Wo Long Fallen Dynasty Impressions - Seki-Nioh 3

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I love the Nioh games, they are crazy action games with a lot of souls DNA but with the added mechanics of amazing combat plus diablo-style loot. Team Ninja has found a weird formula that basically blends together some of my favorite gaming things all in on great little package. And I was sad that Team Ninja came out and explained that they would not be doing a Nioh 3.

That was a fucking lie.

Wo Long is Nioh 3. It's Nioh with a jump button, much the same way Seikro is a Souls game with a jump. Oh an Wo Long puts an emphasis on deflection for defense, and there is no stamina bar.

Wait a fucking minute. Nioh 1 was a lot like a Souls game, then Nioh 2 was an improvement on that much like DS3 was to DS1. Then FromSoft makes a parry focused game with a jump button.

TEAM NINJA!? Are you just copying FromSoft's homeowrk and changing the words around a little so that the teacher wont catch you?

So Wo Long doesn't lean quite as heavily into the parry system as Seikro did, and it still retains that lovely Nioh combat with a few differences to make things feel like an evolution. For starters there is no real stamina bar, but that doesn't mean your free to do whatever you want and spam. Instead there is a sort of Moral meter I don't know what they call it. But it's a meter that is half red and half blue. Attacking and beating the shit out of enemies turns the meter blue which I think increases your damage if you keep it filled but it goes down to neutral if too much time between hitting enemies happens. Dodging and getting hit, turns the meter red and if you fill the meter red you basically are stunned for a couple seconds much the same way you would get stunned if you got hit with no KI in Nioh.

The blue part of the meter also lets you spend it on casting quick magics. Holding R2 and pressing a face button allows you to quickly throw out a spell that you have bound to your four buttons. These spells can be buffs for yourself, debuffs for the bad guys, or attack magics like fireballs and shit. It all sort of depends on what you are building yourself towards.

WoLong is a bit simpler than Nioh especially in terms of the stat department because there are only five stats to level into that all effect a very specific thing on your character. The terms are different but basically you are investing in five elements that affect, HP, offense, defense, magic, and healing or buffing. From what I can tell in the demo, I think the name of the game is going to be specializing yourself in probably no more than two, maybe three of these stats for maximum benefit of a given play style. Essentially it looks like they are going to want you to build towards a playstyle rather than just raw stating yourself. Which is fine it's a bit unique from what has been in these games before so it keeps things focused on the gameplay rather than number crunching and that's cool.

The gear is the demo is pretty basic but there are a lot of modifiers on it, granting spirit bonuses (aka spell power or resistance), martial arts damage (melee combos), things like that. I'm sure later in the game there will be a lot more to it, but it's all very Nioh-esqe so if you know what the gear in Nioh's like you find much the same here.

Let's talk about that jump button. The jump has opened the maps up a bit more. While they still remain pretty linear much the same as in Nioh, there is a lot more verticality to them because you can jump up cliff walls now so long as they aren't too high. They seem to be mostly marked with white scratches, but I've been able to skyrim myself up to places earlier than I probably should have been able to, so it is what it is. Unfortunately adding verticality to the levels is all the jump seems to be good for. It doesn't grant extra attacks or grant special damage (outside of plunging unaware enemies below you) so it doesn't offer the Elden Ring jumping R2 spam for heavy weapons. It's genuinely I think just a way for them to play with level design more.

Combat itself is fast like in Nioh, with a lot of combinations you can pull off with your light and heavy attacks, plus the added bonus of quick spells as I mentioned above. Defense is really where combat has changed here. The dodge button also acts as a directional deflect if you time it right as an enemy lands an attack. Meaning you will parry the move and shove the enemy in whatever direction you were holding the stick. This of course opens your enemy up for a flurry of ass kicking by you. Enemies also have super attacks which are marked by them glowing red during the attack, deflecting these properly will knock them down and allow you to viseral attack them.

What's great about this deflection system is that if you suck at deflecting and have a hard time with timing. You can ignore it and still just dodge like a normal action game no big deal. Hell it's even better because the parry is on the same button so if you dodge slightly too late, you might just accidently deflect and shove the enemy aside instead. It's pretty great if you ask me.

