Witcher 2 Probably Getting Two Disc Treatment on Xbox 360

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Witcher 2 Probably Getting Two Disc Treatment on Xbox 360

It seems the The Witcher 2 is too full of monsters and mayhem to fit on a single DVD.

The Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYT0E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317040882&sr=8-3 ] will probably be shipping on a pair of discs. While nothing has been announced officially, speaking at the Eurogamer Expo over the weekend, CD Projekt's Jan Krzysztof Bielecki basically admitted that the game would ship on multiple discs.

"It's going to be more than one," Bielecki said," and it cannot be three, so ... yeah, it's going to be two discs." The Xbox 360 version of the game will include all the updates and extra content adding to the game since its launch earlier this year, up to and including the new 2.0 version. It seems unlikely that there will be much disc-swapping involved; even with the extra content, The Witcher 2 is structured in a way that would seem to require only a single disc change at the halfway mark.

As someone who has always thought that The Witcher games would work really well on a console, it's great to see one finally making the transition. Hopefully, shipping on multiple discs will mean that console players get an experience as close to the PC version as possible, without CD Projekt having to cut any corners.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings comes out for Xbox 360 early next year.

Source: Beef Jack [http://beefjack.com/news/the-witcher-2-xbox-360-to-require-two-discs/] via GamePro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/223369/the-witcher-2-360-to-ship-on-two-discs]

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Hopefully, shipping on multiple discs will mean that console players get an experience as close to the PC version as possible, without CD Projekt having to cut any corners.
I thought they had already solved that issue by simplifying it on the PC first. This game seemed to play like a multi format game that just had not gone multi format yet... /hides behind flame shield/

Also please explain how this game does fall foul of Microsoft's fatwa against any game that does not come out on the 360 first or at least at the same time....

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Yes I am very excited for this game, whether it go on sale on Steam first or come out on Xbox, I have a mental block about buying games on Steam unless they are on sale so yeah.

Also I always thought it could work on the Xbox, I don't see why not, you haven't got like 15 different attacks or anything, it's only weak and strong attack.

Oh boy oh boy!

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Hopefully, shipping on multiple discs will mean that console players get an experience as close to the PC version as possible, without CD Projekt having to cut any corners.
I thought they had already solved that issue by simplifying it on the PC first. This game seemed to play like a multi format game that just had not gone multi format yet... /hides behind flame shield/

Also please explain how this game does fall foul of Microsoft's fatwa against any game that does not come out on the 360 first or at least at the same time....
Because Windows is from Microsoft too...

Also, the game is incredibly detailed and entrenched in processing complexity. No console could render the same quality, so they prolly dumbed down the general physics of the game(grass, texture rendering, general shading, etc..

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
That was against games appearing on the PS3 with different content to the Xbox version.

Windows is also Microsoft so they DID get the game before Sony ..... twice.

Means my son will be able to play it now. We only have 2 PC's that could play Witcher 2 and thats mine and my wifes and the kids don't touch our PC's.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Great to see some news about this! I was starting to get a worried that news of the console version had died down. Good to see it's still on track!

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Wow.... so let me get this straight. We will have Witcher 2, Kingdoms of Amalur, AND Mass Effect 3 all in the first quarter of next year, while we are still playing Skyrim? That is a full plate. :D

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
""It's going to be more than one," Bielecki said," and it cannot be three, so ... yeah, it's going to be two discs.""

Urhhhhh, what kind of talk is that?
Is it that hard to say "It's going to be on two discs."?

Sep 14, 2009
sweet, when i plugged in my 360 controller into my pc the game got infinitely easier to control, so i can see this working on the 360 well, although i don't know how pretty it will look comparatively..

Apr 28, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

Because Witcher 2 is adding goodies for the 360 version, to comply with Microsoft's demands of games coming out on the system later than others must have special content just for the 360

Of course CD Projekt Red is being really cheeky with it though, the one new thing announced so far is a CGI cutscene.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I enjoyed Witcher 2. Hopefully bringing this game over to the 360 substantially increases its sales. CD projekt is a pretty cool company seeing as they aren't afraid to avoid censorship, removed DRM, support PC platform, free DLC etc. I want to see them succeed.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This doesn't surprise me. I do believe the DVDs the 360 uses hold around 8-9GB and The Witcher 2 took up about 15GB on my PC.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I never understood the issue with multiple discs.. unless it's done in a terribly stupid way (I'm looking at you, Star Ocean 4). Not sure if I'll be getting this on day 1 or not, but I'll definitely be getting it.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Two discs? No problem. I'll still get it at some point. Maybe on Day 1, though it's rather unlikely. (Poor student over here.)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I never got why people have so much trouble with multiple discs? Maybe it's cuz I grew up that way, there was a time where most big games came on several discs.
Also, excited for Witcher 2 for consoles, as I don't have a high end PC, but I'd still like it better for PS3. Is that coming maybe?