Windows 10 Won't Run Certain Games With Securom or SafeDisc

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Windows 10 Won't Run Certain Games With Securom or SafeDisc

Want to play Grand Theft Auto 3 or The Sims on Windows 10? Securom and SafeDisk won't let you.

Windows 10 is getting <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/scienceandtech/14393-Windows-10-Should-Be-the-Last-OS-You-Will-Ever-Need>a mostly positive reception outside of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142002-Microsoft-Windows-10s-Mandatory-Updates-Could-Be-Blowing-Through-Data-Caps-In-Remote-Locations>a few frustating hiccups, but clearly it's a good platform for playing all our PC games, right? Not quite - some older titles are practically unplayable, but the reason has nothing to do with compatibility. Games like Grand Theft Auto 3, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, and the original Sims reportedly won't play without complex workarounds, thanks to key versions of Securom and SafeDisc ruled unsafe by Microsoft.

"Everything that ran in Windows 7 should also run in Windows 10," Microsoft's Boris Schneider-Johne said at Gamescom. "There are just two silly exceptions: Antivirus software and stuff that's deeply embedded into the system needs updating - but the developers are on it already - and then there are old games on CD-Rom that have DRM. This DRM stuff is also deeply embedded in your system, and that's where Windows 10 says 'sorry, we cannot allow that, because that would be a possible loophole for computer viruses.' That's why there are a couple of games from 2003-2008 with Securom, etc. that simply don't run without a no-CD patch or some such. We can just not support that if it's a possible danger for our users. There are a couple of patches from developers already, and there is stuff like GOG where you'll find versions of those games that work."

Securom and SafeDisc were controversial, but widely-used copy protection programs intended to prevent pirates from duplicating their original game disks. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/12765-Denuvo-s-Success-Proves-the-Futility-of-DRM>Whether they actually did their job is a matter of debate, but most gamers remember them for frustrating secondary features. Securom was often tied to an online activation system that locked players from their games, while older versions of SafeDisc had notable security vulnerabilities.

To be clear, Microsoft's decision to block these programs was probably the safest decision - who wants to fall victim to security flaws almost a decade old? But that hasn't stopped the Rovi Corporation, SafeDisc's creators, from saying Microsoft could have done more. "Safedisc DRM hasn't been supported for a few years now, and the driver has consequently not been updated for some time," Rovi told PCGamesHardware.de. "Microsoft should have migrated the existing software since Windows 8. We don't know if that's still possible with Windows 10 or if they simply didn't care about it."

So what can players do? If you can't find an official patch, the easiest option is to repurchase the game through GOG.com, or another digital distributor that removed the fussy DRM. You can also use software <a href=http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo>which updates the driver signature or <a href=https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553467%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>do so manually to make your game playable. Outside of that you'll either have to turn to a (still illegal) no-CD crack, or keep an older version of Windows handy.

Either way, this is yet another reminder that restrictive DRM and video games rarely go hand-in-hand.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
hm... thats how i play the sims anyway..allways have after the errors i had with sims2

also, its sims2 and the digital download version of the sims3 that have the SecuR0M....the sims1 just had the safedisk, which wasnt quite as bad. but the SecuR0M had me in fits because it was murdering my mainboards for years till i learned what it was doing.

and, you cant just buy the sims games from EA, because the origin installs the DRM too (which is why the old disk version of sims3 was usefull. you could choose not to install the EADM, otherwise known as EADownloadManager...which kept the secuR0M away, but the digital version with it or the origin version, installed the secuR0M anyway lol. and the 2012 and up versions wouldnt let you refuse to install origin....)

though at least you can use a mod for the sims3, instead of a no-cd...

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Wait, GTAIII used either of those? other than checking if the disk is in the drive I never had any problems reagrding DRM.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So, when you install the no-CD crack, will Windows 10 detect it and disable the game as it's clearly 'pirated' software?

The always online, always updating, always watching you future looks wonderful. Looks like I'm sticking with Win 7 until something comes out that I need that cannot be run on it, otherwise known as the XP scenario.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Good on them. These forms of DRM were awfully dangerous, and I'm glad to see MS closing up such a big security hole. I'll be annoying for consumers now, but in the long run it'll be a good thing.

That said, it's worth noting this only affects certain versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc, those that latch on to the disc drive and related drivers. For example, anything that has no disc protection, but uses SecuROM to phone home and count activations on a license key? That'll continue working as before. Microsoft's target here isn't DRM in general, just some of the more broken and dangerous DRM that behaves more like malware. Among other things, this means the Origin version of The Sims 2 will work just fine on Win10, because it does not use any disc version of SecuROM at all.

fix-the-spade said:
So, when you install the no-CD crack, will Windows 10 detect it and disable the game as it's clearly 'pirated' software?
This isn't implemented at all yet, and even when it is, the EULA only allows them to do this to games that Microsoft either owns or distributes. Won't affect people cracking their old Sims installs at all.

P.S. Thanks

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
Wait, GTAIII used either of those? other than checking if the disk is in the drive I never had any problems reagrding DRM.
\
It's the "checking if the disk is in the drive" that is the problem. Digital Restrictions Management like SecuROM basically acts like a Ring0 rootkit and demands full hardware access, which is also why SecuROM and Starforce were able to physically damage drives and disks: their crap interfered with the actual hardware.

