Windows 8 Hits 100 Million Sales

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Jaeger_CDN said:
Hagi said:
Most of the game seems to come from the fact that it's the newest Microsoft OS. Those are always hated.

As several have mentioned already, performance-wise it's actually better than Win7.
Performance wise yes it works well but if it looks and acts like crap, it's still a crap OS. The whole point of a GUI is to make the experience of using it easier. What Microsoft did was take 23 years of user experience and toss it down the drain just because it peeked over the fence at Apple and wanted to copy them. Hell even Apple is in trouble because they are losing market share left and right to Android driven products in both tablets and phones.
I'm not quite sure what Windows 8 you're using, assuming you've even used it. But everything is still there.

Just close the damn start screen and it's pretty much exactly the same except it performs better. The only thing that isn't there is the start menu. If it's a program you use often it should be on your desktop anyway and if it's one you don't then just use the search function to find it instantly or find it through the perfectly normal Windows Explorer.

95% of Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with some fresh paint and a whole bunch of optimizations. In order to see it though you do need to have the amazing ability to close the indeed horribly designed start screen and go to your normal desktop.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SpAc3man said:
There is nothing stopping you from setting up Windows 8 the way you want. In fact it is designed to be personalised to your needs. The desktop doesn't operate any differently to how it used to. In fact it does everything it used to but better. Just like Microsoft intended.
Setting up windows 8 the way i want? well if i recode it perhaps. but then having to recode the OS to do what the previuos version did is hardly an improvement.

SpAc3man said:
Everything you have said just shows that you actually do not have a clue what you are talking about. The "roots" or kernel of Windows 8 is actually very stable. Windows 8 has an insane amount of built in support for hardware. It has numerous improvements for power users such as ISO support, a much improved task manager, the power user menu, an excellent multiboot system, a vastly improved search function, an improved file explorer and quite clearly an excellent replacement to the aged and disorganised start menu that is much easier to use and organise to the user's preference.

Please elaborate on your grossly misguided statements. I am having trouble seeing any examples backing up your rather vague criticism.
Stability is useless without functionality. Windows 7 had insane amount of support for hardware too. they were called drivers.
ISO support? i never asked for this. i dont even use this obsolete format, everything is in .bins now. I agree that iso support should have been supported natively from, say, windows 2000, but any archivator that you are going to use anyway will do that for you. And no, the support for now obsolete ZIP and cintinued support for rarely used CAB will not do. The day windows starts to naturally extract .dat files we can talk about not needing 3rd party archivators.
Have you tried to isntall any home brewed software, heck, even the less known officialy supported software? it tells you the proram is unknown and you wont be albe to do anything, because hey we want you to pay for this program how dare you download a free version.
I never in my life needed a multiboot, unless the multiboot would allow me to keep linux and windows on at same time, can it?
The search was... lacking i give you that.
start menu is not disorganized, that is, unless you make it so. you seem to give examples of pointless addons that could been no more than a autoupdate patch or features they ruined as exampels of why win 8 is superior....
I mean i cna understand EA wanting you to pay 10 dollars for 2 maps, but i shouldnt pay the price of new windows for a few windows updates should i?

Snotnarok said:
Oh Win8 is terrible the lighter faster loading OS is just so unappealing right? It's so different with the metro bar being accessed in the same spot as the old task bar whine whine whine.

All the nay sayers may want to be reminded that Win8 was also sold for 15 bucks at launch if you had bought a PC and wanted to upgrade for like a year you got it for dirt cheap, not just PCs coming with it they also had a insane deal.
It was so bad they had to sell it at 15 dollars?
Speed of OS loading - maters the first 5 minutes of you starting to work with it. the way OS works matters for 8 hours that follows. which is more important?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
taciturnCandid said:
I don't understand the hate for windows 8. I upgraded to it for free from my university and I've found really good performance.

My computer is a little more snappy and I have been able to run things at slightly higher settings than on 7. Unlike some people I really like the start screen and the charms. I've always thought that the start menu was retarded and used things like rainmeter to bypass it.

Things like upgraded task manager, better networking support, easier multi-screen support and the improved search tool has really helped. I use some of the apps, but not too many, but the smartglass is actually pretty nice for netflix and stuff.

Once you get used to keyboard shortcuts you don't need menus anyways.
The problem is some people do need menus. Windows' biggest purchasers are businesses and they have users who STILL think the dvd drive is a cup holder. With a lot of sweat and hard work they can get the basics beaten into them and barely manage to function, providing the methods they've learned to operate the OS don't get changed up on them.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Strazdas said:
Setting up windows 8 the way i want? well if i recode it perhaps. but then having to recode the OS to do what the previuos version did is hardly an improvement.
There is nothing stopping you from installing programs that add the functionality you want. The start screen can be organised how you want. The taskbar, desktop and program defaults are all yours to set how you want. Windows 8 isn't hard coded to be one thing and one thing only. It is designed to be personalised. You don't need to recode anything unless no one else offers what you want.

Stability is useless without functionality. Windows 7 had insane amount of support for hardware too. they were called drivers.
ISO support? i never asked for this. i dont even use this obsolete format, everything is in .bins now. I agree that iso support should have been supported natively from, say, windows 2000, but any archivator that you are going to use anyway will do that for you. And no, the support for now obsolete ZIP and cintinued support for rarely used CAB will not do. The day windows starts to naturally extract .dat files we can talk about not needing 3rd party archivators.
Have you tried to isntall any home brewed software, heck, even the less known officialy supported software? it tells you the proram is unknown and you wont be albe to do anything, because hey we want you to pay for this program how dare you download a free version.
I never in my life needed a multiboot, unless the multiboot would allow me to keep linux and windows on at same time, can it?
The search was... lacking i give you that.
start menu is not disorganized, that is, unless you make it so. you seem to give examples of pointless addons that could been no more than a autoupdate patch or features they ruined as exampels of why win 8 is superior....
I mean i cna understand EA wanting you to pay 10 dollars for 2 maps, but i shouldnt pay the price of new windows for a few windows updates should i?
The functionality is all there. They haven't removed anything that wasn't obsolete.

When I say hardware support I mean built in drivers. Even more than Windows 7 for that matter. My Windows 8 installation could use my networked printer right away while when I had Windows 7 I had to download drivers to make it work.

Now that I see that you think ISO is obsolete and using raw binary files as disk images is better I can honestly say you are actually taking the piss and don't actually know anything.

Archivator is not a type of program. It is an app for Macs.

Windows 8 doesn't stop you from installing unsigned software. It gives you a warning that you can choose to ignore.

A lot of people who know what they are talking about find multi-booting useful. I for one have Ubuntu installed in a multi-boot for C, C++ and Python development.

The search function doesn't lack anything apart from maybe a global field as well as apps, settings and files. You don't seem to have any reasoning for that statement.

The start screen is a lot quicker and easier to organise than the start menu ever was.

Microsoft is a commercial company. They aren't about to scrap making new operating systems to focus on delivering all their new products as free patches.

Lastly I would recommend you proofread your posts. Web browsers have spell checking these days so there is really no excuse for the number of spelling errors you make.