Will Shadow warrior 2 be best Pure SP FPS since Half life 2?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
What is a "pure" FPS? Is it a game that ignores story in favour of more shooting? Is it arcadey? I'm having a hard time understanding how Half Life 2 and Shadow Warrior 2 are comparable to the point where you'd consider them both pure FPS games... Besides, Half Life 2 has a lot of puzzle elements and, in my opinion, some terrible vehicle sections. Shadow Warrior 2 looks like just about any other arcade shooter.

In my opinion, there really aren't any good "pure" FPS games anymore. It always amounts to the same thing: shoot the thing until it dies and then move on to the next one. We've had a major over-saturation of these game, to the point where a game needs to offer much more than just shooting for me to even consider getting it.

Looking at my Steam library, the last FPS I bought was Fallout 4 and that's definitely not "pure." Much more RPG/FPS/Sandbox hybrid. Before that, the last FPS was CS:GO which probably doesn't fit what you're talking about either since it's multiplayer. It's very good at what it does though. Before that, it was Borderlands 2. In my mind, this is pretty close to the perfect FPS. There's some RPG elements, exciting loot, a wide variety of interesting enemies and quests, satisfying guns; and a simple, yet effective story. No doubt others will disagree, but for me, it's the closest thing to a "pure" FPS that I've enjoyed in quite a while.

Having said all that, I now expect to told that these games are factually trash. No particular reason; just a suspicion.
Fallout 4 is just COD with stats; CS:GO is just Counter Strike with more go; Borderlands 2 was just COD with RNG.

Thought I'd save B-Cell the effort.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
RedDeadFred said:
What is a "pure" FPS? Is it a game that ignores story in favour of more shooting? Is it arcadey? I'm having a hard time understanding how Half Life 2 and Shadow Warrior 2 are comparable to the point where you'd consider them both pure FPS games... Besides, Half Life 2 has a lot of puzzle elements and, in my opinion, some terrible vehicle sections. Shadow Warrior 2 looks like just about any other arcade shooter.

In my opinion, there really aren't any good "pure" FPS games anymore. It always amounts to the same thing: shoot the thing until it dies and then move on to the next one. We've had a major over-saturation of these game, to the point where a game needs to offer much more than just shooting for me to even consider getting it.

Looking at my Steam library, the last FPS I bought was Fallout 4 and that's definitely not "pure." Much more RPG/FPS/Sandbox hybrid. Before that, the last FPS was CS:GO which probably doesn't fit what you're talking about either since it's multiplayer. It's very good at what it does though. Before that, it was Borderlands 2. In my mind, this is pretty close to the perfect FPS. There's some RPG elements, exciting loot, a wide variety of interesting enemies and quests, satisfying guns; and a simple, yet effective story. No doubt others will disagree, but for me, it's the closest thing to a "pure" FPS that I've enjoyed in quite a while.

Having said all that, I now expect to told that these games are factually trash. No particular reason; just a suspicion.
Fallout 4 is just COD with stats; CS:GO is just Counter Strike with more go; Borderlands 2 was just COD with RNG.

Thought I'd save B-Cell the effort.
Oh my. The CS:GO one genuinely made me chuckle out loud. Thank you.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
B-Cell said:
Hello,

So my friends, i was re watching Shadow Warrior 2 footage and this game is more anticipated than new Doom. When it comes to Pure Single player FPS. not counting FPS/RPG hybrids or others. I think this game looks like it will surpass anything in past. i mean open ended level design, fast paced old school gameplay, 70 WEAPONS,..

Shadow warrior 2013 reboot was pretty good game despite have terrible boss battle and shadow realm missions which were wastage of time. it was also very linear because they didnot had budget.

I see flying wild hog as successor of Valve since Valve is no longer game development Company. they earn billion dollar throught steam. Gabe nawell is billionair who should be trillionair but he is not because he dont want to release Half life 3 or any of thier game.

anyways what are your thoughts?
Shadow Warrior and Half Life 2 aren't even vaguely comparable if you've only ever played those two FPS games. Half Life is methodical, atmospheric, and linear. Shadow Warrior is none of those.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
Hawki said:
You mean the Doom mobile games? How many people know they exist? (Certainly B-cell didn't back when we were debating Halo vs. Doom ages ago).

