Wisconsin Teens Claim They Stabbed Friend To Please Slenderman: Update

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
MCerberus said:
nuba km said:
MCerberus said:
So what do kids do? They either 1. break, become the criminals they're being treated as or 2. clique up against something, anything that promises a common enemy and outlet. Combined number 2 and social media and we get the current bullying situation. Oh, and mix in some "you're special" and we have the perfect conditions for sociopathy!
While I agree with the statement that you have made overall, sociopathy is not something that someone develops its something people are born with. Like autism, dyslexia and many other mental disabilities. Sociopaths are born lacking the parts of the brain resbonsible for sympothy and similiar emotions, many sociopaths become normal members of society such as buissness men and women, lawyers, doctors and any job that gives them high levels of authority and/or control over other peoples lives, they may treat people well or poorly it all depends to what ever most feeds their ego or they get most enjoyment out of. Also most socipaths are really hard to spot if they are sociopaths or not, as since birth they spent most of their time learning how to behave to get the response from people they want. They are born masters of social manipulation.
I thought sociopathic tendencies could be conditioned to as a survival technique or a wrong turn during the time where emotional intelligence is being gained.
In which case, my original statement was still incorrect because I used the wrong word(s).
sociopathy is the complete lack of sympothy, high ego, nerves of steel and normally very high intellegance and charm, though only the first three are required for diagnosis of sociopathy (btw sociopaths and psychopaths are both people with sociopathy but just are used normally to differentiate socipaths who have done violant actions and those which have not, their capability of comitting violance are the same the only difference is their likely hood of comitting violance). I suppose in extrem cases people will surpress or shutdown their sympothy i.e. people in concentration camps or in war, to avoid their moral from dropping too low and by extension their will to live. So while sympothy could drop or be hidden for survival in the same way people hide their emotions and sexuality for survival, at the end of the day it would still be there.

Fun fact, many psychologist believe that james bond and ferris bueller are excellent examples of sociopaths, charming, careing, always know the right thing to say, never break a swet, able to avoid consequnce with extreme skill, willing to use people who trust them, and when it comes to james bond, willing to kill people wihtout a momments hesitation. The joker from the darknight is also considered an excellent example of a spotlight violant sociopath, i.e. a sociopath who wants to be the centre of attention and also a sociopath who loves violance.

captia: live free, <.<
beacuase I go the first one wrong somehow, seond captia: Karma points

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
nuba km said:
MCerberus said:
nuba km said:
MCerberus said:
So what do kids do? They either 1. break, become the criminals they're being treated as or 2. clique up against something, anything that promises a common enemy and outlet. Combined number 2 and social media and we get the current bullying situation. Oh, and mix in some "you're special" and we have the perfect conditions for sociopathy!
While I agree with the statement that you have made overall, sociopathy is not something that someone develops its something people are born with. Like autism, dyslexia and many other mental disabilities. Sociopaths are born lacking the parts of the brain resbonsible for sympothy and similiar emotions, many sociopaths become normal members of society such as buissness men and women, lawyers, doctors and any job that gives them high levels of authority and/or control over other peoples lives, they may treat people well or poorly it all depends to what ever most feeds their ego or they get most enjoyment out of. Also most socipaths are really hard to spot if they are sociopaths or not, as since birth they spent most of their time learning how to behave to get the response from people they want. They are born masters of social manipulation.
I thought sociopathic tendencies could be conditioned to as a survival technique or a wrong turn during the time where emotional intelligence is being gained.
In which case, my original statement was still incorrect because I used the wrong word(s).
sociopathy is the complete lack of sympothy, high ego, nerves of steel and normally very high intellegance and charm, though only the first three are required for diagnosis of sociopathy (btw sociopaths and psychopaths are both people with sociopathy but just are used normally to differentiate socipaths who have done violant actions and those which have not, their capability of comitting violance are the same the only difference is their likely hood of comitting violance). I suppose in extrem cases people will surpress or shutdown their sympothy i.e. people in concentration camps or in war, to avoid their moral from dropping too low and by extension their will to live. So while sympothy could drop or be hidden for survival in the same way people hide their emotions and sexuality for survival, at the end of the day it would still be there.

Fun fact, many psychologist believe that james bond and ferris bueller are excellent examples of sociopaths, charming, careing, always know the right thing to say, never break a swet, able to avoid consequnce with extreme skill, willing to use people who trust them, and when it comes to james bond, willing to kill people wihtout a momments hesitation. The joker from the darknight is also considered an excellent example of a spotlight violant sociopath, i.e. a sociopath who wants to be the centre of attention and also a sociopath who loves violance.

captia: live free, <.<
beacuase I go the first one wrong somehow, seond captia: Karma points
In any case, prison model isn't helping anyone's mental health.