Wo Long seems a lot more forgiving than Nioh and Souls games too, because when I did get hit, unless it was an obviously huge attack I didn't take much damage. You can fuck up quite a lot before you die compared to other games like this. Now you will still die, it's not an easy game, but it's also not as punishing for smaller mistakes which is nice.

I have no idea when this game is coming out but I don't think it's until early to mid 2023. And I'm very excited for it because it's better than Elden Ring....probably.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I played it, it does have a Nioh feel to it but it feels lesser somehow. Might be because of the demo not having everything in it, and the stats feel real pigeonholey so i wonder how much itll matter later.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Fextralife is saying that most of the issues don't happen on PS5. Though he still has gameplay problems with how the overall gameplay works.
Developers and publishers, real talk: stop messing up or being subpar on your PC ports. Either be polished like most console games are, or just wait until later. I haven't seen the video yet, but I assume the game works, but has additional problems on PC.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
ACG, you pronounced Ninja Gaiden wrong. It's not GAY-DEN! It's GAI-DEN! GAI-DEN! Why are people still doing this? It's one thing when you're not in the gaming community or not that involved, but come on man. I'm not going to harp on it too much, but there's people who still mispronounce it even though this franchise has been out for over 30 years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluegate

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Wo Long is Nioh 3. It's Nioh with a jump button, much the same way Seikro is a Souls game with a jump. Oh an Wo Long puts an emphasis on deflection for defense, and there is no stamina bar.

Wait a fucking minute. Nioh 1 was a lot like a Souls game, then Nioh 2 was an improvement on that much like DS3 was to DS1. Then FromSoft makes a parry focused game with a jump button.

TEAM NINJA!? Are you just copying FromSoft's homeowrk and changing the words around a little so that the teacher wont catch you?
I'm totally fine with this since FROM is probably the only developer in the world that deserves to have a pupil from a legendary rank :) But they should've just named it Nioh 3, who cares about the story anyway...

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So this game is actually more Sekiro 2 in China, than nioh 3. Hard as FUCK.

Loving it to death. Learn them parry timings bros~

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This basically kicked me out of the game entirely. The game basically has this guy as a wall to force you to perfect the parry. Not only that but your improvement options are limited in a fucking tutorial zone, and they give you a two phase boss at the end.

Essentially you have to master the 1st phase, then master the second phase because otherwise you do it all over again. I've been able to get the 2nd phase with full heals, but get immediately destroyed in seconds because the timings on the second dude are all different and he hits harder so the healing windows are also less.

Games with strict parry requirements for progression are already a problem for me, Sekiro was really difficult and still remains difficult. And this game is feels even worse because sometimes you can just eat a dick anyway.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This basically kicked me out of the game entirely. The game basically has this guy as a wall to force you to perfect the parry. Not only that but your improvement options are limited in a fucking tutorial zone, and they give you a two phase boss at the end.

Essentially you have to master the 1st phase, then master the second phase because otherwise you do it all over again. I've been able to get the 2nd phase with full heals, but get immediately destroyed in seconds because the timings on the second dude are all different and he hits harder so the healing windows are also less.

Games with strict parry requirements for progression are already a problem for me, Sekiro was really difficult and still remains difficult. And this game is feels even worse because sometimes you can just eat a dick anyway.
Yeah this is the sort of fun Sekiro promises that's why I called it more Sekiro 2 than nioh 3. You either are a wet tissue paper or an untouchable ninja (kung fu master) god. Again like I said, hard as fuck, but a ton of fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

It's why I will never bother with Sekiro, and I will not bother with Wo Long either. There's right way to do this, and it's why I prefer Metal Gear Rising and Hi-Fi Rush. Both games ease you into parrying. The latter doesn't even introduce parrying until the third stage. There's even a boss that can only be defeated by parrying to the beat. Best of luck to you, if you're still playing.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well if I needed anymore reason not to play this (aside from not finding nioh to my taste and not liking the direction soul combat went in), I hate parry as a concept, managed to go trough all of the soul game (except for Sekiro) without using it. Sekiro I used as little as I could but I didn't finish the last boss (despite doing the harder optional boss, but they can be done without parry, unlike the final boss).

Reactions: BrawlMan