Wizards of the Coast has revealed MtG's first trans character

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
the December King said:
While I have no opinion of the gender of any of the characters, I would think a real Khan, in the end, would have seen that that nameless orc already had a name, and was the truly great fighter. She is the selfish one, while he fought FOR the tribe...

But maybe I don't get the lore.

Also, is this a story about a 16 year old human(boy OR girl), leading hulking orcs? Into a battle against dragons? Guh, I'm tired of tiny opponents being able to defeat truly awesome foes... my suspension of disbelief only goes so far in such a scenario.

Again, maybe this lore isn't for me. I've never played Magic, and I turned my back on booked lore for D&D from Wizards early on, then walked away entirely in favor of Pathfinder when I couldn't convert my characters to 4 ed.
19 but I'm inclined to agree with you on that count, however if you've got the chops you've got the chops. I would have preferred if she was maybe 25 or something. Young, but not absurdly so. Plus, you pretty much fight dragons or die. On Tarkir, the dragons are a very real force of nature. They aren't just dangerous animals, they're more like hail or lightning. The clans of Tarkir fight at great expense because they have to to survive. So any surviving warrior at this time is going to be pretty damn good at dealing with dragons, and for the Mardu, that means killing them in battle.

With regards to the war-name thing, it relates back to one of the core edicts of their culture 'Victory or death. When the Mardu go on the attack, they go full tilt. The archetypal image of a Mardu warrior is her riding into battle, leaning forward, standing up in the stirrups, sword out or bow at the ready?demonstrating great agility and riding mastery, but also demonstrating a willingness to sacrifice everything to hit hard and destroy the enemy. The Mardu leave nothing in reserve, preferring to die rather than fail.' War-names are also earned by killing shit, so even though he was being a general cool dude, he probably wouldn't be eligible by Mardu standards.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
FriesWithThat said:
the December King said:
While I have no opinion of the gender of any of the characters, I would think a real Khan, in the end, would have seen that that nameless orc already had a name, and was the truly great fighter. She is the selfish one, while he fought FOR the tribe...

But maybe I don't get the lore.

Also, is this a story about a 16 year old human(boy OR girl), leading hulking orcs? Into a battle against dragons? Guh, I'm tired of tiny opponents being able to defeat truly awesome foes... my suspension of disbelief only goes so far in such a scenario.

Again, maybe this lore isn't for me. I've never played Magic, and I turned my back on booked lore for D&D from Wizards early on, then walked away entirely in favor of Pathfinder when I couldn't convert my characters to 4 ed.
19 but I'm inclined to agree with you on that count, however if you've got the chops you've got the chops. I would have preferred if she was maybe 25 or something. Young, but not absurdly so. With regards to the war-name thing, it relates back to one of the core edicts of their culture 'Victory or death. When the Mardu go on the attack, they go full tilt. The archetypal image of a Mardu warrior is her riding into battle, leaning forward, standing up in the stirrups, sword out or bow at the ready?demonstrating great agility and riding mastery, but also demonstrating a willingness to sacrifice everything to hit hard and destroy the enemy. The Mardu leave nothing in reserve, preferring to die rather than fail.' War-names are also earned by killing shit, so even though he was being a general cool dude, he probably wouldn't be eligible by Mardu standards.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I guess if they throw themselves into battle for the kill, then they wouldn't really stop to consider a support role as worth anything. A shame, really- his efforts might save her life one day- in fact, that was the part of the story I found the weakest- she saved him by pushing him aside and chopping off a dragon's head would have been more impressive the other way round. But that would probably come off as 'damsel in distress needs burly protector' as opposed to 'Mary Sue bad ass is bad ass'.

Still think no mortal should be able to kill a dragon based on martial skill, however. It's just the pedestal I put them on, I guess- I love me some actually dangerous/ appropriately unstoppable monsters.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
First trans character...?

(looks at the Girdle of Gender Changing, which has existed for a *really* long time) Umm...What?