Also fun fact: your boss has sociopathic tendencies. So do politicians. It helps them get the job, and makes them want more power. (note, it's more like "they're more likely to have" than "has", but the first way sounds better)

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
marioandsonic said:
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
marioandsonic said:
Charles Manson claims he was inspired by a Beatles song.

Mark David Chapman, the guy who murdered John Lennon, was seen reading The Catcher in the Rye next to Lennon's body when the authorities came.

John Hinkley Jr. tried to assassinate then-US president Ronald Reagan because he was trying to impress actress Jodie Foster.
The thing is, none of these things depict wanton violence as something "cool" or "appealing" to do. Can you tell me which Beatles song advocates murdering people? Did Jodie Foster ever issue a statement that she really wanted Hinkley to kill Reagan for her? I don't believe so. Compare that to games like inFamous or Grand Theft Auto where is actively encouraged and rewarded, and I hope you see my reasons for thinking that your comparison doesn't hold up.
I see what you're saying, sure. But here's my counterpoint:

If you look at crime numbers across the country, (seen here: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm ) violent crime rates have been slowly but steadily going down across since the early 1990s.

But if games like inFamous or Grand Theft Auto are really sending the message that "violence is cool", shouldn't violent crime rates be going up?
Well why you can say that it's been going down, what about the under age crime going up, We never saw things like this happening to school age children on a yearly basics like we do now. it could be just the media reporting more tho.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Actually (to my knowledge) there really isn't much lore at all about Slenderman. The details are pretty general in nature. He's supposed to be a mysterious entity that chooses victims seemingly at random to stalk and torment them with visions and nightmares until they go completely insane. He then captures them and drags them off to the woods. What happens from there varies, some are just never seen again, some are eaten and the whole "stalk and torment" thing is apparently Slenderman's way of preparing them to be a meal, and with others he ends up disemboweling them and leaving their innards in sacks hanging from trees. That's...pretty much all there is to the original notion of Slenderman. Certainly nothing about becoming one of his servants by committing human sacrifice. But if one of the girls actually believed that she was being stalked by the creature and had to commit this murder or the Slenderman would kill her family, that just goes towards my notion of "can't separate fantasy from reality".
You are right if you go by the original version of Slenderman lore. But since they expanded it with community contributions and with things like Marble hornets. He does have proxies and methods like the girls described. And then there is even greater surrounding and overarching lore, something about him trying to find an Ark and a war between 2 factions, other which Slenderman is part of.

There is no "official" lore/continuity about it tho. People use the best creepypasta they find as sources. But you can imagine since it is a community build, there is very little coherent "plot" going.

But the fact is that these girls had mental health issues. Something that could possibly been spotted by someone talking to them and looking after their behavior.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Jupiter065 said:
Only in America would the thought "these young girls thought a fictional character was real" be followed by the though "lets try them as adults".

Kudos to the Escapist for not publishing the girls names, so many other rags seem to think it's ok to violate the privacy of children just because they're allowed to.
I think you give up your right to things like privacy and kind treatment if you stab your friend in order to kill them. Even at the age of 12 you have to be pretty fucked up and evil to do that to a friend. 12 year olds can tell right from wrong they are school students for fucks sake, its not as if they will have never been told violence is wrong.

I never even hit any of my friends when I was a kid. Sure I did got into fights with other kids but never with the intent to seriously injure them. Most normal people can make it through childhood without pre-meditated murder. If I had kids or say my little brother did this I would want them to be locked up. These little freaks need to be locked up for a long time. I think 65 years is harsh but this sort of thing cannot stand.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
verdant monkai said:
Jupiter065 said:
Only in America would the thought "these young girls thought a fictional character was real" be followed by the though "lets try them as adults".

Kudos to the Escapist for not publishing the girls names, so many other rags seem to think it's ok to violate the privacy of children just because they're allowed to.
I think you give up your right to things like privacy and kind treatment if you stab your friend in order to kill them. Even at the age of 12 you have to be pretty fucked up and evil to do that to a friend. 12 year olds can tell right from wrong they are school students for fucks sake, its not as if they will have never been told violence is wrong.

I never even hit any of my friends when I was a kid. Sure I did got into fights with other kids but never with the intent to seriously injure them. Most normal people can make it through childhood without pre-meditated murder. If I had kids or say my little brother did this I would want them to be locked up. These little freaks need to be locked up for a long time. I think 65 years is harsh but this sort of thing cannot stand.
Eh still you don't really want to go around posting their information publicly cause you can have people that may think it's some form of justice to go and potential do something to them. Don't need a mob of people doing anything for what they think is justice's sake.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Sounds like they deserve prison time and to be banned from reproducing so we can keep that kind of contamination out of the gene pool.

