With Spoilers, Discuss the Avengers

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
WolfThomas said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
its an experiment in public goodwill: probably best to leave the alcoholic, sadistic wife-beater out of the mix a spell.
Except Hank Pym isn't any of those (okay in Ultimates he is).

Pym hit his wife (a powerful metahuman) and once and only once on a background of several mental breakdown (the whole Yellow Jacket/Hank Pym split personality thing). He has gone on to atone for it several times (writers seem to forget the previous times and put him back in the wrong).
and a LOT of the movie stuff comes from Ultimate universe...
its like, half ultimate and half 616.
sixoneimate

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I absolutely LOVED the movie. As everyone's said before, they nailed everything from the group dynamics to the action to the wrapping up of five movies worth of build up. Admittedly it would've been nice to see Edward Norton playing Bruce Banner (mostly for the added...*pop* of continuity it would have brought) but Mark Ruffalo absolutely owned the role, and dare I say was more fitting than Mr Norton.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Djinn8 said:
[I think this was a problem of the script being weak. When Loki brainwashed a bunch of people he did it just by touching them with his staff. He's the god of tricks. That should have been done through deception and had the audience screaming at the screen for the heros to see the error of their ways. That would have taken some actual writing though, which wasn't the objective of the film. Instead we got the whole "a wizard did it" thing. They tried to explore this properly in the jail scene with Scarlett Johansson, but why with her? Why not with the Hulk since that was supposed to be Loki's plan. It would have made no difference to the plot if they changed them around except make it better because they wouldn't have had to rely on the stupid deus ex staff. But no, the writers wanted to show the heros all arguing to emphisise that the team was fractured, even though they were back together the very next scene.

It's also worth noting how much of a none entity the villans of the film were. I mean we have a wizard who's no match for any of the heros physically and never displays anything but a meger adeptness for magic or stratergy, and then pair him with a race of faceless mooks from an alien race who we are never told anything about. Jeeze, wonder who's going to win?
I agree with most of your responses except this one. The staff Loki carries is not just the Deus Ex "wizard staff..." did you really look at it? Big blue gem at one end... takes control of peoples MINDS... The Other sent him and the "mooks" army...

That gem will be very important in future Marvel movies. And the "mook" army was the Chitauri (don't know on the spelling.) This is from the Marvel "Ultimates" universe. And since in the Ultimates the Chitauri say they've been called "Skrulls" and the effects for the Avengers movie was mo-cap actors cgi-ed in post production I took it to mean "we called them Chitauri instead of Skrulls because some other studio still has rights to skrulls (sony or fox depending on whether it's with Spiderman or the X-Men.) And like the Infinity Gems (oops, gave it away) the Skrulls are a big part of future stories for Marvel.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
Djinn8 said:
[I think this was a problem of the script being weak. When Loki brainwashed a bunch of people he did it just by touching them with his staff. He's the god of tricks. That should have been done through deception and had the audience screaming at the screen for the heros to see the error of their ways. That would have taken some actual writing though, which wasn't the objective of the film. Instead we got the whole "a wizard did it" thing. They tried to explore this properly in the jail scene with Scarlett Johansson, but why with her? Why not with the Hulk since that was supposed to be Loki's plan. It would have made no difference to the plot if they changed them around except make it better because they wouldn't have had to rely on the stupid deus ex staff. But no, the writers wanted to show the heros all arguing to emphisise that the team was fractured, even though they were back together the very next scene.

It's also worth noting how much of a none entity the villans of the film were. I mean we have a wizard who's no match for any of the heros physically and never displays anything but a meger adeptness for magic or stratergy, and then pair him with a race of faceless mooks from an alien race who we are never told anything about. Jeeze, wonder who's going to win?
I agree with most of your responses except this one. The staff Loki carries is not just the Deus Ex "wizard staff..." did you really look at it? Big blue gem at one end... takes control of peoples MINDS... The Other sent him and the "mooks" army...

