Will there be an Atheist, Female, or Homosexual President in our lifetime?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jegsimmons said:
nah, he'd just have to play his cards right, its totally possible, conservatives dont hate atheist....just the dawkinologist.
Atheists are one of the most hated groups in the country. Conservatives pretty much do hate them, and especially the Republican base. You think the same party that has leader trying to put prayer into schools and ban gays "because GOD" and don't think we can trust atheists and muslims are going to vet an atheist for a potential run?

Come now.

And please don't pull a "No True Scotsman" fallacy.
no one is banning 'gays' bro. its just gay marriage.

and to be honest, atheist have only themselves to blame for being so hated.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
I certainly hope so, it'll show that the people have learned to look past the surface and look at the abilities a person has to lead.

Nimcha said:
I kind of suspect America has already had an atheist president.
*facepalm* Frick, this is one reason why people think we're idiots. Can't say I blame 'em.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
Nimcha said:
Let's go with 'openly atheist' then. Most will, at the very least, pay lip service to Christianity, even if they might not believe in their hearts.
Jegsimmons said:
. . . alright, fine, I'll bite. Why is that?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I reckon' America is due a female president one of these days, since Hilary Clinton did relatively well in the last election.

Atheist? Not sure, in Britain atheism simply isn't a big deal, lots of people are, lots of people aren't, we don't care. In America though it's a pretty big deal I gather, so I don't know how long it'd take to get an atheist president.

Gay? Now, that would be interesting. When Obama was running for an election, a lot of the opposition came from people who didn't like that he was black. Only they didn't come out and actually say that, because blatant racism is frowned on (if still prevalent). With a gay president, I suspect people would be a lot more open about their reason for opposition.

I'd say a gay president wouldn't happen for quite a while, I mean look at how much trouble some states have trying to get gay people basic protection from discrimination. Also, I thought presidents were meant to be married, so they could have a First Lady? Or did I make that up? If it's true, could cause trouble for gay men (I presume that if a gay person is running for president with a decent chance of winning, then gay marriage would of been legalised).

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Jegsimmons said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jegsimmons said:
nah, he'd just have to play his cards right, its totally possible, conservatives dont hate atheist....just the dawkinologist.
Atheists are one of the most hated groups in the country. Conservatives pretty much do hate them, and especially the Republican base. You think the same party that has leader trying to put prayer into schools and ban gays "because GOD" and don't think we can trust atheists and muslims are going to vet an atheist for a potential run?

Come now.

Thanks for generalising a group. I was mugged by a black dude once. Can i be racist and claim that black people "only have themselves to blame" if i hate them? No. Because as an atheist i have never done anything to earn such ire. Its equally as wrong to hate me for being an atheist as it is for me to hate all people of a different colour by generalisting. Banning gay marriage is wrong simpley because its the enforcement of one religion onto everyone else. It doesnt matter if its a "sin" because "sin" shouldnt be law.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Suicidejim said:
Nimcha said:
Let's go with 'openly atheist' then. Most will, at the very least, pay lip service to Christianity, even if they might not believe in their hearts.
Jegsimmons said:
. . . alright, fine, I'll bite. Why is that?
ok, now first off, let me say...not all of them, probably not even most of them.
Lets start slow and start with this site, how many threads do you see where atheist are claiming how superior they are with science and logic, yet only focus on the bad side of religion and ignoring the scientific advancements and all the good it brings. I have seen first hand where a group of atheist claim religion is violent then turn around and called for genocide against theism...no fooling, on the site i have seen it. For a belief of just not believing in a certain faith, they tend to act pretty damn hostile, even going out of their way to slam religion. Such as in one case in this thread. the very first comment is an unnecessary slam against religious beliefs for no other reason than to slam it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.337758-Craziest-supidest-theories-you-have-ever-heard?page=1

and for all the complaints they have against organized religion, they turn around and do the same thing. I cant tell you how many times ive seen on the news an organized atheist group bitching about a cross, and statue, or something no one else pays attention to and create controversy for no logical reason....NO REASON AT ALL!!!

