Windows 7: Last Chance Before Alpha

The Political Gamer

Oct 12, 2008
For me the Windows 7 beta is one of the best OS betas I have ever tested! I love 7, the startup times are faster than ever, 99.99% of my games work on it (even the ones that would not work on Vista zomg!), it just works. 7 just is a good mix of XP and Vista and that is only the beta! I am getting 7 as soon as it comes out. P.S. I am also running a copy of the 7 Beta on a Dell that originally had Windows 2000 and it is faster than Vista on startup!

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I have the latest beta
its really good
I'm using it right now
My brother had problems playing fallout3 on Windows 7
But who cares
no one wants to play that rubbish anyway

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
I have to make some correction here. The XP Virtual Compatibility is ONLY for the Business, enterprise and Ultimate editions. This means it won't be access able by the majority of users. I hope they change their mind in time.

Anyway, I'm currently running Windows 7 Beta Build 7068 and it has been a dream so far. Everything pretty much works and it has been surprisingly stable and less painful than XP. XP feels like the shit compared to this master piece.

On the side note: Microsoft has already started working on Windows 8.

Feb 13, 2008
redmarine said:
I have to make some correction here. The XP Virtual Compatibility is ONLY for the Business, enterprise and Ultimate editions. This means it won't be access able by the majority of users. I hope they change their mind in time.
Ah cheers for that, at the time of reporting there was only news it was available.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
redmarine said:
Ah cheers for that, at the time of reporting there was only news it was available.
But they are implementing it meaning they do care. Now they just need to take another small step and we're all happy. =D

karmapolizei

Sep 26, 2008
I will upgrade as soon as the final version comes out. Thankfully, I won't have to pay anything to get it - all hail MS Dev. Net Academic Alliance ;)
Next year, I will also shell out a bit of cash for a new notebook - that'll be much easier once all this "Which OS will it ship with" clutter is gone.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
redmarine said:
There are also rumblings that XP VC needs an additional set of downloads to operate; it's less than a fully dual-boot arrangement, but apparently still rather hefty.

-- Steve

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
I've got a beta copy running and it really is actually good. Like, REALLY good.
Same here, haven't come across any major bugs.
Plus I'm gonna be building myself a custom rig before I go to University so I'll probably end up using the full Windows 7 for a while.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Trivun said:
I have to say that I actually like Vista. All these so called 'problems' that people have with it, like a slow response time, aren't affecting me one bit. I use Vista on my PC and it is much better than XP, which my family still use on their own computer. In fact, for them, XP is much slower and much more laggy and glitchy than Vista! Why all the Vista hate, people, since I personally have never had any sort of problem with it to date?
You know, I thought so too when my laptop came with Vista. No really big issues.
Then I dual-booted Ubuntu.
Two days later Vista was gone and I was 100% Ubuntu. Why? Because my boot time was reduced by a significant amount, and the system ran, over all, so much faster. Now for games Ubuntu wasn't that great. But I was able to play WoW (I was playing at the time), Half-Life 2, and Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. The only games I really play on the computer. So I was set.

Vista is fine if you've got the hardware, but it's a bloated mess. Windows XP was fine, and 7 is looking to be along the same vein. Vista should be forgotten like ME. Poorly designed.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I am sticking with my copy of Xp for now but I've heard good thigns from my collegues at work who were in the BETA.

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
Well as it's not too far away I think I can wait, personally I'm not overly entranced by Microsoft's shiny apple after I found out their last one was rotten.
I will say that, however much Vista is complained against if you discount all the stuff that actually makes an OS like computability, reliability, adaptability etc.. For all of its fault Vista is visually awesome, but apparently unless I have misheard Windows 7 is an adjusted or totally revamped version of Vista in essence of the same basic operations at its core with adjustments made to how it operates to give more efficient and quicker speeds.
I have become slightly frustrated with Vista with infinite compatibility errors and a drain on my resources.
So any improvement is worth the wait but in the case of well established, shiny graphical effects; Vista users whether by choice or not to pay for and to go through the effort of partitioning it.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Makes no odds to me. Goin' Mac this summer. And, as the saying goes, once you go Mac...

Not that I have any particular affiliations to one company or the other. Just a professional neccessity.