That gem will be very important in future Marvel movies. And the "mook" army was the Chitauri (don't know on the spelling.) This is from the Marvel "Ultimates" universe. And since in the Ultimates the Chitauri say they've been called "Skrulls" and the effects for the Avengers movie was mo-cap actors cgi-ed in post production I took it to mean "we called them Chitauri instead of Skrulls because some other studio still has rights to skrulls (sony or fox depending on whether it's with Spiderman or the X-Men.) And like the Infinity Gems (oops, gave it away) the Skrulls are a big part of future stories for Marvel.
I don't think it's fair for the film to assume that the audience knows what these gems are, and besides until the credits scene (which wasn't even shown in all countries), there is no explanation for what they are other than a part of Loki's magic staff. The same applies to the Chitauri. Just because they have already been expalined in another medium does not mean that explanation can be ingnored in the next. You could argue that this was a film made for fans, but even then that sort of glossing-over should be left for easter eggs. Central plot elements need some explanation.

Regardless, it still doesn't change the fact that Loki was weak-sauce. Look at Stark and Loki's encounter in the tower. The weakest member of the team take his armour off and starts laying on the snark. It was like the only way they could think to make Loki a threat was by having the heros tie their hands behind their back to give him a fair chance.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Is it odd when Loki are and Thor are on screen together I compare the 2 and think Loki is cuter?
maybe im the type of girl who likes a project.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
spartandude said:
Robert Ewing said:
I was gutted when Coulson died.

And the avengers reminded me about how much I thought Spiderman was missing from the team... Poor spidey. Where was he when Loki's army was invading!?
a better question is where were the Xmen

speaking of spiderman i heard a rumour that they may be weaving him in to the shared universe aswell. makes sense as they can then put him in for future avenger films and even if there arnt any its still lore wank for the fans
both Spidey and x-men are owned by 2 separate movie producers, if they show up even in cameo form in the avengers it will be the most cooperate finagling ever seen to date.

capatcha: free rent for a year (i wish)

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Larmo said:
spartandude said:
Robert Ewing said:

And the avengers reminded me about how much I thought Spiderman was missing from the team... Poor spidey. Where was he when Loki's army was invading!?

speaking of spiderman i heard a rumour that they may be weaving him in to the shared universe aswell. makes sense as they can then put him in for future avenger films and even if there arnt any its still lore wank for the fans
both Spidey and x-men are owned by 2 separate movie producers, it they show up even in cameo form in the avengers it will be the most cooperate finagling ever seen to date.

If who framed Roger Rabbit was possible anything is...

Cobbs

Aug 16, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Did ANY theater not explode in uproarious laughter and applause when Loki's big verbal lashing of the INCREDIBLE FREAKING HULK ended quite badly for him? I thought so. That kind of scene isn't exactly uncommon, but it was just amazingly well done. I didn't hear what Hulk said to Loki afterward I was laughing so hard!

That, plus Hulk's casual punching of Thor right after they just took a leviathan down makes me declare Hulk to be the funniest character in the whole movie. Followed closely by Tony.

Also this:

Thor: Be careful how you speak of Loki! He is of Asgard and he is my brother!!
Black Widow: He killed 80 people in 2 days.
Thor: ... He's adopted.
I've never seen a single Joss Whedon work before this movie, so I always wondered why people go nuts over him. Now I know. Is ALL of his stuff like this? I may have to check them out if they are!
I believe Hulk says "Puny God"
And that whole movie was fantastic!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Robert Ewing said:

Two reasons:

Reason 1: Marvel Studios don't own the movie rights to Spider-man.
Reason 2: This is the biggest reason of them all; Spider-man is historically not an Avenger, and didn't join the avengers until New Avengers in 2005.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Larmo said:
Is it odd when Loki are and Thor are on screen together I compare the 2 and think Loki is cuter?
maybe im the type of girl who likes a project.
Loki is way more attractive than Thor. I'd let him subjugate me any day.

OT: To begin with, Nick Fury is such a jerk. He put blood on those Captain America cards to guilt the avengers into working together. Wasn't he listening?! They were mostly in mint condition! As if he couldn't have pulled it off the same guilt trip without ruining perfectly good trading cards. That really annoyed me for some reason.

Other than that, I wasn't a fan of the Hulk-related slapstick humour. His punching Thor and flinging Loki around didn't really do it for me. I'm amazed that people were supposedly in hysterics over those scenes. Which brings me to my next issue. It never felt like Loki and his minions were actually a threat. I mean, a trickster god and a bunch of nobody aliens against a team of superheroes and the god of thunder? I feel it would have been slightly improved if they had at least made a pretense at some real conflict. I thought the movie in all was rather mediocre and quite forgetable.

