Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jegsimmons said:
depends on his party affiliation i guess, i see an atheist who is conservative getting the vote easier than a liberal one. Mostly due to that conservative are pro religion, even if they dont agree with it.
A conservative atheist will never make it through the vetting process, though.
nah, he'd just have to play his cards right, its totally possible, conservatives dont hate atheist....just the dawkinologist.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:
Female one in the next 10-15 years
Atheist in the next 50-60

Probably wont be a homosexual one in my lifetime.
Female one <25 years imo, but I doubt a homosexual president will happen within 50 years.
Atheist president in the states? I seriously doubt it. Religion is a BIG deal in the states.

bahumat42 said:
see i think homosexuality is more accepted in america than athiesm. At least in the way i have been treated out there.

Here in the Uk we have already had a woman prime minister and possibly an athiest one (i dont know the full religous history of my countries rulership).

As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)
I gotta agree, most homosexuals I know of would rather get after the politicians rather than be a politician themselves.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
I don't know about exact years, but I would say female would be first. White, Protestant female, but female none the less. However, I would say a homosexual is more likely to become elected than an atheist. The President is basically expected to say such things as "God bless America" and attend church every Sunday. An atheist wouldn't do either or those things and I think that would seriously hinder his or her chances.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Devil said:
You know, this is actually a very interesting question you've asked.

First, let me say, it reminded me of the last two seasons of the West Wing. In the last two seasons, the Presidential race is between:

An Atheist Republican vs a Hispanic Democrat.

Yes, that's right, an Atheist Republican. He ends up with a bible-thumping running mate to help ease Republican fears about his "godlessness."

Anyway, I think Palin and Hilary have proven that a woman President isn't far off. As far as a Hispanic President, I think we would probably handle that. The main issue is having a Hispanic politician with enough popularity to make the bid. Certainly possible - I had no idea who Obama was until the election - but I don't follow politics enough to know for sure.

Actually, I think a homosexual President isn't too far off either. One thing I've seen as a teacher - most people 19 years and younger are extremely open-minded about gay people. I've taught bible-thumping fundies who not only have no problem with gay marriage, but have argued passionately for legalizing it nationwide. As today's teens become voters, I think we're going to see a huge shift towards a more gay-friendly nation.

Getting a little off-topic here. Anyway.

As far as an Atheist President goes, I think it depends on the kind of atheist. If we're talking someone who just doesn't follow any religion, then I think that could happen soon - particularly if it's handled like it was in the West Wing. If you mean an aggressive Atheist... I think it will be longer.

Not as long as it will take for a Pagan President. **sigh** That will take a long time.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
A female within 20 years. Especially since you can see both sides pushing a female on us so we dont have a choice.

Athiest within maybe 50. We are getting further away from religion so a couple more generations for the old ones to die off and it wont be a issue.

Homosexual, looooooooooong time. Not in our life times for sure. Maybe a lesbian but not a gay man.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Devil said:
How long do you believe it will take before we have...

1) A female president
Probably within 12-16 years, would be my guess, as long as more Hillary Clintons emerge and fewer (MUCH fewer) Bachmann's try to play the game.

Hillary Clinton was a very viable candidate for President regardless of gender, and as generations X, Millenials, and post-Millenials start controlling the vote (assuming we're not crushed under the weight of the Baby Boomers first), they'll be some pretty drastic shifts in politics.

2) An Atheist president
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... ha ha ha ha.. ha ha... ha...

A religious leader has ruled the world in some form or another for the entirety of recorded history. Even if the leader hasn't been "chosen" or "special" in any way, they at least observed the most mainstream religion of their followers.

It would be the holy grail, though, so to speak. An Atheist President would have a much more objective view, assuming their beliefs weren't "everybody who believes in God is an idiot."

I would love to see it happen (I'm an Atheist myself), but it won't. Probably not until people truly start accepting science as the defacto way to describe the Universe, and not a very large book. The aforementioned death of the Baby Boomers will help somewhat, but ignorance is a hard thing to kill off when you can't actually kill it off.