Basically, this is Microsoft telling the crimina... the DRM merchants that the gig is up. As for game publishers, either they release a DRM free installer, or they lose all right to whine about nocd patches.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
erbkaiser said:
0takuMetalhead said:
\
It's the "checking if the disk is in the drive" that is the problem. Digital Restrictions Management like SecuROM basically acts like a Ring0 rootkit and demands full hardware access, which is also why SecuROM and Starforce were able to physically damage drives and disks: their crap interfered with the actual hardware.

Basically, this is Microsoft telling the crimina... the DRM merchants that the gig is up. As for game publishers, either they release a DRM free installer, or they lose all right to whine about nocd patches.
May I ask you then which of those "companies" III uses for DRM? I know that these kinds of DRM can be lethal, but I never knew that GTAIII made use of one that could be considered a rootkit.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Not sure about 3, lost my disk for it ages ago. San Andreas and IV (disk) use SecuROM though so probably 3 did as well.

To be truthful later versions of SecuROM (7 and up IIRC) weren't as harmful as previous ones or the likes of Starforce and Safedisk, but it's still cancer.

Take Two is (was?) one of the worst publishers, especially with GTAIV's initial release. That game had up to four layers of DRM bogging it down.

Edit: it's worse. GTA 3 was infected with Safedisc. Moving to SecuROM for the sequels was an improvement on it!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Windows 10 is a gift that just keeps on giving, isn't it? I know it's a not really an issue when you can simply use a no-cd crack. But still, the flaws of this OS keep getting revealed almost every day.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Windows 10 is a gift that just keeps on giving, isn't it? I know it's a not really an issue when you can simply use a no-cd crack. But still, the flaws of this OS keep getting revealed almost every day.
It's a bit of a lose-lose scenario here, where it's less of an OS flaw, and more of a design decision. Personally holding out on my W10 verdict, but I can't really fault them here for not putting up with the kind of harmful bullshit secuROM / SafeDisc introduce.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
RealRT said:
No, do tell me more why I shouldn't even consider upgrading from 7.
Because an OS that refuses to let malware (which is what these versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc clearly are, by their own admission) run is objectively an improvement over one that doesn't?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Windows 10? What's that? I only recall there being 7, right Mr. Laptop?

Mr. Laptop: Indeed, master! Nothing more advanced than Windows 7 Ultimate. I heard some rumors the other day, but...no! These were just lies! Amusing fantasies and tales of terror!

There, you see? Never heard of it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
erbkaiser said:
Not sure about 3, lost my disk for it ages ago. San Andreas and IV (disk) use SecuROM though so probably 3 did as well.

To be truthful later versions of SecuROM (7 and up IIRC) weren't as harmful as previous ones or the likes of Starforce and Safedisk, but it's still cancer.

Take Two is (was?) one of the worst publishers, especially with GTAIV's initial release. That game had up to four layers of DRM bogging it down.

Edit: it's worse. GTA 3 was infected with Safedisc. Moving to SecuROM for the sequels was an improvement on it!
This is admittedly worrying me now. I'll check the disk later if the files are present on it (haven't played it myself in awhile, hell, I think I use a no-CD crack for this game on my current laptop). Thanks for the info though, appreciate it.

Edit: hours after my internet went offline, I used a tool to remove it from the .exe. Should work now without the horrible DRM kicking in I think.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
"Booo DRM is cancer, ban evil DRM!!" "Hey guys, Microsoft refuses to support dangerous loophole ridden rootkit DRM" "BOOOOO Microsoft is cancer, give us back our DRM!!!" Never change internet.

From my perspective this is a good thing, nice to see MS finally bothering to give a damn about security.
fix-the-spade said:
You do realize that was a load of clickbaiting bullshit based on a snippit of the EULA, the intended application of which is totally unknown, and there is zero evidence of Win10 ever shutting down pirated software, nevermind the insane complexities of how that would even work? People are wayyyy to quick to belive anything they read so long as it supports their preconceived notions.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, another entry for my list of reasons for not updating my PC to Windows 10

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Steve the Pocket said:
RealRT said:
No, do tell me more why I shouldn't even consider upgrading from 7.
Because an OS that refuses to let malware (which is what these versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc clearly are, by their own admission) run is objectively an improvement over one that doesn't?
glad you said it so i didn't have to... this is just people WANTING to hate the new windows OS because hating any version of windows after XP is the cool thing to do...

this is actually a PRO-CONSUMER move by microsoft that should be celebrated. yes, it's made a few older games unplayable, but that's not the fault of the OS for trying to protect you. place the blame where it lies: with the DRM makers.

this is another example of DRM not stopping pirates but still hampering the legal use and ownership, and microsoft is taking a great approach to it: make it not work. that will force the hands of game publishers that want their game playable on PC to also adopt a pro-consumer approach to their DRM policies.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
How is this a bad thing? Old buggy DRM software is no longer supported meaning you can't play a handful of old games. But you can play without the DRM anyways because the article states several work-arounds. Again, how is this a bad thing? This adds to my pro-update pile.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Flaws? Not allowing horrible malware-like DRM to infest a windows 10 system is a 'flaw'?

This isn't a flaw. The alternative decision would've been worse.

Unfortunately, the side effect is this old stuff breaks. Because it was designed to break the games on purpose if anything tries to circumvent it's over-the-top dubious methods of functioning.

Forcing this stuff to not work on windows 10 also deters people trying to resume using such absurd methods in the future.

This is a good thing. Just has frustrating side effects.