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
Redryhno said:
It was also said that being trans is not badass to them since there's real examples of both (real? normal? there's really no word I know that specifies exactly what I'm trying to say without pissing somebody off here, so I guess I'll have to live with it.) genders being called out for their choices in profession and passion in reality that are against the norm and doing it anyways despite the countless stereotypes and bias in many people's minds.

But of course the only thing anybody cares about is a mild silly statement against trans. You never disappoint in your predictability OT, keep up the good work!
And no one denies that everyone gets shit for breaking norms. But to not-so subtly demean trans people for being cowards or nuts by saying that they're people 'obsessing over gender stereotypes when they are presented with proof that it is nonsense, they decide the proof is wrong and needs to be fixed,' that's a pretty big dick move if I'm honest. Considering being transsexual is having the body of one gender but the psychological traits of the other, I'd imagine that staying as you given that situation would be stressful enough without people demeaning you for it as well.
Redryhno said:
On-Topic:

Ok, so there's a trans character...who cares? Are they going to be as broken as most of the recent Plainswalkers(Everyone knows about Jace of course)or as that one Khan that instantly kills all creatures who block him?
The whole point of me posting this was to highlight this kind of inclusion being done well, i.e. actually adding something to the story, rather than just being token. Also not a planeswalker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=391787), distinctly not broken, kinda like pretty much any planewalker and that Khan that you mentioned which doesn't actually exist. If you think any of those broken you are sorely mistaken.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
TheKasp said:
Redryhno said:
Ok, so there's a trans character...who cares? Are they going to be as broken as most of the recent Plainswalkers(Everyone knows about Jace of course)or as that one Khan that instantly kills all creatures who block him?
It is a 2R mana card, 3/2 with frist strike and an additional ability that seems mildly usefull. Decent value I'd guess.

Well, I ignored other transphobic remarks, that one was just really easy and ripe for the picking. And funny enough, taking 8 replies for a slur to appear is quite mild for R&P and Escapist trends to not be that kind to anything non-cisgendered.
So in other words,yes, it's gonna be a pain in the ass card since Red likes burn and throwing tiny bodies at a problem until it dies is something it has in common with White and Black.

And if you say so in regards to the Escapist, most of what I've seen is that most anti-trans remarks get jumped on pretty fast, just as in this case except there was something else being said and nobody cared about that part, as usual. Which is all I was commenting on.

FriesWithThat said:
I started playing Magic as a kid when Black/White Knight, Ornithopter, and Prodigal Sorc were the first thing you picked up no matter what if you had the corresponding colors in your deck, half the creatures made in the last decade are broken by my standards.

Joseph Hutzulak

May 15, 2014
It really makes sense the Mongol Hordes were very enlightened on their views of sexuality.

The card itself, the three drop spot is incredibly choked as is and this dies hard to courser. Even post rotation Im pretty sure hordling outburst is still better.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Grumman said:
MetalShadowChaos said:
Identifying as Trans has always sounded inherently badass to me anyway. Defying what you've been given because you know if your heart that your true identity lives elsewhere. Then you undergo chemical treatments. You know who else undergoes chemical treatments? Space Marines. I rest my case.
Transsexuals are not badass. Somebody who rejects the importance of gender stereotypes, like a man who is working to be a babysitter without bigots assuming he's doing to because he's a pedophile, or a homosexual of either persuasion who feels the same way about a member of their own sex that heterosexuals do about the other? Sure, I can respect that. But I do not respect somebody who is so obsessed with gender stereotypes that when they are presented with proof that it is nonsense, they decide the proof is wrong and needs to be fixed.
???

I know a bunch of transpeople, and some of them fit into the stereotypes of their sex/gender, some do not.
You know, like cisfolks.
For example, only a small minority of transpeople I know identify as heterosexual.

So, let's take the transwoman I know who grew up surrounded by brothers in a very 'macho'-culture, likes stereotypically 'male' things, is sexually interested in women and doesn't dress in a feminine way...

How is she not rejecting gender stereotypes?

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
Redryhno said:
TheKasp said:
Redryhno said:
It is a 2R mana card, 3/2 with frist strike and an additional ability that seems mildly usefull. Decent value I'd guess.