3) A homosexual president
I'd say it's possible to have one within the next 50 years. Homosexuality is tolerated a lot more than atheism in the country, partly because you can still be homosexual and go to church. Well, that and homosexuality is a lot less threatening than atheism. If you're deeply religious homosexuality becomes a ticket to Hell - and since the vast, vast, VAST, majority of homosexuals are pretty non-violent, you can simply let them do their thing and reap Heaven's rewards for being straight.

Atheism, though, oh that's beyond a ticket to Hell - it's a challenge to your subjective construction of how the Universe operates. People have a lot of internal psychological crisis when they don't have an afterlife to look forward to, or get told that their actions are pretty much their exclusive responsibility. Reality caves in on itself for the weak-minded.

Again, contrast that with a person who "chooses" to be homosexual against God's Will - implying the Universe operates perfectly according to a deity's desires.

4) You name other accomplishments and how long it'll take. (Other races, beliefs, you name it)
Muslim President - It's either going to be within the next 50, or over 150; depending on how much ultra-Conservative bullshit my generation and Gen X can buck.

Hispanic President - 75 years, probably about the time the Latino population in the United States has completely ingrained itself in American Culture and stuck-up pricks stop getting their panties in a wad that people are willing to cross the border illegally just because drug lords are murdering people by the thousands in their home town.

World President (or equivalent) - 300 years. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when. As technology brings every country on the planet into communication with each other within a few minutes, and the population increasing, eventually dwindling resources will result in massive wars, the deaths of billions, and finally a global government.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Pimppeter2 said:

I agree, but I think the atheist will come in about 25-30 years. Homosexuals, while becoming more culturally accepted, are still not accepted on a wide enough scale to make it into the Presidency for quite a while. I guess it all just takes time.

dartkun

Mar 17, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
nah, he'd just have to play his cards right, its totally possible, conservatives dont hate atheist....just the dawkinologist.
What?

Wait

What!?

Ok, this is the conservative Wikipedia
http://conservapedia.com/Athiesm

Tell me that the WHOLE wiki page isn't anti-athiesm?

It has connections from Atheism and Communism, Atheism and mass murder, Atheism and immoral views, Atheism, pederasty and NAMBLA, Atheism and bestiality, Atheism and rape, Atheism and evolutionary racism

SERIOUSLY.
"Atheism offers no condemnation of rape and it provides no moral basis a society to attempt to prevent and deter rape."

"Although there are recent studies relating to atheism being a causal factor for suicide for some individuals"

If you believe that Conservatives have a higher chance of electing a atheist than a liberal party. You MUST be kidding yourself. Everyone, just go read how much RIDICULOUS propaganda that site has, and then compare it to wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Female? Yeah I definetly see that happening within the next decade or so. Just need a competent candiate.

Atheist? It'll happen within my lifetime, but that's still a loooooong ways off. Several decades at the earliest.

Homosexual? Father off than the atheist, but one day I'm sure it'll happen.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Female - 10 - 20 years.
Atheist - 20 - 25 years.
Homosexual - 15 - 30 years.

Atheism is VERY hated by Christians over here. Homsexuality definitely made more progress on being less hated.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
hmmm

probably see a female pres first, 10-20 years at most i think

a 'gay' commander in chief? hmm, 15-25 is my un-educated guess

atheist? .... which the US's hang up on the 'bible' even in non cristians, i donno, that on could be a ways out, but as a ball park ... 30 years, min

violinist1129

Oct 12, 2011
girzwald said:
The bias in this post is staggering. But getting past that.

The fact that you see it an "accomplishment" that an "African American" was elected president shows that it was not an accomplishment.

Whys that? The fact that we are calling him an "African American" and pointing that out is what makes it not an accomplishment. It proves we have NOT gotten past race. And we never will if this shit keeps up. You can go ahead and think it was an "accomplishment" but all I see him is was the affirmative action president. The token black president. Put aside whether or not you think he was qualified, put aside whether or not you think he is doing a good job and keeping his promises. What happened any time anyone criticized him during the campaign? Or even to this day. What is it labeled? Racism. And if you think that isn't true...than you are an ignoramus. And if you think its true, because that what it always is or mostly was, then you are an even bigger ignoramus. And the talks of race and racism are already starting.