How fucking stupid can someone get, really?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
webkilla said:
They (the parents) allowed 11 to 12yr olds unsupervised access to the internet - and clearly unsupervised access to an internet browser that had no child-safety restrictions on - because I can't imagine any digi-nanny program letting kids near stuff with Slenderman or creepypasta
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing. But seriously, they were 11/12. And it's slenderman. I'd understand if the kids had access to Cannibal Holocaust or something, or if they were a couple years younger. Slenderman though? He's just a modern take on old-school ghost stories.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Crazy is as crazy does.
It really is that simple.

Also, to those in the comments. Please stop trying to demonize groups that you dislike. Especially in completely unrelated topics. The only people you make look bad are yourselves.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I don't normally do this kind of thing, but I feel obliged this time out.

I didn't put the girls' names in the story not because I felt any kindness towards them. Under the circumstances that would be ridiculous. However I was mindful of their age, and personally felt uncomfortable classifying them as adults, though I can understand why they are being charged as such.

That said, my main reason for not naming them was out of respect for their parents and family, who must be going though unimaginable agony right now. I don't want to think about how I'd feel if someone in my family did anything like that, or how utterly appalling it would be to see it repeated again and again on the news.

I suppose I'd feel differently about it if I genuinely believed they were adults, rather than just being charged as adults. Still, that was why.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
Karloff said:
"The bad part of me wanted her to die, the good part of me wanted her to live," one of the girls allege.

Two teenage girls from Wisconsin claim they stabbed a friend 19 times on May 31st in order to please the fictional horror icon Slenderman. According to their statement the crime had been planned for months, and the two hoped to become Slenderman proxies, or helpers, as a result. The two struggled to decide who would carry out the deed, and according to detectives expressed some regret for what they had done.

"The bad part of me wanted her to die, the good part of me wanted her to live," said one, as they described what took place. They decided to kill her at a local park [http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/12-year-wisconsin-girls-stab-friend-19-times-23959855], in one of the bathrooms so the blood would go down the drain, but when the moment arrived neither could bring themselves to stab their friend. The actual attack took place some time later, out in the woods; one held the victim down, and both stabbed her and left her to die.

The two would-be proxies became aware of Slenderman through the Creepypasta wiki. According to the statement of one of the attackers [http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/waukesha-police-2-12-year-old-girls-plotted-for-months-to-kill-friend-b99282655z1-261534171.html], they hoped that by becoming proxies they would show that Slenderman really existed. The other attacker seems to have believed that, if they didn't go through with it, "he" - presumably Slenderman - would kill her family.
The more I read this, the more I see that they simply used Slenderman as a scapegoat to try and escape the harsh severity of their crime by making it out to be something akin to the usual "Video games are the reason why these two are fucked up" scenario that most social media outlets depict. They're crazy, I will agree with that, but they're deflecting most of the blame from not themselves, but onto something else. I cannot believe that they would expect that someone would take what they're saying seriously. It's stupid, and they're idiots for trying to pretend that it will work. It's premeditated, and they tried to kill her not for Slenderman, but because they wanted to. Maybe the main female who actually thought it out more thoroughly was the one who manipulated the other, but in the end, it still concludes that people like these two seriously need to be locked up for the safety and sake of others.

After all... Charles Manson thought that the Beatles were sending a message through their song "Helter Skelter" and decided to go on a murder spree with brainwashed followers to help start a Holocaust.

In both cases, they hid themselves under the idea that they did it to appease something else in order to deflect some of the severity of their crimes. I just see this as the start of something much worse if they begin to believe that they can simply attack someone and cry out "It's not our fault, we did it to please [insert fictional entity here]" and expect to get a slap on the wrist because they're "crazy" and "don't know what they're doing".

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Well... here I was enjoying my driving story time (to keep me awake at night)... and this had to happened.... great... :(

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
It's times like these that I understand where the NRA and other organisations with similar stances are coming from when they claim that works of fiction which romanticize wanton violence on innocent people may be the problem. I mean, that Elliot Rodger guy who went on a shooting rampage a while ago supposedly adored Game of Thrones and Hannibal, and we shouldn't forget about that guy who shot up that movie theater while claiming to be The Joker.

Some will say that these are all isolated incidents; but to me it looks like a pattern is starting to take shape, and that greatly disturbs me.
you mean romanticized violence works like fairytales? or the even older myths? you know that this existed since humans could tell a story? and we havent gone extinct?
yes, i also see a pattern here. the parttern shouts - poor mental health care.

marioandsonic said:
If you look at crime numbers across the country, (seen here: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm ) violent crime rates have been slowly but steadily going down across since the early 1990s.