Well, I ignored other transphobic remarks, that one was just really easy and ripe for the picking. And funny enough, taking 8 replies for a slur to appear is quite mild for R&P and Escapist trends to not be that kind to anything non-cisgendered.
So in other words,yes, it's gonna be a pain in the ass card since Red likes burn and throwing tiny bodies at a problem until it dies is something it has in common with White and Black.

And if you say so in regards to the Escapist, most of what I've seen is that most anti-trans remarks get jumped on pretty fast, just as in this case except there was something else being said and nobody cared about that part, as usual. Which is all I was commenting on.

FriesWithThat said:
I started playing Magic as a kid when Black/White Knight, Ornithopter, and Prodigal Sorc were the first thing you picked up no matter what if you had the corresponding colors in your deck, half the creatures made in the last decade are broken by my standards.
I played Magic a bit during Odyssey so I was dumped in the same boat when I came back in during Return to Ravnica. Wasn't nice when I found out my favourite cards from ages ago turned out to be polished shit at best. Although I did find a card worth about $40 in the old pile.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Man that story was boring, I tried to read it but I've found nothing tolerable after savor the flavor and Brandon left WOTC for better horizons. The new writers were and are still tripe, I could stand to not read a single thing writen by those fools again.
This is no exception.

freaper said:
It's kinda funny how we, as presumed civilized people, still struggle to wrap our heads around the notion of gender all the while belittling tribal cultures as primitive,
We are civilized people. By every definition, there is no presumption, there is no argument against our current level of civilization is civilization. and there can be no confusion on the matter.
As for the second part, civilization is not supposed to be a place of acceptance and high minded ideals as much stability. we give bits and pieces of our rights and the indivisibility as human beings to gain the benefits of a society. The focus on want makes things stable is roles. Give a person a role, make sure they stick to it, make him dependent on many other people with specialized roles and have yourself a stable world.
The problems with gender specifically would likely be due to Dr money being a fuck up and the large amount of selective attention bias people have been churning out these days.
THe people that assumed money correct in proving a tabula rasa nature of gender have afterwards muddied the mixture and now we live in an age of mis information, political and scientific bias, resistance and upheaval, like every other age.
Also secondly I am not sure, but I am fairly certain the nomadic life style set by at least a fair amount of the first nations people does not strictly fit the definition of civilization. but I am not up on my pre-colonization first nations history well enough to comment on it.
while they, historically as well, manage to be totally cool with transgenders. I'll be playing some Khans tomorrow, hopefully I'll be able to draft her into a deck.
Depends on the people, yes the Two soul of the First nations are an instance, but I am not sure if that apply to all peoples.
And from what i am reading of early civilized people of Europe, Asia minor and northern africa, it does not seems to be a universal thing.
I personally think the two spirit thing was more of an extension of the "bush soul" or totemism of post neolithic nomadic hunter gatherer tribes. (as opposed to migratory tribes like the franks, which while having shamans and animalism also had civilized inculence).

On a side note, Jebus. I've had enough of this on /tg/ do we really need to go through "oh theres a trans char'" I mean wouldn't it be better to just let it be normal. As much as gender Diaspora is a thing and is not an overwhelming common state for the vast majority of people, they are still just people and singling people out is half way towards ostracizing said person.
Personally i thought it would be better just to not make much of a fuss about it, when you make a fuss, there will always be people there angry you are making a fuss (and you have been one of those people before) and they will inevitably resistant said fuss by making a fuss of their own.

