Wizards of the Coast Makes Magic for Child's Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wizards of the Coast Makes Magic for Child's Play

Wizards of the Coast [http://www.wizards.com] has pledged to donate up to $22,000 to the Child's Play Charity to celebrate the launch of the new Magic 2011 core set and you can help make it happen.

The Magic: The Gathering [http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/358] cards is set for release on July 16 and to mark the event, Wizards of the Coast will be holding launch parties at locations around the world, starting at 12:00 am on July 16 in New Zealand and running until 11:59 pm on July 19 in Hawaii. But the launch will be more than just an unrepentant nerdfest for Magic fans, it'll be a chance for gamers to do a little something to help out a worthy cause, too.

Wizards of the Coast has pledged to donate $11,000 to Penny Arcade's Child's Play Charity [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/] if at least 40,000 people attend the launch parties, with an extra $1100 thrown in for every 1000 attendees over and above that number, up to a maximum of $22,000. That's right, all you have to do is show up to a launch event and you're effectively donating to one of the finest charitable causes out there.

Child's Play, for those who may not know (and shame on you for it!), donates videogames, toys, books and cold, hard cash to children's hospitals around the world. And gamers, it turns out, are a pretty generous bunch; in 2009 alone, Child's Play raised $1.78 million for hospitals in the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand and Iraq. Child's Play is also responsible for the entertaining suffering of the Desert Bus [http://loadingreadyrun.com/], which makes it even more awesome.

So whether you're a die-hard Magic fan or just have some free time this weekend and want to help brighten up a sick kid's day, track down your nearest M11 Launch Party with this handy-dandy store and event locator [http://ww2.wizards.com/StoreAndEventLocator/], then pop in and say hello. Have some fun and do some good - what more could you want?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Nice! Thats alot of cash! I am sure be used for great causes! =D

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I wasn't planning on going to a launch event as I'm not a fan of this set, but I suppose if its for a good cause I dont have much of an excuse :)

burntheartist said:
My favorite charity.

Thought I was done with MTG back in 03, but ya know. I can get in to it again.
I started in 01, and it was much better back then.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Turns out, there's one of these parties less than half a mile from my house. I think the real question is why I wouldn't go and show my face...

Nope, can't think of a reason! Let's get some kid's hospirals some cash!

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Oh, man. For a second there I thought they were making another one of those Chucky movies.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
From the title, it sounds like they were simplifying/kiddifying the game... again...

Of course, giving money to pig like and so bald is... okay... i guess?

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I'd rather just give $1.10 to Child's Play myself since sealed deck is the worst format ever.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
So go to a launch event, sign the guest book or whatever and then go home and make your donation. It's not like you have to actually buy something (as far as I know, anyway), you just have to show up.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ItsAPaul said:
I'd rather just give $1.10 to Child's Play myself since sealed deck is the worst format ever.
Mirrodin Block is worse than any Sealed event I've ever done; including a Homelands Limited game.
"Who wants to play a dozen Vial-Ravager Affinity mirror matches? I know I sure do!"

I'll take shitty random over broken Constructed any day.

Still, my birthday coincides with the release, so I'll probably attend. Best of luck to the Child's Play charity.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
22k is a pretty pathetic amount of money from WotC. That buys what, twelve boosters? Two Jaces?

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
ItsAPaul said:
Mirrodin Block is worse than any Sealed event I've ever done; including a Homelands Limited game.
"Who wants to play a dozen Vial-Ravager Affinity mirror matches? I know I sure do!"

I'll take shitty random over broken Constructed any day.

Still, my birthday coincides with the release, so I'll probably attend. Best of luck to the Child's Play charity.
Thank your lucky stars you weren't around for standard when Academy was legal. You don't know what bad constructed is.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ark123 said:
Thank your lucky stars you weren't around for standard when Academy was legal. You don't know what bad constructed is.
I've been exposed to the broken insanity that is Tolarian Academy, thanks. My buddy loves to abuse it in his EDH artifact deck. Fast mana has always been the quickest way to break the game.

But you know what's odd about the Urza Block?

Urza Block by itself? Really fun actually. Especially limited. Since half the set is broken, it's no big deal and each color felt well represented (except..MAYBE Red).

Once you allow Urza Block cards elsewhere though...bullshit ensues. (Hi there Squirrel Opposition and Academy Rector enchantment fetch. Combo-tastic!)