Anyway, problem with that, as far as storyline connections go. Wolfenstein, as far as I'm aware, shares one overall continuity. The Doom games have at least three continuities, with Doom to Doom 64 being one, Doom 3 to the RPG games being another, and Doom (2016) being a third. That, and people seem to decry Doom having any story (not one of them myself), whereas Wolfenstein...well, if there were people complaining about TNO's story focus, I haven't heard them.
I like lore and world building and continuous plot. Sure, DOOM doesn't need to use as blatant story telling as other games, but Id like subtle hints at something more. Plus I have a weird fanficy DOOM/Wolfenstein story arc Id love to see in game form based on TNO. (The now defeated Nazis turn to demon help to turn back their defeat, and only when BJ sacrifices himself to the forces of Hell are they finally defeated...cut to a DOOM game where somehow BJ is still alive fighting an unending war against Hell and gets rescued by Doomguy and the two join forces to fight Hell.)

The storylines of the games are unclear. DOOM 1 and 2 are directly related, but Wolfenstein its unclear if they are all canon to each other or not. TNO is supposedly a sequel to Spear of Destiny, but its also unclear if Hitler is alive or not. I just think that since DOOM and Wolfenstein are both owned by Bethesda, it wouldn't be insane to hope for more crossover. Hell, Id add in Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem if I could, since all 4 series are blood relatives. Quake too I guess, but I haven't played much of that series.
I understand the appeal of canon welding, but, while I'm not really invested in Wolfenstein as a series, I'm not sure if it and Doom being in the same continuity would actually aid either series. True, a century separates them (Wolfenstein from the 40s to 60s, Doom takes place mostly in 2145), but Wolfenstein feels diminished by Doom in that sense because Nazis taking over the world suddenly feels trivial compared to demonic invasion, while Doom suddenly feels even less cohesive in the lack of any long-term effect that Nazi rule has had a century later. Blaskowitch's descendant did appear in the mobile games, true, but I'm fine with a B.J. Blaskowitch existing in Doom's continuity that didn't fight against robot Nazis. But true, this is very subjective. Wolfenstein and Doom sharing continuity is far more harmonious a melding than some other theories for FPS games (e.g. Marathon and Halo, which doesn't work...at all).

As for Duke and Shadow Warrior...I could easily see them being in the same continuity with each other, but not so much with Wolfenstein or Doom, given that they throw realism to the wind. It also doesn't help that Duke has to deal with alien invasion (twice), which goes unmentioned in Doom if it's in the same continuity. Besides, they don't have Bethesda to unify them.

Funny that you mention Quake, as it has the most in common with Doom. Haven't played any Quake games (heck, of all these games, only played some of the Doom ones), but Quake 1 does deal with portal technology that would be in place in Doom's setting. Quake III also has characters plucked from time/space that are basically Doom marines in all but name (e.g. clearing out Phobos, fighting demons, etc.). The strogg are iffy as to how they'd fit in with Doom, but I could see Quake and Doom sharing a multiverse of sorts, per Quake III.

Final note, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzu0AoUxFhk is a good retrospective on Wolfenstein. The reviewer treats it as being more or less in the same overall continuity.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
B-Cell said:
Hello, i was re watching Shadow Warrior 2 footage and this game is more anticipated than new Doom.
To you personally? Ok. If you think you mean everyone else, that's not really up to you?

that homefront game looks like any other generic millitary shooter.
Like how every FPS game that isn't the most badass of badass and oh so cool and lovely Doom, Deus Ex, and Shadow Warrior is just pure bullshit, right?

Wolfenstein The New Order: it was COD with robots. waste of time.
It was a hell of a lot more fun than most FPS with a great story to boot, so says many reviewers. If you didn't like it, that's fine, I guess. Discounting it as anything else is kinda broad stroke, don't you think?

FEAR and EFBB were excellent games no doubt but bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock
As someone else says, it being a successful series with one of the highest rated games from the entire last generation, hitting #1 places on top 10 lists "will always be trash?" Cmon now. That's hardly a reasonable argument. Let's hear why. Let's have some reasons. Some explanations that are not "It's not gritty and badass like Doom-"Shut it with that crap. For once in my life I wanna see you break this game down. I don't like it a lot myself either, couldn't get into it. Let's hear why. I'd love to hear a well thought out analysis from you. We all would.

I know I'm just feeding you at this point, and I don't care. You just love it so much, slurping up the frustration of people seeing these sorts of threads like it. I'm sure we'd all be happy to see a proper discussion with you. You don't seem to get that. People don't keep de-constructing your threads for no reason. We do it cause every time we try to have comparable options, we get responses telling us "The game you like is shit and it always will be shit" with 0% reasons why, the Bioshock quote I just made being a prime example.

