Will Smith in Talks to Play Genie in Aladdin Live-Action Remake

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Will Smith in Talks to Play Genie in Aladdin Live-Action Remake

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1399/1399131.jpg
If he ends up taking the role of Genie, Will Smith has some pretty big shoes to fill...

Live-action remakes of classic animated Disney movies is the latest tactic for the studio to desperately to re-package your childhood, and Arabian adventure Aladdin is next in line to get the treatment. It's still in the very early stages of pre-production at the moment, but Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/04/will-smith-genie-role-aladdin-disney-1202072355/] is reporting that actor Will Smith is currently "in talks" to play the role of Genie.

Now before you get your hopes up (or down), this isn't the first time Smith has been "in talks" about a Disney movie. He had previously been in talks with Tim Burton about Dumbo, but nothing materialized out of that.

The live-action remake of Aladdin is being helmed by Guy Ritchie, best known for Snatch and the Sherlock Holmes films, with his big-budget fantasy movie King Arthur: Legend of the Sword hitting theaters in May.

The original role of Genie was of course played by Robin Williams, who sadly took his own life in 2014.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2017/04/will-smith-genie-role-aladdin-disney-1202072355/]

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Why? Why does this even need to exist? Who is the brain-dead monkey in charge at Disney that keeps green-lighting these terrible, unnecessary remakes? Are they ashamed of being an animation company or something?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
No offense to the man, but jesus, what a downgrade. I know, I know, Robin William's Genie is a hard act to follow given it was some of his best Improv work, but just going from a comedic standpoint Will Smith isn't even in the same ballpark. Funny guy, sure, but someone who is really dependent on the script being solid than being able to make the jokes himself.

...Though, given how the Beauty and the Beast live-action went, he'd still probably be the best part of the movie.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I'm calling it first, it's gonna be some gangster hip-hop stereotyping.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Gibbagobba said:
Why? Why does this even need to exist? Who is the brain-dead monkey in charge at Disney that keeps green-lighting these terrible, unnecessary remakes? Are they ashamed of being an animation company or something?
The Beauty and the Beast remake was actually alright. I mean, it doesnt replace the original, but it atleast justified it's existence. Ofcourse, it was intentionally a near straight up remake of the original, rather than a "new take" on it, while also filling in most of the holes the original left. (Also I think I like the live action "Be My Guest" more).

The real question, will this try to be like BatB and be a near scene for scene remake, perhaps filling in various gaps and plot holes, or will it be one of the ones that try to be different?

Either way, I dont think today's Will Smith will be good for this. Men in Black 1 Will Smith? Maybe. But not Smith as he is now. Another positively energetic comedian would be my recommendation. Not sure who though off the top of my head.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
I think Aladdin is gonna be a VERY controversial movie regardless of who is gonna be Genie.
Tom Holland with some spray on tan, should be fine.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
There's not a single word in that headline that didn't make me want to vomit.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Personally, I hope they get Sinbad, because it would amuse me for there to be a man with that name in an Arabian story other than the one which you would expect.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gibbagobba said:
Beauty and the Beast raked in lots of money, remember. Hell, people even liked that one, unlike the Transformers films which make money but nobody admits to paying money to see.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Mmmm, I'm not sure. I don't like Will Smith, but I don't hate him either. I think his carrer right now is just running off of whatever goodwill he has left from Independence Day and the first Men in Black movie. They should probably look to someone with a better track record for such a critical part.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
mad825 said:
I'm calling it first, it's gonna be some gangster hip-hop stereotyping.
For how the Genie is I am predicting he will go full Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Might be similar to Oscar in Shark Tale.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
And while everyone is focusing on Will Smith as genie, I can't help but notice they got Guy Ritchie as director. Looking at his portfolio, he seems an odd match for a fairy tale.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope! Smith is a good performer but he's not even a pale shadow of Williams

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Chimpzy said:
And while everyone is focusing on Will Smith as genie, I can't help but notice they got Guy Ritchie as director. Looking at his portfolio, he seems an odd match for a fairy tale.
Have you seen his Sherlock Holmes movies?

Quellist said:
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope! Smith is a good performer but he's not even a pale shadow of Williams
Robin Williams was a bad actor who occasionally stumbled onto the set of good movies.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hmm...What a sad case of affairs. Not as bad as the Jumanji remake though. Am curious as to how Guy Ritchie will do this. Will Statham be kicking ass on a cockney debt-collecting magic carpet?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Wrex Brogan said:
Funny guy, sure
Not even that. I like him as an actor and he can play a funny guy because he's really good at his job, but from what I've seen of him in some interviews he's pretty obnoxious as a person. An extreme extrovert. Listen to his obnoxious fuckin' laugh. I like the guy but when he starts laughing it makes me want to punch him in the face:

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hmm...What a sad case of affairs. Not as bad as the Jumanji remake though. Am curious as to how Guy Ritchie will do this. Will Statham be kicking ass on a cockney debt-collecting magic carpet?
Statham isn't his go to actor, Jason Flemyng is.