Wizards of the Coast has revealed MtG's first trans character

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Well, that's an odd story. (I know it's presumably not yours, but since you're the one posting it here...) Seems questionable though.
It wasn't, though I did do the research on the topic, I really think that the story that anon produced was bunk, since there are signs of men having full scale as opposed to the gut plate only and being thinner and since she's already pretty androgynous...by no means do i rule it out, it's just rather unlikely, really really unlikely.

Especially asserting stuff about 'primitive' cultures and medical intervention.
There's a rather simple thing that's been possible for thousands of years after all, if you intervene soon enough. Doesn't quite do the trick as well as modern options, and it only really works for men, but... You'd end up with someone that looks pretty feminine, if they survived it anyway...
We used to do it quite regularly for entirely different reasons.
Basically, if you castrate someone before they hit puberty, they really won't develop much in the way of masculine traits.
And while it's a very risky thing to do (the shock of it can kill someone pretty quickly), it's been possible pretty much for as long as we've had knives...

So yeah... Sure... Someone in a 'primitive' culture, without access to modern medicine definitely couldn't look feminine... >_>
huh that was pretty interesting, I never thought of that.
Thanks.
Of course that would mean she'd have to have been a eunuch and identify as trans, but weirder things have happened

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
TheKasp said:
[
Sorry that I use words that are new to you or that you may have not known outside of tumblr.
Why are you apologizing, there is no need to though you could have just used trans instead of non cisgendered but that's besides the point.
Cis is the opposite of trans.
it took awhile when i was first introduced to it, it's like NT for autistic. I just see no point in using it in the common idiolect as the majority of people are cis. It's like how Homosexuality comes up more then hetrosexual.
As much as it can offend you or me, Cis people or NTs(it doesn't, our stimmns tend to piss off others people with ASD, majority rule ASD would be stupid) are the majority of the populous.
It seems pointless to me, it's like when I ain't calling you an NT.
PS: Never visited tumblr and I really don't give a shit about peoples petty issues with this site.
That's nice, the place is a mad house, otherkin, rad fem and a lot of weird stuff comes out of there. And I would be K with it if they weren't so violent with their statements. It's one thing to live in peace and be weird and another to use it as an excuse to attack people.
Violence drive people apart and can radically charge two groups, as long as tumblr remains doing as it does any person legitimately trying to fight for human rights will be dogged both by tumblr and anti tumblr.
And also: "Trap"
I'm going to have to stop you there. I don't think this can count as harboring any hate/ill will towards transsexuals.
Trap refers to anyone man that appears to be a woman, androgynous person. It doesn't mean transexual at all. Transexual(f in m) people can androgynous yes, like "who smiles at death" but they can be of any body type of form, bulky, fat, masculine and the like. and in this case i would argue that She who smiles at death would be a trap, sexually she's still a man (unless some mardu sex switching magic went through), it's only her gender that is female. Though I'll concede to no quite understanding thiseunuch , there's a lot of people far more violently impassioned/educated on the topic then I. Something about the vagina monologues being sexist because it excludes women without vaginas, not my thing really.

and two transphobic posts up to the post you quoted.
I'll concede Mr freeman wasn't quite as ...... well expressed as he should have been, he was certainly misinformed from one level at another I get the feeling he was trying to argue something from a different level. seemingly more against the people that believe gender is only a social construct. Either way he tried and I can't begrudge him his foolishness, freewill is an illusion and all that jazz.
And I also see some people jumping to the defense of those.
I should have defended that other guy after. but seriously I don't see a lot of that.
Sure, tell me how people don't give a shit about trans to "a point where (<- this helped the whole thing make more sense to me, )" they pull out condescending rhetorik whenever people are not bashing 'dem trannys. Like when people use proper terminology and they ascribe that to some sites they despise.
Condensing rhetoric can be a bother, some people can be rather full of themselves but others just try to speak what they see is the true. It's all subjective, more so on the internet as the lack of tone and body language leaves people to create their own meanings and things can go quite off the handle. I'm certain the lot of them mean no offense just be straight and honest and they could concede to rationality and good heart.
But there is something I know for certain, people don't like violence against others unless someone has done something perceived as wrong and I don't honestly think people actively want harm done to trans people, I would have heard of the stories of the states declaring a semi religious war on them in the westboro area if you catch my drift.
At the very least it isn't high enough in the public consciousness to be newsworthy and we live in a progressive state.
Honestly I think people could be forgive for shortening things as well, heck I would say it is foolish for people to harbor any ill will towards someone that points at a statement and says I find that most commonly abused here. Sites like 4chan, tumblr, etc,etc exist in our public mind as something for a reason. They hold an idea. they symbolize people, ideas, concepts. It's all integral to how the mind works, we recognize patterns,attribute the abstraction to something that seems to be the cause of it and let fly. For example tumblr has things like the otherkin, is the worst offender of using cis/cishet(often for no good reason and in a manner that sets back any person lobby for trans people at all) and is likely a part of the reason we have those terms in the public sphere.
Or for the bleak opposite, /pol/ which we know as the crazy conspiracy theorist of teh 'chans. We refer to uncle /pol/ as a nazi, he's know for redpill and the like. whenever someone says something rightwing and crazy they tend to get refereed to >>>/pol? for a reason.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
cleric of the order said:
Well, you went overboard :p