Though if I must bring things from /tg/ here is some.
Most of the thread was I don't care, a minority was man, this right after GW devs have been seen hanging out with notorious SJws, man this hobbies's getting weird. Followed by a "well /tg/ is a place of do shit yourself, why do we care".
The most interesting discussion was likely centered around this post
"If the character was part of the Jeskai clan, the group of philosophical monks who probably in their meditations have asked the question "what does it mean to be male and female?" and we had a character who through his explorations of thought decided to be opposite, then we'd have a neat story. The Mongolian warrior boy being a "girl" makes little sense beyond the boy liking his grandmother.
If he was just a boy who chose a girl's name, the art would be different, because Alesha is a Mongolian warrior who was born male in ancient times without access to the ability to alter his biology at all who is depicted in art as very female. WotC decided she was going to be a trans character for the sake of 'feelings,' not good story telling. He should look male, but have a girl's name, because he chose a girl's name. But the art is female, because she was always supposed to be a female leader, and then the writer shoved the trans tidbit in very, very post development and post implementation.
Being "trans" makes no sense for the character and is a clear contrivance for the sake of pandering. If the writers wanted to include a male/female exploration, they should have done it on Theros where the Greek influences overflow with that sort of thing. On Tarkir, becoming female when already male makes little sense, and less in Mardu."
A discussion on mardu art trying to get an idea on the art to prove/disprove the above, the results were inconclusive. While the obvious males were wearing gutplate and splint Rerebraces some most notably the Mardu Hordechief and the valley dasher are depicted as male (the former owning a mustache, the latter balding).
The leaning is that the above is incorrect, however there is some note that the majority of female warriors such as the war name aspirant and the chief of the edge are depicted as having a singular chest plate unlike the runemark and She, who smiles at death. the use of the rune mark in the story may suggest a connection between the two and it is suspect as to why this mardu warrior is rather lithe and her features are rather feminine.

TheKasp said:
Redryhno said:
Mildly? That's some some good combo potential right there, as of the time of writing i now a couple of people abusing it in commander. I understand as it might not be very popular in standard and hasn't made it's way into any L/M/V rushdown decks but it seems pretty solid, i could see this being used later.

But of course the only thing anybody cares about is a mild silly statement against trans. You never disappoint in your predictability OT, keep up the good work!
You know, I was going to say something, but the more i read this section the more confused I am.
"kind to cisgendered" bugger that's a statement, seriously I am getting really upset with tumblr forcing that word into the public idiolect and supplanting sex with ol' dr money's snake oil (makes you smart, good for the kids, since 1970s snake oil you can trust).
But I can however say that I don't see the escapist being against trans people (a lack of kindness can be apathy)
Or really anyone else in the more progressed states of the world. Hell even more regressed states don't give a large shit.
And to the point I, like a lot of people take a live and let die prospective on this.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
cleric of the order said:
Most of the thread was I don't care, a minority was man, this right after GW devs have been seen hanging out with notorious SJws, man this hobbies's getting weird. Followed by a "well /tg/ is a place of do shit yourself, why do we care".
"If the character was part of the Jeskai clan, the group of philosophical monks who probably in their meditations have asked the question "what does it mean to be male and female?" and we had a character who through his explorations of thought decided to be opposite, then we'd have a neat story. The Mongolian warrior boy being a "girl" makes little sense beyond the boy liking his grandmother.
If he was just a boy who chose a girl's name, the art would be different, because Alesha is a Mongolian warrior who was born male in ancient times without access to the ability to alter his biology at all who is depicted in art as very female. WotC decided she was going to be a trans character for the sake of 'feelings,' not good story telling. He should look male, but have a girl's name, because he chose a girl's name. But the art is female, because she was always supposed to be a female leader, and then the writer shoved the trans tidbit in very, very post development and post implementation.
Being "trans" makes no sense for the character and is a clear contrivance for the sake of pandering. If the writers wanted to include a male/female exploration, they should have done it on Theros where the Greek influences overflow with that sort of thing. On Tarkir, becoming female when already male makes little sense, and less in Mardu."
A discussion on mardu art trying to get an idea on the art to prove/disprove the above, the results were inconclusive. While the obvious males were wearing gutplate and splint Rerebraces some most notably the Mardu Hordechief and the valley dasher are depicted as male (the former owning a mustache, the latter balding).
The leaning is that the above is incorrect, however there is some note that the majority of female warriors such as the war name aspirant and the chief of the edge are depicted as having a singular chest plate unlike the runemark and She, who smiles at death. the use of the rune mark in the story may suggest a connection between the two and it is suspect as to why this mardu warrior is rather lithe and her features are rather feminine.
Well, that's an odd story. (I know it's presumably not yours, but since you're the one posting it here...) Seems questionable though. Especially asserting stuff about 'primitive' cultures and medical intervention.
There's a rather simple thing that's been possible for thousands of years after all, if you intervene soon enough. Doesn't quite do the trick as well as modern options, and it only really works for men, but... You'd end up with someone that looks pretty feminine, if they survived it anyway...
We used to do it quite regularly for entirely different reasons.
Basically, if you castrate someone before they hit puberty, they really won't develop much in the way of masculine traits.
And while it's a very risky thing to do (the shock of it can kill someone pretty quickly), it's been possible pretty much for as long as we've had knives...

