 being one, Doom 3 to the RPG games being another, and Doom (2016) being a third. That, and people seem to decry Doom having any story (not one of them myself), whereas Wolfenstein...well, if there were people complaining about TNO's story focus, I haven't heard them.
I like lore and world building and continuous plot. Sure, DOOM doesn't need to use as blatant story telling as other games, but Id like subtle hints at something more. Plus I have a weird fanficy DOOM/Wolfenstein story arc Id love to see in game form based on TNO. (The now defeated Nazis turn to demon help to turn back their defeat, and only when BJ sacrifices himself to the forces of Hell are they finally defeated...cut to a DOOM game where somehow BJ is still alive fighting an unending war against Hell and gets rescued by Doomguy and the two join forces to fight Hell.)

The storylines of the games are unclear. DOOM 1 and 2 are directly related, but Wolfenstein its unclear if they are all canon to each other or not. TNO is supposedly a sequel to Spear of Destiny, but its also unclear if Hitler is alive or not. I just think that since DOOM and Wolfenstein are both owned by Bethesda, it wouldn't be insane to hope for more crossover. Hell, Id add in Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem if I could, since all 4 series are blood relatives. Quake too I guess, but I haven't played much of that series.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
B-Cell said:
bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock
Yes, Bioshock, one of the highest rated games of all time, and one of the most critically acclaimed titles of the last generation; beloved by many, but is rendered "trash", because B-Cell said so. Good job, dude.

But no, I haven't seen anything for Shadow Warrior 2, and I haven't played Shadow Warrior, either. Pro tip: Learn to temper your expectations, otherwise, you will only end up being disappointed, if you expect the world of a game.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
What is a "pure" FPS? Is it a game that ignores story in favour of more shooting? Is it arcadey? I'm having a hard time understanding how Half Life 2 and Shadow Warrior 2 are comparable to the point where you'd consider them both pure FPS games... Besides, Half Life 2 has a lot of puzzle elements and, in my opinion, some terrible vehicle sections. Shadow Warrior 2 looks like just about any other arcade shooter.

In my opinion, there really aren't any good "pure" FPS games anymore. It always amounts to the same thing: shoot the thing until it dies and then move on to the next one. We've had a major over-saturation of these game, to the point where a game needs to offer much more than just shooting for me to even consider getting it.

Looking at my Steam library, the last FPS I bought was Fallout 4 and that's definitely not "pure." Much more RPG/FPS/Sandbox hybrid. Before that, the last FPS was CS:GO which probably doesn't fit what you're talking about either since it's multiplayer. It's very good at what it does though. Before that, it was Borderlands 2. In my mind, this is pretty close to the perfect FPS. There's some RPG elements, exciting loot, a wide variety of interesting enemies and quests, satisfying guns; and a simple, yet effective story. No doubt others will disagree, but for me, it's the closest thing to a "pure" FPS that I've enjoyed in quite a while.

Having said all that, I now expect to told that these games are factually trash. No particular reason; just a suspicion.