B-Cell, I'm seriously reaching out to you here. I'm sure we'd all be happy to see you actually fucking listen to an opinion for once, instead of making these threads just do bolster your own. How's this? Shadow Warrior 2 might be neat. MIGHT. If it comes OUT FIRST and it GOOD. Let's be patient and see, ok?

So my friends
Stop that.

(Am I out of line with this? Maybe. I just wanna see someone improve their threads and posting ability. "Don't like his threads? Don't read/post in them." We could fill the gaps in the Weekly Content section with how many threads we've seen from B-Cell of this format, don't give me that tripe. I think we all wanna see people making worthwhile, wonderful threads we can all have a happy discussion in, not something that skirts the CoC. Is that not reasonable?)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Whole lotta nerd talk
Could just build DOOM to actually incorporate the Wolfenstein lore. I mean, DOOM is very sci-fi, and TNO had a Nazi Moonbase. Plus if Spear of Destiny is canon, that had the occult, so the potential is already seeded in there. Plus DOOM as noted before, is gameplay > plot, so if its a lot of fun, a terrible story or whatever wont hurt it as much. Hell, the plot of DOOM II is avenging your bunny.

Adding Duke and Shadow Warrior obviously would require Bethesda getting the rights, and while I think Flying Hog has earned the right to keep Shadow Warrior, anything is better than Gearbox for Duke.

Plus, if nothing else, could always pull a Dead Rising 3 DLC where its just heres 4 characters killing tons of shit. I know Id be hype if it ever happened.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Gameplay wise Half Life 2 was actually really rather lacking. And Painkiller was better than Shadow Warrior(2013) and Half Life 2 so there's also that.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
Are Flying Wild Hog and Bethesda paying you to make these?

If they take the ideas of the last one and expand and evolve them than it will definitely be an excellent game. However, I doubt it's going to be taking any "best of generation" and such awards. Remember that the New Order came out two years ago.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Blacklight28 said:
Are Flying Wild Hog and Bethesda paying you to make these?

If they take the ideas of the last one and expand and evolve them than it will definitely be an excellent game. However, I doubt it's going to be taking any "best of generation" and such awards. Remember that the New Order came out two years ago.
No he thinks New Order was COD with robots

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
B-Cell said:
bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock
Yes, Bioshock, one of the highest rated games of all time, and one of the most critically acclaimed titles of the last generation; beloved by many, but is rendered "trash", because B-Cell said so. Good job, dude.

But no, I haven't seen anything for Shadow Warrior 2, and I haven't played Shadow Warrior, either. Pro tip: Learn to temper your expectations, otherwise, you will only end up being disappointed, if you expect the world of a game.
If it isn't Shadow Warrior or Doom B-Cell automatically calls it trash.

And the OP doesn't make much sence either way.
Half Life 2 was never a "pure" fps since it had puzzle elements aswell.

If you want pure FPS from the last 15 years or so, Painkiller fits that bill better.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Poetic Nova said:
If it isn't Shadow Warrior or Doom B-Cell automatically calls it trash.
Which pretty much goes completely against most people's perceptions of what a "hardcore" gamer is, which is laughable when you think about it a little further. Some "hardcore" folks might say that one series is what makes you hardcore, while others might say that playing and enjoying many different games makes you hardcore. I fit the later category

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Holy shit, OP. You're setting yourself up for one hell of a disappointment. Reign in the hype a bit, will ya?

I'm now beginning to understand why some people lash out so violently at devs when the massively over-hyped game they just released isn't the promised Second Coming of Christ...

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
B-Cell said:
Skatalite said:
Part of what makes Half-Life 2 so good is that it's not a ''pure'' FPS. You're not just shooting stuff, you're exploring, puzzle-solving, driving, things like that.
I also highly doubt Shadow Warior 2 will be better than shooters like Escape from Butcher Bay, F.E.A.R. and Bioshock.
FEAR and EFBB were excellent games no doubt but bioshock was and always be Trash. so its not hard to be better than bioshock
Bioshock will always be trash? Interesting... Except how it's not, and is widely considered a great game. Can you please not make out personal opinions to be fact, you seem to do this a lot. When you make statements like that, be ready to back them up with something. For example, Bioshock (I dislike using metacritic, but it's just to make a point) http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock 88 out of 88 of the reviews for it were positive for the Xbox 360. So no, it's not trash. You just dislike it, and that's fine, but don't act like your opinion is fact.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
B-Cell said:
My friend, i respect your opinion but metacritic dont mean anything. most of reviews are just paid. Bioshock was poor mans system shock 2. it has like one of the worst shooting mechanics ever. terrible gameplay in general.
Reasons "MY FRIEND", give us reasons! Why was it terrible? Why were the shooting mechanics bad? Please, you always just slap that as your argument. Even in PM, that's fine, for once I want to see some reasoning beyond "It sucks and I'm not budging from it."