But if games like inFamous or Grand Theft Auto are really sending the message that "violence is cool", shouldn't violent crime rates be going up?
Ironically, violent videogames sales and crime rate decrease correlate so well even FBI admit its a possible cause for a decrease (they released a statement couple years back which said that among other factors videogames could be responsible for lower crime rate as the potential criminals are busy playing games instead of being bored on the street and commiting crimes).

nuba km said:
sociopathy is the complete lack of sympothy, high ego, nerves of steel and normally very high intellegance and charm, though only the first three are required for diagnosis of sociopathy
damn, no nerves of stee or charm here, i fail this test :(

Eve Charm said:
Well why you can say that it's been going down, what about the under age crime going up, We never saw things like this happening to school age children on a yearly basics like we do now. it could be just the media reporting more tho.
Ill use same coutnerargument i used against somone who claimed that there were no crimes in small cities in the past.
Yes there were, you just didnt knew about it. There is many more venues of information now than before. 50 years ago you wouldnt get the news from the next town over most of the time, now you get news from across the world in almost real time. with more news there is also more cirminal news, obviuosly. also the media seems to weer towards subjects that give them clicks, and murder gives them clicks.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
This kind of reminds me of the plot of Scream 2. These girls just wanted to kill someone so they did and then blame it on an internet meme. Ingenious, really. How can you argue against "Slenderman made me do it!" as an insanity plea?

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
These chicks are obviously bad-shit crazy and my emotional side wants to see them punished harshly, but...

I've never understood why there's a (logical, good) distinction between adult and minor when you can try a kid as an adult anyway.

Let's say you lock those girls up for 25 years - at 39 the women will bear no resemblance to the girls of today.

Teenagers are dumb. Yes, I know, when you're 16 you don't believe it. But trust me, when you're 30 you'll look back and think "What an idiot was I?"

When you put'em in juvie for 5 years it will be punishment enough.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
GamerMage said:
FalloutJack said:
GamerMage said:
I agree, it'd be as crazy as following Pastafarianism. Which I am sure I misspelled.
Ah well, the Pastafarians are a kind and gentle folk, big lovers of ironic humor and poking fun at Scientology. They're alright.
Ah, good. Unlike the crazy girls in THIS story, I'm sure.
Mein gott, no kidding. They're cuckoo-bananas and other fine metaphors. I mean, what's a Pastafarian gonna do, even if he's not aware the religion's one giant funny? Serve you a plate of spaghetti? Even the most-deluded around a harmless spectacle won't go Norman Bates.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
RubyT said:
These chicks are obviously bad-shit crazy and my emotional side wants to see them punished harshly, but...

I've never understood why there's a (logical, good) distinction between adult and minor when you can try a kid as an adult anyway.

Let's say you lock those girls up for 25 years - at 39 the women will bear no resemblance to the girls of today.

Teenagers are dumb. Yes, I know, when you're 16 you don't believe it. But trust me, when you're 30 you'll look back and think "What an idiot was I?"

When you put'em in juvie for 5 years it will be punishment enough.
The problem is that they tried to kill their "friend" by stabbing her nineteen times. Stabbing in it's own right is an intimate affair, guns are easy and simple, one shot, you don't even have to look them in the eye. A stab afflicts a lot of sensations upon both the one holding the blade and the one being stabbed.

You don't stab someone just because a fictional entity tells you to do it. Either they hated her, she did something to incur enough wrath to make them hate her. Nineteen times, and it's premeditated to boot.

They may be teenagers, and they may have hormones to affect matters, but that doesn't excuse murder. Trying to kill anyone regardless of the age is still a crime. They should have known better, if they're capable of doing that then honestly, they deserve to be locked up for as long as they need to be.

They should be locked away for life for that, because anything less is a disservice for the girl they attempted to kill, and the family of the girl that has to hear that half-assed excuse that came out of their mouth.

Oh, and here's a better hint as to the mindset they had which doesn't seem to fixate on Slenderman so much as one of them wanted to kill her.

On Saturday morning, after having a sleepover with their victim, [redacted] and [redacted] stashed away a kitchen knife and lured her into the woods by telling her they would go birdwatching and play hide and seek.

"People that trust you are very gullible," [redacted] told a detective. They passed by a public bathroom and some trees, and then, "Stabby, stab, stab," [redacted] said.

But as online fantasy shifted into the real word and [redacted] heard her victim's screams, she wavered, the complaint said. "I hate you!" the victim screamed. "I trusted you!"

"The bad part of me wanted her to die," [redacted] told the detective. "The good part of me wanted her to live."

[redacted] was not so conflicted: "It was weird that I didn't feel remorse," she told a detective, the complaint said. She later added that it was "probably wrong."
To be polite to the two girls that did this heinous crime, I did remove their names. If you want to read the page that I took it from, here's the link.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4560116-girl-stabbed-19-times-in-slender-man-murder-plot-is-up-and-walking/