Witcher 3 announces 2 (paid) Expansion Packs before release of main game

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
I'll pay for full expansions without complaint. I'm cool with CDPR's free DLC approach, so I have no complaints there, either. I DO see how this could be monetized to ridiculousness, but I'll wait to complain until I see CDPR pull an EA/Ubi.

AntiChri5 said:
What is the difference between DLC and an Expansion?

Latest DLC for Inquisition takes more then 10 hours to complete. No one is calling it an expansion though, just "DLC".
Technically, if a DLC takes that long to complete, I'd call that an actual expansion (or near enough to one). The difference is primarily one of content. Most DLC adds a new outfit, a couple of new "special" (read: probably overpowered) weapons, and/or one or two hours of additional gameplay. Maybe a new character or two. Expansion packs have a lot more in them, but aren't really perceived as "cost-effective" for developers. Let me explain:

The average DLC adds one or more of the above, but since it adds only one or two hours of gameplay, players want more. The developers know this, so, they'll add another DLC. And another. And another. Eventually, a game ends up with several DLC content packs as a result. All of that DLC content could technically be packed together into one big Expansion Pack to increase the value (and create said Expansion Pack in the process), but they don't. The reason is the Expansion Pack will likely go for $30, but the broken up multi-DLC model allows the developer to sell each content pack for anywhere between $0.99-$19.99 (yes, I've seen $20 DLC before, in case anyone wants to argue with me over it). The most common price point I've seen for DLC is around $8. Not a bad price, but when you consider that a good, proper Expansion would cost $30 and give you 10-20 hours of gameplay, and a game with 8 DLC at $8 a pop giving you the same amount of gameplay for upwards of $60, then you start to realize why Expansion Packs have mostly gone the way of the dinosaur. Ultimately, the DLC method is really a method to do the casual social game monetization in a more hardcore video game.

Seriously. Go look through a few games on Steam that have DLC. Check out how many DLCs exist for some of them, as well as the price point for some of them. In a lot of cases you end up with more than 10 DLCs for a single game, and some of those DLCs are asking Expansion Pack prices for these DLCs. In many cases, they aren't offering anything better than the average DLC pack. By the time the Completionists have bought everything for a game, they've already paid for a game three times over.

Don't get me wrong. I've bought and played DLC myself. I enjoy DLC that's good. But, some of this is clearly a nickel-and-dime sort of thing that would be better repurposed as Expansion Pack material to add value to the Expansion Pack.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm quite fine with this. It makes sense to add more to a large game after its release, and the fact that the first expansion will be released months after the full game indicates it isn't some cut content, or whatever. Of course they'll already have some ideas and maybe even the foundations of the expansions planned, and that's cool. Unlike most DLC practices, I can't find much to fault here really.

Can't say I'm too crash hot on the concept of expansion passes though. Ehh, I'll just pay for them separately once they arrive.

HeadClot88

Apr 8, 2015
So - I am happy that CD Projekt Red is giving us paid expansions that deserve the term "Expansion Pack". An additional 30 Hrs of gameplay yes please. :)

That said cannot wait for Cyberpunk 2027.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
People were losing their shit over this the moment it was announced, doomsaying left and right.

I'm 100% okay with this. There's nothing wrong with planning expansion packs before the main game is out. It looks like these are also actual expansion packs, rather than DLC. There's also nothing wrong with the concept of a season pass, people are just wary of this sort of thing after it's been abused by cash-grabbing publishers for years.

Long story short, I trust CD Projekt Red. In my opinion, this announcement of future plans does not smell of the standard industry bad-practices that many people are worried about.