Windows 7: Last Chance Before Alpha

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Anachronism said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
One thing that may get people excited is the news of an XP mode, which, hopefully, is the backwards compatibility that most Windows users scream for. The only problem is that it may not run accelerated graphics in XP, but as long as 7 is supported by the big games manufacturers, this shouldn't really be a big problem.
Even after I upgrade, I'll be able to play my XP games! This is fantastic news; one of the big reasons I didn't upgrade to Vista apart from, you know, the bugs, was the fact that I'd heard it was very unfriendly to games. This is great.
Actually, I use Vista and I've found my XP games run a lot smoother and faster on Vista than they ever did on XP. Maybe it's just me, but Vista seems much better than XP for playing all my old pre-Vista games, not just those released after Vista was released.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Hold it. If one of the big draws of the new software is that it lets you run under the style and functionality of the old software, doesn't that tell a company they should spend their time and money making the old software better and safer, instead of making new software no one wants?

I understand Microsoft claims they need to keep churning new OSs out because of security concerns. But I also understand that doing so is very, very convenient for Bill Gate's philanthropic bank account.

When 7 becomes standard and therefore necessary to surf and game, then I'll switch over. Until then, I'll stick with XP and Firefox, thank you.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
is it just me, or the step after beta is not alpha but release candidate...

anyway, it's available today for autorized microsoft partner, and for everybody already in the beta on May 5th. i must say that it run smoothly. i've try it with steam and it worked perfectly...

Right now all point for either a september release or a january 2010 release...

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
DaMunky89 said:
Yeah, don't get too excited guys, I really don't see why everybody whines about Vista. I get an unexplained program crash like, once a week, *shrug*
That be the reason most hate it as my PC of late keeps rejecting my ram of late soon as I fixed that it fucked up my graphics card and currently cannot play dvds due to the anti piracy protection feature (all games legit.) On top of fact cannot uninstall nwn what was corrupted. And that just on my new PC, old one I not even going to. Just hope it comes out soon as I'm glad not going XP route and just service pack after service pack.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:
CoziestPigeon said:
I've got a beta copy running and it really is actually good. Like, REALLY good.
How good we talking about?
About a bazillion times better than vista :p Way better than XP, and I prefer it alot over the Mac OS. It's just so...good :p

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
oliveira8 said:
CoziestPigeon said:
How good we talking about?
About a bazillion times better than vista :p Way better than XP, and I prefer it alot over the Mac OS. It's just so...good :p
Sounds good..I'll wait for awhile to see how it goes after it gets released.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Oui.
So, how good we talking here? Good enough to be worth upgrading the second it hits shelves good? Are there any issues that you've had with it? Someone else mentioned problems networking, a particular concern of mine.

I guess I just want to hear it: is 7 win-filled cookie dough? Are there any things in particular that are really good about it?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
scotth266 said:
It seems to me that 7 might be *gasp* good? I'll give it a swing when the release bugs are hammered out. Until then, Vista will suffice.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't have a problem with how Vista runs. I would like to think I'm computer-savvy enough to know if my OS were poor, and I've never had that thought while using Vista. Where'd all the hate come from to start with?

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Oui.
So, how good we talking here? Good enough to be worth upgrading the second it hits shelves good? Are there any issues that you've had with it? Someone else mentioned problems networking, a particular concern of mine.

I guess I just want to hear it: is 7 win-filled cookie dough? Are there any things in particular that are really good about it?
I'd say it's cookie dough, maybe not filled with win just yet, but this is very close.

gyro2death

The Chosen
Mar 5, 2009
Ok first off, people who bag on vista need to get a reality check, since SP1 its not nearly as bad as it was, its actually outperforms xp in video games...don't believe me...I know, go here.... CLICK THIS [http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302495,00.asp]
(Side note: Yes on poor hardware xp outruns vista, but on the specs above it gets tied and beat almost always.)

Anyways, back to windows 7, great news is its faster than Vista in every ways, same for XP. Can't say its the best at gaming yet as the ULA prohibits scores from being posted(from synthetic benchmarks and any other method you can think of). But if you look around you'll find comparisons of people telling you how favorably it performs against vista and xp. So in short, if you don't have the beta, your missing out, if your not going to get the RC you need help, because if rumors are true the RC comes public May 5th. Lucky me Microsoft leaks like a wooden shake made of splinters so I already have it, but for the honest and noble people, it should come soon :)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Oui.

I'd say it's cookie dough, maybe not filled with win just yet, but this is very close.
Mmmm. Cookie dough by itself can still be quite delicious... what about those other questions of mine? Got anything particular you'd like to share with the class?

gyro2death

The Chosen
Mar 5, 2009
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Oui.

Windows 7 will have all the compatibility of Vista plus more if you get XPM(XP Mode). The only reason not to get it is that it will be expensive as all hell at first, like any product is. Hopefully I can ride about my RC key till the prices drop. But otherwise I can't see why not, I have been using it as my primary since 7068 and have never looked back, couple of bugs since I use the 64 bit version and dell dropped support for 64 bit on my laptop, but I have no problems now, and anyone else I'm sure can do the same.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
scotth266 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
CoziestPigeon said:
Oui.

Mmmm. Cookie dough by itself can still be quite delicious... what about those other questions of mine? Got anything particular you'd like to share with the class?
I do very much like it's install new programs thingy, it's not too intrusive, but at the same time let's you nkow there might be a risk to your machine.

New bug: Exiting Oblivion sometimes crashes the game and requires Ctrl Alt Del. But that might be the game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think I've said it few times already, but...

W7 will be totally worth the wait. It's really awesome even on a weak-ass Virtual Machine without GPU.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
If the horrible slowdowns and broken backwards compatibility of Vista really are fixed, it should be good. Though I haven't tried 7 personally, I'm willing to believe it's good, if only because Microsoft has a history of alternating terrible operating systems with good ones.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I've been spoiled by my XP machine, bought in the last month of XP's original lifecycle before Vista was released. I often say to people "my computer boots up in less time than it takes an NBA team to get off a shot" (24 seconds, for you non-sports fans). When Windows 7 can inspire a similar sports metaphor (I'll even grant it "football team to get a play off"---40 seconds) I'll be suitably impressed. I'm thinking my next PC build will happen sometime in 2010 so MS has that time to work the kinks out and get the first service pack built.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Just a little correction, an alpha release is before the beta release, and is usually the "extremely private closed beta" stage in which there are 5x more bugs and technical issues. When in alpha stage it's generally the structure of the software being made, and when that's completed, they move onto the beta in which they finish everything up while thinking of new ideas.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I have been using Vista for 2 years now and I can honestly say it has really only given me minimal problems that are usually fixable by just searching the internet. The only headaches I have with it is installing/running older games HOWEVER this issue is easily gotten around by either sticking that program in compatibility mode, running it as an Administrator (sp?), manipulate the files so it can run on Vista (An example would be getting System Shock 2 to run without exploding) or running the game in a DOS utility that I downloaded for pre-Windows ME/NT (Like Tomb Raider 1-4 and the first 2 Elder Scroll games).