Wireless Controller Used To Track Down Stolen Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wireless Controller Used To Track Down Stolen Xbox 360

An Xbox 360 [http://www.xbox.com] thief who wasn't as thorough as he should have been was busted after a wireless controller he forgot to swipe was used to track down the system.

Ryan Ketsenburg, a sophomore at Missouri State University [http://www.missouristate.edu/], said someone entered his unlocked room while he and his roommate were sleeping and stole his console. When he woke and discovered his 360 was missing, he turned on a wireless controller that had been left behind and found that it was still connecting to the system. By moving throughout the residence with his controller, he was able to determine that the console was on the fifth floor, and followed it from there to a specific room.

The floor assistant checked the room where Ketsenburg believed the console was located and found it. The Xbox 360 was returned once he was able to prove it was his by turning the unit on with the wireless remote, but the hard drive had already been formatted.

The alleged offender has not been named, and at the time of the original report he had not yet returned to the room to discover the collapse of his criminal master plan. Ketsenburg told The Standard Online [http://media.www.the-standard.org/media/storage/paper1059/news/2008/12/09/News/Student.Uses.Technology.To.Find.Stolen.Xbox-3575222.shtml] that he intends to prosecute the thief, saying, "I'm going to try to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, because I had to follow all the rules, so let's make sure it gets done right."

There's a lesson to be learned in all of this. Do I have to tell you what it is? Stealing is wrong! (Less ethical lessons that you might take away from this are your own business and certainly not something I'm going to encourage. Show some respect for your fellow gamer.)

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Of course if I knew where he lived I would wait till he was asleep then kick him in the balls an run off.

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
This just goes to show you that only the well thought out plans will work when it comes to stealing... something that petty criminals rarely do.

You would think that people would realize whether or not they have the head for stuff like this... if the guy wanted the XBOX THAT badly, you would think he would have taken the controller with him too.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
That was surprisingly clever and I hope the guy who stole this gets a kick in the balls for stealing and FORMATTING something as sacred as a gamers' console, instead of spending 2 days in jail with a 20 dollar fine.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Question from non-360 owner.

How do you track one using only the wirless controller? Does it have a signal strength bar or something?

Nov 28, 2007
To all the people asking about the controller, he probably had more than one, and the thief didn't need more than one.

Edit: And fix-a-spade, it only has a range of thirty feet. So he managed to narrow it down to the floor, and then through process of elimination, found the room.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Question from non-360 owner.

How do you track one using only the wirless controller? Does it have a signal strength bar or something?
If you use a controller with an xbox then it is set to start up that specific xbox when switched on. You can change this by pressing a small button on the top to make it look for new consoles. As the controller can frequently disconect at really long ranges, it probably detected the console a few floors above, then when they went out with it to find the console it disconnected meaning they were getting further away.

LaxLuster

Dec 11, 2008
Pretty damned clever way of finding stolen property... and pretty damned dumb to steal from somebody who lives in the same building. College thieves should stick to pirating music and stealing toilet paper.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's gonna be hard to find a techno-savvy enough jury to understand that as evidence. It seems to me like there's a lot of ways to weasel out of a guilty verdict from "Well, an Xbox Wireless controller worked with an Xbox 360."

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
It's gonna be hard to find a techno-savvy enough jury to understand that as evidence. It seems to me like there's a lot of ways to weasel out of a guilty verdict from "Well, an Xbox Wireless controller worked with an Xbox 360."
You've got a point there... hopefully, the prosecution is smart enough to get through the skulls of the (maybe) thick jury.

As for the thief, he was stupid, and deserves to be punished for his crime.