Witcher 2 Trailer Surfaces on YouTube

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Witcher 2 Trailer Surfaces on YouTube

An "internal" trailer for The Witcher 2 has turned up on YouTube and CD Projekt Red, the company behind the game, says it's legit.

Subtitled Assassins of Kings, the video shows off some of the changes to The Witcher [http://www.thewitcher.com/], the hit 2007 boobs-and-beasts RPG, that will appear in the sequel, including an overhauled dialog system, improved combat with an expanded arsenal of offensive maneuvers and a wide range of technological upgrades and visual enhancements that will result in "some of the most realistic environments ever in the history of RPGs." It's a little rough around the edges, an effect not helped by the placeholder voices, but from a visual standpoint at least there's no denying that The Witcher 2 is looking pretty good.

As for how an internal video for an alpha version of the game got out in the first place, CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kicinski released a statement earlier today saying it's just one of those things.

"Of course, we can't and won't try to deny the facts. The movie that appeared on the various sites yesterday presents our newest project, The Witcher 2, which we've been working on for some time. We made something about half year ago, to present the first playable version of the game." he said. "Currently we are looking for a potential publisher (or publishers) for this title, and this leak is an uncontrolled side effect of that process. For today, we are not commenting on anything that concerns the game itself."

It's way, way too early to make any judgments about The Witcher 2 based on what's in this video. From a fan's perspective, though, it's not too early to be happy that more Witcher is on the way.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374489]

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
That's looks awesome, another RPG Game of the Year.

I like how (from what I can tell) it seems to be continuing on from the 1st game, and addressing some of the many questions raised by the final cut-scene with the mysterious Witcher/Assassin.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats really cool. I never played the first Witcher, because my computer can't run it, but I heard that it was really good.

I'm still disappointed that they canceled the console version though. :[

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
I never got to play the first one, by the time they'd got the bug-free version done I was in Uni and without a good enough PC to play it on. I'm hoping they release a console version for this next one though, it looks awesome.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The game is two years old, it doesn't take much of a PC to run it these days. And believe me, it's worth it.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Saw the first. Haven't played it but I could tell from the engine that I probably wouldn't like it very much.

Saw this trailer. Haven't played it but I can tell from the engine that it is very likely that it will like this game. MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that force push thingamajigger looked sweet!!!!!!

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Why does no one ever stereo-position character voices? I find it really jarring where characters sound like they're somewhere and they arn't.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
The game is two years old, it doesn't take much of a PC to run it these days. And believe me, it's worth it.
Yeah, but in the video they it kind of looked like it was lagging a bit when The Witcher was overlooking that burning encampment (guess the developers don't even have the pc capable of running it to the fullest :p)

Still, its obvious enough its gonna be one of the nicest looking video games (if your pc can run it to the fullest). I like the details and dynamic environments...but the voice acting...I don't know. Maybe because the development team is foreign, they didn't much care for who they picked to dub it in English...

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
hansari said:
Malygris said:
Yeah, but in the video they it kind of looked like it was lagging a bit when The Witcher was overlooking that burning encampment (guess the developers don't even have the pc capable of running it to the fullest :p)

Still, its obvious enough its gonna be one of the nicest looking video games (if your pc can run it to the fullest). I like the details and dynamic environments...but the voice acting...I don't know. Maybe because the development team is foreign, they didn't much care for who they picked to dub it in English...
They won't properly dub a half finished game man... It's too early to even consider judging the voice acting.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I loved the Witcher. The load times are a bit long and it's gets a little skippy, but i think it's one of the best RPGs since KOTOR.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
LockHeart said:
I never got to play the first one, by the time they'd got the bug-free version done I was in Uni and without a good enough PC to play it on. I'm hoping they release a console version for this next one though, it looks awesome.
This...

Now watch it be PS3 to mock me. XD

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
hansari said:

It's an alpha build so presumably it's completely unoptimized at this point. I'm sure you'll see the performance upgraded considerably in the final product.

As for the voices, as I said in the post, they're placeholders. (Do you guys actually read these things?) No way those are the final voices. In fact, the english voice work for the final version will almost certainly be done elsewhere; for the original Witcher, it was handled by Outsource Media in the UK, and it was really quite good.

Seriously, The Witcher is one of the best RPGs to come along in years. If you're a fan of the genre, you really need to play it.

DarkGargoyle

Nov 18, 2009
Did he just say "Quick time events will be yet another innovation"? excuse me while I laugh myself to death.