Obama got something well over 90% of the black vote. And how many Samuel L Jacksons (who voted for obama simply cause he was black) were there? Id wager a ton.

And how many whites and other were browbeaten or guilt tripped into voting for him because he was black? Again, id wager a lot.

So no. Not an accomplishment. Till race is a non factor, at all. We are not past racism and its not an accomplishment. Until the day we don't see it as an "accomplishment", will it be an accomplishment.

Also. Why are having a gay, atheist and female presidents "accomplishments". So, until we have an atheist president in a majority religious nation.....we are incomplete? Pure stupidity. If people are supposed to be be people and everyone is supposed to be equal, then stop separating people into groups.
I just wanted to second this guy. Once nobody gives a shit, we'll have gotten past racism/sexism/homophobia as a country.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Pimppeter2 said:

Almost exactly my thoughts, but I'd approximate a 50% chance of an openly homosexual president in my lifetime. (I plan to live for at least another hundred years)

jaateloauto

Jan 23, 2008
Heh, our last president was a 1) woman who 2) did not belong to a religious group and 3) had served as chairman of a gay and lesbian rights movement. Admittedly she has not identified herself as an atheist or a homosexual. Also in the last year's election the runner up candidate with 37,4 % of the popular vote identifies himself as homosexual.

For America though, it's a bit different. 1) I don't see there to be any obstacles for a woman to become president in the US. A great candidate would win no matter his sex. 3) Sexual orientation would still prevent candidate from becoming a president, but not likely in 8 years.

2) I don't see any chance for an atheist president with your educational system and the political two party system you have in place. A lot can happen but currently there is nothing to indicate the American people would ever be all right with an atheist president.

4) Hispanic: 50 years is probably enough.

5) Muslim: never. Islam would have to fundamentally change or the countries that the US has issues with (Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, Pakistan, etc) would have to become very, very different from what they are today for that to ever happen in the US.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Woman, yes more than likely.

Homosexual...possibly. We're in a long overdue cultural shift at the moment where a significant potion of folks are still uneasy about sharing the same rights they enjoy with the homosexual community and a growing number of others are starting to take a positive to indifferent attitude towards the issue.

Athiest: This is a touchier subject than I care to get into at the moment.
I'll leave it at this.

I don't trust that we as a nation are willing to do so.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Pimppeter2 said:

see i think homosexuality is more accepted in america than athiesm. At least in the way i have been treated out there.

Here in the Uk we have already had a woman prime minister and possibly an athiest one (i dont know the full religous history of my countries rulership).

As for homosexual prime minister, i dont know, its not that i couldn't see people getting behind one, its just most that i have met have little to no interest in politics (in a serious enough of a degree for even local elections)
There is one thing Ultra-conservative right wing Christians hate more than liberals and athiests: Homosexuals. They hate them with a passion (for the same reasons as with prejudiced hate in general). So unless we can shut up the ignorant part of the US, we arn't going to have one any time soon.

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
I won't make a prediction as to future presidents, but I will say that out of the three I would vote for a women or a homosexual if I agreed with their politics.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
You also have to consider what percentage they make up of the population. A female president in the next several terms. Then an atheist one probably in my life time because it's quite easy for atheists to become a major part of the population and a gay one last because people who are gay make up a small part of the population. Just running on the chance of the president falling into those groups regardless on voter bias. Voter bias I think will be similar. As the religious intolerant (they are not all intolerant) shrinks along with the rise of secularism. I think this is what will follow. It is kinda depressing when you realise that people vote according to these things :/

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
As my US Government teacher always says, "If you are running for president, and are atheist, change it. The general public hates atheists more than anything." Hell, I'm an atheist, and even I feel a twinge of distaste for other atheists,