I'd just like to address one thing; I do believe, from an intellectual standpoint (I'm not an activist, by any stretch of the imagination), that kicking up a fuss about a perceived injustice (perceived, because like you said, civilization is relative) is better in the long term than just keeping quiet and assuming and/or hoping that the general train of thought changes accordingly. If we need some hammy, highschooler, fantasy lore to introduce more gender diversity in a relatively large and fairly diverse community today so that in X years we, or whoever's up next, will be totally cool with it, that's completely acceptable to me.

It's 2AM, my posts get a lot more to-the-point when I'm tired.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
MetalShadowChaos said:
Identifying as Trans has always sounded inherently badass to me anyway. Defying what you've been given because you know if your heart that your true identity lives elsewhere. Then you undergo chemical treatments. You know who else undergoes chemical treatments? Space Marines. I rest my case.

That was a pretty rad story. It had dragons and smashing things. I liked the Orc guy too. He was cute. Is he a card too? I don't Magic.
Not to mention the fact that being trans dramatically increases ones chances of experiencing abuse, violence, rape, and murder. So yea. Badass to come out as who you are in a world that hates and fears you.

I've never heard this view about trans people before though. It was pretty awesome. *grins*

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
freaper said:
Well, you went overboard :p
It's what I do best
I'd just like to address one thing; I do believe, from an intellectual standpoint (I'm not an activist, by any stretch of the imagination), that kicking up a fuss about a perceived injustice (perceived, because like you said, civilization is relative) is better in the long term than just keeping quiet and assuming and/or hoping that the general train of thought changes accordingly.
I can understand your position but I fear what this does will divide a people over what should be something rather small for people and will likely be for everyone once it's done. I really don't want to see a fight between the groups, it entrenches people and justifies some less scrupulous people's actions.

If we need some hammy, highschooler, fantasy lore to introduce more gender diversity in a relatively large and fairly diverse community today so that in X years we, or whoever's up next, will be totally cool with it, that's completely acceptable to me.
It's 2AM, my posts get a lot more to-the-point when I'm tired.
It's great that you do, I'd rather have an open discussion and an honest one at that. again I'm just worried about the removal of pleasant conversation.
Oh and have a nice night.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
TheKasp said:
I'm going to have to stop you there. I don't think this can count as harboring any hate/ill will towards transsexuals.
So a term that simply implies transsexual are coming for the poor males just to reveal they have a penis in between the legs which leads them to be 'homo' doesn't harbor ill will towards transsexuals...
What in gods name?
where in the heavens above did you get that idea.
Firstly , I did go on to explain that from what I know of "traps" it can and has been used to refer to people who are not transsexual. It simply refers to androgynous person, I've almost fallen for a trap once or twice and i can tell you sure as shootin' they ain't trans. Trap means, dude that looks like a lady and that's it, even if it has overlap with trans people by incident does not mean it focuses on it slowly. further more if someone wanted to insult trans people there are more slurs then that and far more pointed, hateful ones at that.
Tough I will admit the author of the quote in question used it to refer to any trans person. Sticky business but from what I read he went on to say about damn time we caught up with representation, which I think is quite the opposite of hatred, even if his tongue was rather casual.
More over in your....subjective description is quite something. Don't get me wrong, this is not some dangerous thing men live in fear of, or really allow to cross their mind much unless necessary. But men I understand why any man would be at a state of unease when they realize the GENDER and the SEX of the person they are dating is not the same. now I would personally be rather concerned that the person I was dating would not have been upfront with their nature. Honest is important and I would tell them I'm and Aspie pretty early on. Following that it should not preclude that anyone should be robbed of their choice of SEXUAL partner, because someone decided to be dishonest while in the transitional phrase. Post Op is different and it goes on a person to person basis but freedom to choose is still necessary, even if it hurts someone's feelings.

