Will Smith, Jay-Z Remaking Movie Musical Annie

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Will Smith, Jay-Z Remaking Movie Musical Annie

Smith's daughter, "Whip My Hair" singer Willow Smith, will star in a remake of the 1982 musical film.

Actor Will Smith (Independence Day, Hancock) and rapper Jay-Z have collaborated before, co-producing the Broadway Fela!, which went on to win three Tony Awards. The pair are looking to repeat their success with the musical theatre genre, remaking 1982's Annie, a film based on the 1977 musical of the same name. The film, which marks the first feature film collaboration between the two, is being imagined as a star vehicle for Smith's 10-year-old daughter, Willow. Jay-Z has already invested in Willow's musical career; his record label Roc Nation produced her certified platinum single, "Whip My Hair."

Deadline quotes the official press release, which in turn quotes Columbia Pictures President Doug Belgrad as saying, "The time is right to bring back Annie to the big screen. Of course, we're true believers in Willow's talent and believe she will be perfect in this role. Combining Willow with the Overbrook team that reimagined Karate Kid and the spectacular Jay-Z makes this a dream project." The 1982 film featured Albert Finney, Carol Burnett, Tim Curry, and Bernadette Peters; I have no doubt that Smith and Jay-Z will be able to accumulate the same star power for this remake.

Jay-Z is already familiar with at least one of the musical's best known songs; in 1999, he sampled the orphan anthem "It's a Hard Knock Life" for his song "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)."

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/will-smiths-overbrook-jay-z-form-film-deal/]

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I'm actually all right with this. Just don't let Smith's daughter play the part. Good God "Whip My Hair" is a travesty to music.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Anything Jay-Z touches turns to gold! I'll be watching this progress with great interest.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Ok, firstly... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!!!!!!!

I can remember losing out on playing "Annie" in a professional touring production when I was about 10-11, because my hair wasn't red enough. ;( Still, it'll be interesting to see if the girl can actually sing...?

'Scuse me while I wander off sobbing to myself... and singing "Tomorrow" quietly whilst curled up in a ball, rocking...

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Oh, well this doesn't seem so bad! I guess that...

Elizabeth Grunewald said:
The film, which marks the first feature film collaboration between the two, is being imagined as a star vehicle for Smith's 10-year-old daughter, Willow.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Seriously, why is he trying to make his children so popular? My parents didn't force me into anything. Doesn't he realize this could seriously mess them up?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
It's official. Hollywood is now pretty much running on pure stupid cut with wheat grass farts. I present this project as exhibit #37,034.

Mattox33

Mar 3, 2010
Really? Out of all the movies Will Smith has been in, you chose Independence Day and Hancock?

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
I do enjoy how its stated in the article "is being imagined as a star vehicle for Smith's 10-year-old daughter, Willow."

Is it just me or does anyone else see this becoming some horrible ghetto remake? Only thing that could make this worse is if Tyler Perry touches it.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
I heard somewhere that she whips her hair from side to side. Could be bad info, though

Maybe Tim Curry will eat her.

They all float down here. They all float.....

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Timbydude said:
Oh, well this doesn't seem so bad! I guess that...

Elizabeth Grunewald said:
The film, which marks the first feature film collaboration between the two, is being imagined as a star vehicle for Smith's 10-year-old daughter, Willow.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Seriously, why is he trying to make his children so popular? My parents didn't force me into anything. Doesn't he realize this could seriously mess them up?
well if it does at least we will have something to watch like another Lindsey Lohan

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Mattox33 said:
Really? Out of all the movies Will Smith has been in, you chose Independence Day and Hancock?
You'd rather she brought up Jersey Girl?

Also, those just happen to be Will's two highest grossing flicks (814M, 624M, respectively), so there's that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_smith

Aug 25, 2009
No.

Nonononono.

You do not let Jay-Z within the same universe as a project like this. The musical is a product of its era, and if you are going to do it, the only way to do it is to try and retain that sense of timelessness all of the best musicals have.

You do not put rap into it. Rap will destroy it. (You know, originally I typed rap will date it there but then the more appropriate and correct sentence occured to me.)