Discussion and debate is what the CoC calls for. Do something with that!

SolidState

May 30, 2015
B-Cell said:
My friend, i respect your opinion
How many times are you going to say this while doing the exact opposite?

B-Cell said:
that homefront game looks like any other generic millitary shooter.
B-Cell said:
it was COD with robots. waste of time.
B-Cell said:
bioshock was and always be Trash.
These are not the comments of someone being "respectful". These are the comments of someone just being edgy.

How about instead of shitting all over other people's opinions whilst offering nothing of any substance, you actually go into details about why you dislike so many of these games.

SolidState

May 30, 2015
Elvis Starburst said:
every time we try to have comparable options, we get responses telling us "The game you like is shit and it always will be shit" with 0% reasons why,
Even more astonishing is the fact that the OP always claims to be "respectful" while saying everyone else's tastes in video games is shit.

And this happens in every thread he makes. The pattern has become so recognizable now, I'm genuinely surprised the moderators haven't noticed by now.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
SolidState said:
Elvis Starburst said:
every time we try to have comparable options, we get responses telling us "The game you like is shit and it always will be shit" with 0% reasons why,
Even more astonishing is the fact that the OP always claims to be "respectful" while saying everyone else's tastes in video games is shit.

And this happens in every thread he makes. The pattern has become so recognizable now, I'm genuinely surprised the moderators haven't noticed by now.
Which is why I'm furiously imploring him to actually make some discussion, cause last time I checked, the CoC clearly states...

"A well-made thread or a well-written comment engages its audience and facilitates discussion. We do ask that posters take just a little time to make their posts as readable as possible and keep their responses on topic, and also take a moment to check spelling and grammar."

So, I don't fuckin know at this point. All I wanna see is an actual thought out discussion from him for once. Then maybe that'll mark the turning point for some improvement. Oh, and they have noticed. Problem is that B-Cell skirts the rule line too well. So, I dunno what to say on that one :I

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
B-Cell said:
chozo_hybrid said:
B-Cell said:
Skatalite said:
Part of what makes Half-Life 2 so good is that it's not a ''pure'' FPS. You're not just shooting stuff, you're exploring, puzzle-solving, driving, things like that.
I also highly doubt Shadow Warior 2 will be better than shooters like Escape from Butcher Bay, F.E.A.R. and Bioshock.
Bioshock will always be trash? Interesting... Except how it's not, and is widely considered a great game. Can you please not make out personal opinions to be fact, you seem to do this a lot. When you make statements like that, be ready to back them up with something. For example, Bioshock (I dislike using metacritic, but it's just to make a point) http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock 88 out of 88 of the reviews for it were positive for the Xbox 360. So no, it's not trash. You just dislike it, and that's fine, but don't act like your opinion is fact.
My friend, i respect your opinion but metacritic dont mean anything. most of reviews are just paid.
Bioshock was poor mans system shock 2. it has like one of the worst shooting mechanics ever. terrible gameplay in general.
It means more than your blanket statements without any kind of detail, care to back up how you know they are paid reviews? Also, want to present some proof most reviews are paid? It's not that likely since that is illegal without disclosure. Metacritic isn't as solid a basis for things I agree, but it does compile reviews and give you a basic idea on how a game was received critically in a broad sense. I just used Metacritic as a quick example.

You have yet to actually go into any detail at all regarding your opinions. What part of the mechanics made the shooting the "worst ever" as well as the game play then?

If you respect my opinion, then act like it. Back up what you are saying with some actual discussion, not one sided statements about how something has crap game mechanics and then never explaining why.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Sorry OP, but Doom and SW simply cannot compare to the unfettered videogame purity that is Candice DeBebe's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle.

B-Cell said:
metacritic dont mean anything. most of reviews are just paid.
Also, citation needed for this.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
IceForce said:
Sorry OP, but Doom and SW simply cannot compare to the unfettered videogame purity that is Candice DeBebe's Incredibly Trick Lifestyle.

B-Cell said:
metacritic dont mean anything. most of reviews are just paid.
Also, citation needed for this.
the game that is more popular. recieve more awards, more HIGH rated. by this logic COD is one of the best FPS ever because they recieve very high reviews. so big companies pay for high reviews and multiple GOTY awards.