The Squid King

Jan 19, 2014
MerlinCross said:
him/her(please don't kill me, I'm unsure of how to define)
Alesha is a woman. Somebody's gender is defined by what they identify as :)

OT: That was a cool story and not just because it contains a respectably written transgender character. It is great to see decent representation becoming increasingly common in Fantasy, a genre that has been quite problematic in this regard.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Abomination said:
I know Baldur's Gate isn't exactly WotC but Edwin/Edwina would easily be a trans character before this.

Sure, it wasn't a willing transformation but it was one.
I just considered Edwin a man and Edwina a woman, even though they are the same person. When I played 2nd edition D&D, it was before I heard about the more modern transgender philosophy. If my character put a belt of sex change I changed the sex on my character sheet and that was that, it was still the same character in all other respects. Nowadays that item is useless because, according to modern philosophy, putting it on would not have any change to your character sheet at all, other than adding "belt of no effect" to your worn items.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
TheKasp said:
Hmm. So you say it doesn't mean transsexual at all? Then why the fuck did it appear here?
As I said, it appears the fellow regarding it is speaking casually:
see below.
VanQ said:
There have been traps in anime for decades. I'm glad to see the west is finally starting to catch up.

I actually picked a Mardu Runemark and Alesha, Who Smiles at Death from some booster packs at a draft event this past weekend and was going to build a Warriors themed Commander deck around her and see how it went. Some of the new Warrior cards this set are really nice and supplement each other really well.

Battle Brawler has First Strike but no Lifelink. The Lifelink orc this set is Brutal Hordechief but rather than Lifelink, he deals 1 damage for each creature of yours that attacks to each target you attack and gives you 1 Life for each attacking creature as well.
It does not seem to be used as a hate word or in the fullest of its intended meaning. But NT, showed up here as well, and I am sure there are transsexual Neurotypicals, does it mean those words are linked intrinsically. No.

Is it because your opinion about the term is irrelevant?
I received information about this word from people and from places, let me give you two
"2) trap
A man who dresses like a woman and is somewhat feminine in appearance. Could almost be mistaken for a woman until you are in the bedroom with one. Watch out for these types, they are usually afraid to get intimate because you might discover their little 'secret', but sooner or later you find out the truth! "
~urban dictionary
Which would makes sense because it seems to be derived from the below
"Trick or deceive (someone) into doing something contrary to their interests or intentions:" native defintion 2.1 oxford dictionary.
And while it can be applied to transsexuals it does not have to. by definition, intent and evolution.
Frankly, I don't give a rats ass about your anecdotes or opinions.
that has characterized our conversation, yes. I am admittedly saddened to some extent, I had hoped I had be civil and reasonable and that I recognized your opinions with the respect due to them. But I suppose the opening statment about cis was a bit much, I should have added I have no course to change the term and I didn't think you were a tumblrite. but then again I didn't think i needed to and thus I removed it, it was an off the cuff comment anyway.
The word is used for effeminate males, crossdressers and transsexuals. It is a slur. That is all the magic behind it.
No, I for one can name a myriad of words that could be used to any number of those people and you can no doubt as well. Trap is a modified term, meaning a deceptive effeminate male (and only an effeminate male) that resembles a female well enough that you wouldn't notice until you see each other in intimate times. And it does fit the the description of a trap as in the one nigh stand situation someone INTENTIONALLY led on by the person in question would find themselves moving contrary to their interests. And same with a person in a relationship. Identification of a trap is more or less a way of avoiding this, admittedly rare occurrence and allows the person that may have fallen victim to retain agency. As such there is a reasonable usage for this term, for it to be a slurr against trans people it would need to be directed against trans people (which you have gone so far to admit it is not by grouping) and mean only to insult them (which I had hoped to prove by marking it's use as a warning and a method of retaining agency and to which there are very, very many terms to use besides that tailored for that group specifically such as the all encompassing F-).

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
dragonswarrior said:
Not to mention the fact that being trans dramatically increases ones chances of experiencing abuse, violence, rape, and murder. So yea. Badass to come out as who you are in a world that hates and fears you.

