Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
Australia has already had a female and atheist prime minister. I doubt the sexuality of the leader of a party would be of much significance since Australian politics downplay the importance of the leader in comparison to the USA, in addition to the fact that it really isn't that big of a deal here except for a small minority.

Teshi

May 8, 2010
James Buchanan was gay! (At least according to Andrew Jackson. No word on whether Andrew Jackson was a douche according to James Buchanan.)

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Female: It's only a matter of time. Within the next 20 years, even.

Atheist: More around 40-50 years when most of the ultra-religious older voter-base have died.

Homosexual: Less likely, mostly because of the stigma and because there just aren't very many gays in politics compared to heterosexuals.

Ordinaryundone said:
I'd be surprised if we ever saw a SINGLE (non-married) President, regardless of sexual orientation.
Oh, this is another thing I've wondered about. Why does the president, governor, etc, always need to have a "First lady"(or "first man" if a female gets elected)? Wouldn't a person in charge of an entire country be a bit better off if they didn't have to worry about a wife or family?

I'm pretty sure this is only because of the whole "family values" shit that gets the vote.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Devil said:
1) A female president
Within the next 20 years, being a woman doesn't seem like a barrier these days.

Devil said:
2) An Atheist president
Between 150 and 300 years.

Devil said:
3) A homosexual president
Between 100 and 200 years, provided he is a strongly religious person.

Devil said:
4) You name others and how long it'll take. (Other races, beliefs, you name it)
Latino president I would guess between 40 and 80 years.

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Maybe female. I'd love for atheist presidents to become the norm (and I am not an atheist), but I think the reality is that it will not happen. (Homosexual I would not mind either, but I don't think there would be a measurable improvement over heterosexual, vs. atheist I think WOULD be a measurable improvement). There is so much money in the country that there is really no incentive for stupid people to evolve, which is why the factors that are preventing atheists and homosexuals from even getting enough votes to start running simply will not disappear.

I'd love to be wrong.

DaKiller

Jan 15, 2011
bahumat42 said:
As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)
must... RESIST!!

OT: I believe the order will be woman, homosexual, atheist because the woman are almost there already and damn if the republicans don't fear atheism above all else. whether or not I will see these things in my life time I expect to see a woman president but I doubt I'll see a homosexual or atheist president.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
What about an Islamic first lady? I'd like to see a first lady wearing a hijab or burqa or whatever. That'd be cool.

Female president seems to be the most likely. Atheist is unlikely to happen any time soon, what with the in god we trust and all that. Homosexual seems like it'd be the least likely to happen. I imagine there would be an uproar over the first lady having to be the first man or something similarly stupid.

I wanna see a midget president.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Atheist president? Never just look at America's current election process. The thing they talk most about after the presidents stance on the issues is what religion they are supposedly part of. We might have a closet atheist for a president likely already have but never an openly atheist one.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Homosexual probably within a few decades (within the half century, perhaps). Can't speak for if it'll be one of those "I'm gay and proud of it" sort of things that's very public in the election, if it'll come up but go unnoticed (hey, maybe times will change that much), or if it just won't come up/the president won't come out about it.

Atheist, dunno. Maybe a similar timeframe, as atheism is growing in the States, and is now a significant minority. Agnostic may be more likely, since the term "atheist" has been given negative connotations by the religious right.

Woman president, I see no reason why that couldn't happen in 2016. I don't think the country in general would have a problem electing a woman to the office of president. Though frankly if they do (on the basis of "she's a woman") they should lose their right to vote.

I'd be curious to see how long it takes before we get a Muslim president, personally. Or a Native American--that would certainly be a biggie. I don't know that we'll ever have a Muslim president, just because the political/social climate will probably stay about as it is for a long time and there will be a general stigma against it. Native American, I think it's just a matter of finding one to run--there aren't a whole lot of Native Americans in politics, much less in the executive branch--but I don't think there would be any problems with people not wanting to vote for them.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Considering how close Hillary was to being where Obama is now, I see nothing to indicate a female president is far fetched.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
female president is the most likely out of the three.

as for the other 2 unlikely.

better question to ask would be do you think there will be an atheist or homosexual republican candidate in the next ooh say....a thousand years?

ill put a hundred bucks on no.

but lets face facts no democrat or republican could win if they admitted to either in the current state of America.

Dec 3, 2011
Well since homosexuals account for - is it 8%? - of the population, it's likely to happen sometime in the century.

Women; most certainly.

Atheists; most certainly.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Devil said:
Well you're clearly American (duh...)

But I am from Finland and our current President is Female (she's stepping down in a week or so). And we just had our elections here, were one of the candidates was (well he still is) homosexual. He got to the last round but there he pretty much got his ass whopped. So in this country I doubt we are too far away but the "problem" here is that there are pretty few openly homosexuals and even fever at the top of the political system, so I'd say unless he tries again it will be a long time before we have a homosexual president here in Finland.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I believe the nation is ready for a woman president. Whether or not one gets on the ballet is another issue entirely I think the nation is ready to elect one if it comes up. I think we are probably ready to elect an atheist but it would require avoiding the issue of religion as there are many conservative voters who would not vote for an atheist. A Democrat who was an atheists would have better luck but I'm kind of iffy on if he or she would get elected. We definitely would not elect a homosexual. The nation is still too divided on that issue sadly. There is still too much controversy and it still makes too many people uncomfortable. Maybe in another decade or two.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
1) A female president
Probably by 2030
2) An Atheist president
This being the US, no way before 2050.
3) A homosexual president
Probably by 2050?

Hell, maybe you guys will get a lesbian president in like 15 years. But having been to the US and knowing about the voting choices and social norms of many of the states, it's very unlikely you guys will have an atheist president any time soon.
Thinking about it more, having a completely homosexual president probably won't happen for a long time. I think it's more likely that you guys will get a bi president providing they believe in the jesus.

You guys need to be more like Australia. We have a female leader, and nobody gives a shit about her sexual orientation or what she believes in because we're too busy calling her a c*** for imposing more taxes.
She is atheist, actually, IIRC. She also wasn't born in this country.
...Yeah, aussies don't give much a shit.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Female? Seems entirely possible.

Atheist? Somewhat unlikely, considering how big the religious right and how much political clout it has in the US. It's still a possibility, however - pending some sort of weird social shift that would make atheism tolerable in the eyes of the most zealous of all religious zealots. Again - fairly unlikely.

Homosexual? I could be wrong, but it seems plainly impossible. We'd all like to think we live in a progressive society where we don't judge the political efficiency of a man based on his sexual preferences but, again, the religious right has a pretty big say, here. If anyone influential decides to get the "Homosexuality is Unchristian and/or Unamerican!" bandwagon going, that potential candidate is going to have to do a lot of work to win the hearts and minds of a good share of the American electorate.

The OP should ask that question again on the off chance that we somehow undergo some sort of intellectual awakening as a species and realize that our boundaries of social gender, sexuality and religion are absolutely artificial and completely useless.

I'd cross my fingers and hope the Vulcans drop down soon enough. Otherwise, I don't see that happening.

Yes, I'm a cynic.