So yeah... Sure... Someone in a 'primitive' culture, without access to modern medicine definitely couldn't look feminine... >_>

FriesWithThat said:
EDIT: I should elaborate that trans here is referring to transsexual, not transgender. (i.e. body of a guy, but being psychologically a girl and identifying as such, rather than making the whole change. This shit's confusing, I know)
I don't know where you got that distinction from, because it doesn't make sense, but if you're going through the trouble of making a distinction at all... Eh. Seems backwards.

Transsexual is a rather specific term, while transgender is more of a broad catch-all term that covers a very wide variety of situations... The distinction has nothing to do with surgery, and strictly speaking, thanks to the incredibly fuzzy definition of transgender, a transexual is by definition also transgender, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

But yes, it is confusing, and I am completely sick of words and stuff...

Yawn... I'm so bored of this topic though.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I know Baldur's Gate isn't exactly WotC but Edwin/Edwina would easily be a trans character before this.

Sure, it wasn't a willing transformation but it was one.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
TheKasp said:
Damnit Kasp, I was gonna post that.

Anyway good on them, cool idea, kinda pointless though. Lemme explain.

It's not the fact of "Putting a Trans character into a popular game" it's, "Putting a Trans character into a CARD game." Not a whole lot of people keep up with the lore, and there's no way to know the character is trans just by looking at him/her(please don't kill me, I'm unsure of how to define). That and with how MtG puts out new blocks and cards, Alesha will be shuffled to the side in a few months. A trans Planswalker maybe since they ARE the characters the lore and stories tend to follow but just a normal legendary card? More people will remember Alesha for the effect first.

Still, cool to see this happen but given the media(CCG), it's kinda odd to make a big deal about it. Then again I seem to be making a big deal about it so feel free to ignore me. She'll be fun with some old Boros cards I have. Or maybe a black red zombie deck. Hell, Rakdos would love this power.

Yes hello, I don't play standard, I play "Do you have a deck? Sweet let's play". So this card works in a lot of things for me.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
cleric of the order said:
Well, that's an odd story. (I know it's presumably not yours, but since you're the one posting it here...) Seems questionable though. Especially asserting stuff about 'primitive' cultures and medical intervention.
There's a rather simple thing that's been possible for thousands of years after all, if you intervene soon enough. Doesn't quite do the trick as well as modern options, and it only really works for men, but... You'd end up with someone that looks pretty feminine, if they survived it anyway...
We used to do it quite regularly for entirely different reasons.
Basically, if you castrate someone before they hit puberty, they really won't develop much in the way of masculine traits.
And while it's a very risky thing to do (the shock of it can kill someone pretty quickly), it's been possible pretty much for as long as we've had knives...

So yeah... Sure... Someone in a 'primitive' culture, without access to modern medicine definitely couldn't look feminine... >_>

FriesWithThat said:
EDIT: I should elaborate that trans here is referring to transsexual, not transgender. (i.e. body of a guy, but being psychologically a girl and identifying as such, rather than making the whole change. This shit's confusing, I know)
I don't know where you got that distinction from, because it doesn't make sense, but if you're going through the trouble of making a distinction at all... Eh. Seems backwards.

Transsexual is a rather specific term, while transgender is more of a broad catch-all term that covers a very wide variety of situations... The distinction has nothing to do with surgery, and strictly speaking, thanks to the incredibly fuzzy definition of transgender, a transexual is by definition also transgender, but the reverse is not necessarily true.

But yes, it is confusing, and I am completely sick of words and stuff...