I've never heard this view about trans people before though. It was pretty awesome. *grins*
Man I really don't want to ask this but where? and can i get some links to that shit because shit one of my old friends is post op m to f and I want to help her through any of that shit.
I already know the medication and the procedure can straight up kill them after the fact or at least that's what she said but I don't remember her really complaining about this shit.
Perhaps it's an American thing or a not Canada thing but I don't see any reports of this, or really have heard much of this at all. Or is it kinda just grouped together with homosexuals in the bashing club

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Good story Gave me Goosebumps. ....You know this actually tempts me to get back into magic. XD

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
dragonswarrior said:

Man I really don't want to ask this but where? and can i get some links to that shit because shit one of my old friends is post op m to f and I want to help her through any of that shit.
I already know the medication and the procedure can straight up kill them after the fact or at least that's what she said but I don't remember her really complaining about this shit.
Perhaps it's an American thing or a not Canada thing but I don't see any reports of this, or really have heard much of this at all. Or is it kinda just grouped together with homosexuals in the bashing club
The problem is it is frequently grouped together with homosexuals... But most experts believe that the violence rate against trans folks is actually higher percentage wise than against the LGBTQ community at large.

Here's a good page: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2012/05/murder-statistics-of-transgender-people/

As you can see, a huge problem is that they haven't been able to accurately figure out even a close approximation of how much violence trans people face, but that everyone agrees it's pretty fucking high.

I live with a very good friend who's post op F to M. He never really complains about this stuff, but he also keeps the fact that he's trans hidden from just about everybody. When questioned about it, he does cite fear of violence as being one of the primary factors for not being more open about being trans. Additionally, our partners have talked to me about it before and both are sometimes really worried about his safety. I also live in America, no idea what it might be like across the border.

A lot of it depends also on how well your friend transitioned and how well she passes. However, the most important thing to do is to listen to her about it eh? *smiles* Make sure she knows, but if she ain't freakin' out about it you don't either. Suggest stuff sure, but make sure to follow her lead... Is the best advice I can give if you didn't already know. *Smiles* I hope it helps!

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
dragonswarrior said:
A lot of it depends also on how well your friend transitioned and how well she passes. However, the most important thing to do is to listen to her about it eh? *smiles* Make sure she knows, but if she ain't freakin' out about it you don't either. Suggest stuff sure, but make sure to follow her lead... Is the best advice I can give if you didn't already know. *Smiles* I hope it helps!
thanks, I've never been good with a lot of social things, a lot of the more nuanced stuff flies by me.
As for following her lead it's hard not to, she always had a way of being a lot of energy into something and flinging it all to wherever she wanted it to go everything, I think that's at least the key reason she's been pursuing a masters in business. I could really see her go far in that world.
oh uh anyway, have a nice night.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
TheKasp said:
So a term that simply implies transsexual are coming for the poor males just to reveal they have a penis in between the legs which leads them to be 'homo' doesn't harbor ill will towards transsexuals...
A trap is just a dude that looks like a girl. That's it. Seriously calm the fuck down.

The whole term trap came about from early 4chan (at least that's as far back as I ever saw it) when people would post effeminate boys that looked like girls and people would say "it's a trap!" often with an image of Yugi from Yu-gi-oh! accompanying it. No one ever took that as though "transexuals are coming for the poor males" or any bullshit like that. It started out as a joke but over time just became a way to describe boys that look like girls, particularly in anime these days.

In fact, your belief that it's used as a hate term is entirely misguided. People that use the word trap tend to use it affectionately, some people even look specifically for "trap anime" to watch because they enjoy it. It's just a less politically correct word than the one you choose to use. I see this a lot though, people insist on treating minorities as a special group that should be tiptoed around so as not to offend their sensitivities or some shit. That's a form of bigotry in itself.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
TheKasp said:
Redryhno said:
Ok, so there's a trans character...who cares? Are they going to be as broken as most of the recent Plainswalkers(Everyone knows about Jace of course)or as that one Khan that instantly kills all creatures who block him?
It is a 2R mana card, 3/2 with frist strike and an additional ability that seems mildly usefull. Decent value I'd guess.

But of course the only thing anybody cares about is a mild silly statement against trans. You never disappoint in your predictability OT, keep up the good work!
Well, I ignored other transphobic remarks, that one was just really easy and ripe for the picking. And funny enough, taking 8 replies for a slur to appear is quite mild for R&P and Escapist trends to not be that kind to anything non-cisgendered.
I haven't gone into the comprehensive rules in a long time, mostly because I stopped playing years ago. Does the whenever A, WSatD attacks trigger allow for one one use of the active ability or can you use the same attack trigger multiple times?