Oh! Last thing. Was anyone else a bit confused when Thor and Loki were fighting and the camera did an extreme close up so that all you could see were their elbows jostling for a solid minute? It also went all shaky, as if we were seeing from the point of view of someone whose head was lodged in Thor's armpit. I just found that really strange.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
Larmo said:
spartandude said:
Robert Ewing said:

both Spidey and x-men are owned by 2 separate movie producers, it they show up even in cameo form in the avengers it will be the most cooperate finagling ever seen to date.

If who framed Roger Rabbit was possible anything is...
Yes a girl can dream, like how I thought that Avenges was a pipe dream in the first place.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
It was pretty good. My biggest issue was that I feel Loki was portrayed a bit too pathetically and wasn?t really using his abilities or strengths. He could and should have been threatening but he wasn't. I never really got the sense that he was a huge threat or that the Avengers teaming up to fight him was necessary despite the mind control and the aliens. He seemed to spend most of the movie being mocked and/or getting his ass handed to him.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Jack the Potato said:
I've never seen a single Joss Whedon work before this movie, so I always wondered why people go nuts over him. Now I know. Is ALL of his stuff like this? I may have to check them out if they are!
Sir, if you haven't seen Joss Whedens greatest work then you have been living in a sad grey world.
Here is a list of my favorite Joss Whedon stuff:
1. Firefly (Like Sci-fi? then See it. period. End of discussion).
2. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (Like superheroes and humor? See it or Bad Horse will make you his mare.)
3. Buffy The vampire slayer (NOT THE GOD AWFUL MOVIE!! If you like supernatural/horror genre and love intricate and different mythology. See The TV show. It has a few weak seasons and episodes, but seasons 5/6/7 had some serious works of art.

Also, Remember the hulk's face after he woke Stark up by roaring at him at the end? that was awesome. He seemed so pleased with himself. HULK WAKE DEAD WITH VOICE!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
launchpadmcqwak said:
the only disappointment was that Ed Norton wasnt in it...
I guess he's a real jerkass and a pain to work with on set. So they replaced him with someone who wouldn't try to take control of things he didn't need to

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
I jumped to the edge of my seat when I saw Thanos. I can die a happy man if I get to see him portrayed on screen (at least hopefully the way that I would enjoy).

Many enjoyable moments, so I'll try not to repeat what people have already said.

Tony's Rant (paraphrased); "The guy is full of himself, he wants people to worship him, he wants to build a goddamned tower in the sky with his name... sonofabitch..."

Hulk shouting at Tony to wake him up.

Captain America barking orders at the cops and them listening to him after he whoops some alien ass.

Too many to recall. Very enjoyable film.

As for the Hulk (who really did steal the show), it was all about aiming the rage.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
RoBi3.0 said:
Smeatza said:
Best Marvel movie I've seen so far. Joss Whedon should be their first point of call for all future projects.
I was getting worried that Stan Lee wasn't going to make his obligatory cameo, but there it was right at the end.
I hope the Deadpool movie will be just as good.

Oh and I left the theatre as soon as the credits started, did anyone bother staying till after the credits and see if there was a "bonus scene" afterward?
Yes the bonus scene outed Thanos as the true leader behind the Cituri invasion. Thanos smiles when he is told that "to attack is earth to court death". Nerdgasim! As We were walking out of the theater more then a few people asked (referring to Thanos) "was that hell boy" I facepalmed.
You missed the best after the credits scene then! There was another at the VERY end. Tony Stark was serious about getting shawarma afterwards. The very last scene is them all eating shawarma at the restaurant after it's all done XD
I know I missed it, but was told a head of time the very last one was not that important. I had to piss like a ************ there was no way in hell I was going to able to set thought the whole credits. As it was I almost relieved myself in a trashcan cause I couldn't find the bathroom in the theater, apparently the architect thought it would be real LOL to hide them.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i thought the movie was really well done, but i just felt that loki was completely emasculated by pretty much everyone. he was basically comedic relief.

as such he just didn't cut it as the antagonist. let's be serious, he is a god after all. let's see him do something to indicate that he is a force to be reckoned with.

he just seemed weaker than everyone.