Also, when i hear the phrase "free your mind", it seems to imply that people who do believe in god are brainwashed and lack the freedom of choice. Which is the opposite of what is true and i find it ironic that freeing your mind means to believe only in what they believe.

and i repeat, most atheist that i know personally are pretty nice and truly tolerant.
however, in the media and internet there is a strong sense of elitism and hostility and in some cases extreme misinformation.
that's why the public has a fairly negative image of atheist.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
Jegsimmons said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jegsimmons said:

Come now.

Thanks for generalising a group. I was mugged by a black dude once. Can i be racist and claim that black people "only have themselves to blame" if i hate them? No. Because as an atheist i have never done anything to earn such ire. Its equally as wrong to hate me for being an atheist as it is for me to hate all people of a different colour by generalisting. Banning gay marriage is wrong simpley because its the enforcement of one religion onto everyone else. It doesnt matter if its a "sin" because "sin" shouldnt be law.
i explained in the post above so...what ever.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
krellen said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Well, the U.S. is supposed to be built on Christian ideals.
Citation needed.

There is nothing Christian about the founding principles of the US. The only indication of religiosity is the single mention of a "Creator" in the Declaration, and a Creator need not even be a divine being, let alone the Christian God.

If you believe the US is a "Christian nation" built on "Christian ideals", you've been sold a bill of goods.[/quote
In which case, I retract my statement and say I don't do a lot of research.

The thinking behind my statement is the constantly being told about how we are a "Christian nation." I wonder what happened to "separation of church and state" though. This applies, right?

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Female = any time in any election, I say within the next five
Atheist = sadly, I think we'll see one soon, if at all--atheists are pretty much public enemy number one :(
A homosexual president = within the next five
An independent (non-Republican or Democratic) president = ...I have no guess.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
girzwald said:
Also. Why are having a gay, atheist and female presidents "accomplishments". So, until we have an atheist president in a majority religious nation.....we are incomplete? Pure stupidity. If people are supposed to be be people and everyone is supposed to be equal, then stop separating people into groups.
What you are doing is twisting meaning to say things that were not said.

What he said was about how it is not 'possible' to be an atheist president because of the current climate, and how it should be possible (note: not 'required' or 'will happen to make the country better').

What you read was some sort of implied insult about America.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
In America, female seems to be the only plausible one to expect. No way more than half the country is going to vote for an atheist or homosexual though.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
The thinking behind my statement is the constantly being told about how we are a "Christian nation." I wonder what happened to "separation of church and state" though. This applies, right?
It should.

The "Christian Nation" thing is the bill of goods you bought. The birth of the idea of a "Christian Nation" was during the Cold War; it was a tactic devised to pit the "good Christian" US against the "godless Communist" Soviets. The finest example of this was the addition of "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance]. My parents remember saying the pledge without that phrase. My grandfather (a WWII vet) refused to ever say it.

Since McCarthy's time, the right-wing (usually) has tried to push this idea of the "Christian nation" into the national conversation. They have, unfortunately, succeeded to some extent, largely because the left has abdicated the debate altogether.

Mortai Gravesend said:
A homosexual president within the next 5 and a female president within the next 5? You're betting on a lesbian appearing suddenly and winning in the 2016 elections? XD
I'm pretty sure the poster meant next 5 elections, not next 5 years.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Question. Does it really matter? Presidents shouldn't be noted for their religion, gender or sexual preference as far as I'm concerned, screaming "FIRST WOMAN PRESIDENT!" Or "FIRST GAY PRESIDENT!" just seems like a cheap way to reel in votes, and you know people will do that. Presidents should be elected on their merits and nothing more.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Well in Australia right now we have a woman and an atheist prime minister...
Not sure about a homosexual one; we may have had one already and not known... who knows..