Yawn... I'm so bored of this topic though.
You're not wrong. I've changed the edit to be a less wrong. I think I just misunderstood stuff when I was looking it up before posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Drops a Sweet Katana

May 27, 2009
MerlinCross said:
TheKasp said:
Damnit Kasp, I was gonna post that.

Anyway good on them, cool idea, kinda pointless though. Lemme explain.

It's not the fact of "Putting a Trans character into a popular game" it's, "Putting a Trans character into a CARD game." Not a whole lot of people keep up with the lore, and there's no way to know the character is trans just by looking at him/her(please don't kill me, I'm unsure of how to define). That and with how MtG puts out new blocks and cards, Alesha will be shuffled to the side in a few months. A trans Planswalker maybe since they ARE the characters the lore and stories tend to follow but just a normal legendary card? More people will remember Alesha for the effect first.

Still, cool to see this happen but given the media(CCG), it's kinda odd to make a big deal about it. Then again I seem to be making a big deal about it so feel free to ignore me. She'll be fun with some old Boros cards I have. Or maybe a black red zombie deck. Hell, Rakdos would love this power.

Yes hello, I don't play standard, I play "Do you have a deck? Sweet let's play". So this card works in a lot of things for me.
I'm inclined to agree you on it being largely pointless in the grand scheme of things, however, as I said before, I made this post highlighting how well I thought they did it. It didn't feel token in the context of the story, it actually ADDED to the story they were telling and no one really dwells on the fact that Alesha is trans, plus it fleshes out the Mardu as a culture. It was pretty much the opposite of what I expected in a great way. I do hope we start seeing more stuff like this since it can really help to create some great characters given enough thought to the character and the culture they live in.

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Who cares? I do. As a long time magic-player and judge, and a transgender person I really liked this story. The validation of my gender identity and a character to identify with who's presented respectfully is rare. And no, it's not better to ignore and never show trans people because that's singling people out. I realise ignoring problems is very convenient and a nice way of "solving" things if you're a white cisman, but society isn't nice and pretty and fair just because you're not negatively affected by ignoring what everyone being discriminated against is telling you. World doesn't work that way.

This story, and the work Wizards is doing in being inclusive is very nice, and makes me very happy.

This forum, and the many transphobic, ignorant jerks inhabiting it does not. But I'm not interested in you, you can go be horrible people elsewhere.

To the not horrible people though, there seems to be some confusion regarding terminology, which I'd like to clear up.

Trans - This is an umbrella term incorporating a whole lot of gender identities, pretty much all of the except for the cisgender norm and according to some intergender (which would sort of be cis, but not normative cis? Or something?). Others include intergender as well. This means that Alesha is not the first trans character, that would be the agendered Ashiok from Theros. Alesha is the first transsexual character, which is significant all on it's own.

Transsexual - Nothing to do with surgery or transition, only identity. Not a man or a woman trapped in a body belonging to another gender, just a man, or woman, with a body that, according to normative tradition, does not mesh with their gender identity.

Trap - Don't use this word. Ever. It's extremely offensive and shows so much ignorance it's hard to even begin to describe where you're going wrong. We're not traps to catch unsuspecting cismen. We're not trying to decieve anyone. We're not going to laugh since we tricked you into having sex with a man, we won't laugh, we didn't trick you, we're not men. Fuck you so much.

Also, please don't use the wrong pronoun for people, even if it is a fictional character. She choose a name. Not "well, he". She, both before and after getting the name.

Edit: This bugs me too. Mardu get their name for killing their first foe. Doesn't have to be reckless, doesn't have to be brave, doesn't have to be cool, or badass. Most of them try to do it in a cool way though. Most choose a name describing how they did it. Zurgo crushed someone's head through their helm. Helmsmasher, that sounds awesome. Someone stabbed a bear in the stomach with a spear from 10 feet away while their companions held the bear down? Gutpiercer sounds cooler. Remember that their archers are also named, and shooting people with a bow, from a horse is not that suicidal. I mean, sure, they're taking part in battle which in and of itself is quite deadly, and there are dragons and wizards in this world, making conflict downright moronic, but proportionally it's a rather safe way of getting one's name.