Woah Woah Woah. Okay, let's talk about women for a second.

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
So upon reading through that thread on super models, I saw some pretty awful commentary.

There was a lot of shaming being done, and stereotypes and generalizations being thrown. So let me make some things clear.

1) Just because a woman is thin, doesn't mean she's anorexic.
2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
3)Being pretty doesn't mean they lack a personality, or kindness or intelligence.
4)There is nothing wrong with girls who make a living from modeling. If they love doing it, then that's perfectly ok!
5)A thin woman isn't any less of a woman than a woman who has curves or is larger. All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.

Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.

Sorry for ranting, I just had a lot of feelings. (and I'm not attacking men here, girls are perfectly capable of slut shaming and being sexist. It actually happens quite a bit.)

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
True stuff right there, however from my experience, people that are like that (not just women), are generally not very nice, or someone i'd like to spend time with. But you're right, people shouldn't be insulted for being anorexic or bulimic, that's fucking horrible.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
museofdoom said:
Yep a dislike of women seems common here. Heck I just got done talking to a guy who basically said a relationship to him, was a place to loose money and put his dick in. Nice guy @_@.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
The first few posts of that thread worried me.

According to some people super models are glorified mannequins.

I don't think that's fair, a person is a person no matter what occupation they do.

captcha: well done

I'm thankful this isn't a Katawa Shoujo thread. :p

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
Volf said:
museofdoom said:
Yep a dislike of women seems common here. Heck I just got done talking to a guy who basically said a relationship to him, was a place to loose money and put his dick in. Nice guy @_@.
Oh what a lovely guy! Objectifying/dehumanizing women is a pretty common thing, and it's very very not good.

It's sad that some people need to be told "women are people too".

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
museofdoom said:
Volf said:
museofdoom said:
Oh what a lovely guy! Objectifying/dehumanizing women is a pretty common thing, and it's very very not good.

It's sad that some people need to be told "women are people too".
I mean I may not agree with alot of women on this site, but I draw the line at "it just a place to put my dick".

Jan 13, 2012
I only respect women if they respect themselves. (sorry, but I do)

Your point is true though. Many models are great people. Although, some are just downright bitches and you can't change that. You shouldn't generalise people for what they do, tis' just wrong.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well, I agree. A person's body belongs to them, and what they do with it is up to them (as long as they don't hurt anyone else in the process).

Too often people make the leap from "I, personally, dislike activity X" to "ACTIVITY X IS IMMORAL AND ANYONE WHO DOES IT IS UTTER SCUM!!!"

People shouldn't be insulted for being too fat or too thin. Obviously, from a medical standpoint, it is unhealthy to be obese or anorexic. But the worst thing you can do is to insult them.

If you want someone to have a healthy weight, the best thing we can all do is to help them and convince them that we are on THEIR side. That we care about them, and that we want them to be better. Screaming insults at them does not help. All it does is drive them away or shatter any remaining self-confidence that they have, which helps no one.

People are so quick to judge others on their looks, because they can't help but think that they are tied up in how another person looks. Subconsciously, a lot of people think that someone looks or dresses a certain way in order to judge them or influence them. This is ludicrous. How someone else looks or dresses has no bearing on anyone else, nor should it.

I have nothing against models - if that's what they want to do, so be it. Some claim that they perpetuate an unrealistic body image for young women - but that's more the fault of the marketers, who choose to put these models on billboards. It's not the fault of the models themselves. If you're going to blame anyone for bad body image, blame fashion DESIGNERS, not the models they hire.

It's like when some of my friends blame the Chinese for "Stealing our jobs" - they didn't "steal" our jobs. They were GIVEN our jobs by our BOSSES, and why wouldn't they accept it? It's not the chinese people's fault that they were offered the jobs, and it's not the models fault that marketers, fashion designers and business people use specific body types in their marketing.

As for sex - as long as it's between mentally sound, consenting adults, hell, go for it. Do whatever it is you want. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone. And by hurt I mean, badly hurt or injure.

People are quick to judge others because they secretly think that everything revolves around them. "I dislike the way those people dress! ARRRRGGH! I must voice my displeasure because how DARE they dress in a way I don't like! They should have known I didn't like it! They are intentionally doing it to infuriate me!" or "I can't imagine myself doing X - those people are doing X, how disgusting they are!". People need to realize that the world does not revolve around them. How others dress and act has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE ELSE (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone). Live your life the way you want to, let others live their life the way they want to.

There are more things to worry about than whether or not someone else is obese or anorexic. That is their problem. Either help them, or leave them alone, but their problem is their problem, not yours. If someone else is grossly obese, or anorexic, the only thing that tells you is that they have an eating disorder. That's all it tells you. They could be nice, mean, communist, libertarian, religious, atheist - you can't tell that by someone's weight. All you can tell is that they have a medical or eating disorder.

And how that affects anyone else, I don't know. Why judge someone due to a problem that they have which doesn't affect you? Do you judge someone with premature male baldness? No, that would be absurd. Do you judge someone because they are shorter or taller than you? That would be absurd as well. Granted, we have control over our weight, but at the end of the day, it's just weight. It's just body size. It affects the individual, period - not you.

Now, some would argue (including many of my fellow med students) that we should judge obese people because obesity is bad and impacts the health system and drains resources. Yeah, well, LOTS of things do that. The BMJ recently published a study conclusively linking excess consumption of red meat to an increased risk of certain types of cancer. Should we heckle and judge anyone who eats a beef burger? Those who play video games excessively are at a greater risk of developing RSI and other joint disorders. Do you shout insults against anyone who plays Diablo III? Motorcycles are so dangerous that some doctors call them "Donorcycles" due to the amount of severely brain damaged motorcycle accident victims we see routinely. Driving motorcycles increases the risk of serious injury and consequently, the use of medical resources. Do we slam and humiliate motorcycle drivers? No.

NO ONE is perfect. No one is free from all problems. I'm not a religious man in any way, but even I find some useful tips from the Bible: " why behold you the speck that is in your brother's eye, but consider not the beam that is in your own eye?"

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
My view is simple. Hating either gender is fucking ridiculous because if it wasn't for a woman, you would never have been born and if it wasn't for a man, you would never have existed at all. There... well, maybe if you're a misanthrope or something.

As for the model thing, they're free to do whatever they want, like everyone else in free corners of the world. That includes their appearance. I'm not into overly skinny women with bizarre hair styles though, but if they want to do that stuff, fine by me.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
museofdoom said:
Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.
And not everyone has to not call someone a slut. I think you are forgetting that this is the internet, and more importantly if a person really enjoys showing skin or having sex then they don't need someone defending them because they should be comfortable with who they are.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
Well, they have two X chromosomes, and they sometimes give birth to children... Oh! You mean, talk about specific things! Okay!

museofdoom said:
1) Just because a woman is thin, doesn't mean she's anorexic.
2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
3)Being pretty doesn't mean they lack a personality, or kindness or intelligence.
4)There is nothing wrong with girls who make a living from modeling. If they love doing it, then that's perfectly ok!
5)A thin woman isn't any less of a woman than a woman who has curves or is larger. All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.
I agree! Except for five. I have no idea what you mean. Sickly bodies are not good. Dead bodies are not good. Heavenly bodies are too far away to be good... except for the sun. Good ol' Sol! Such a cute little star. But I digress.

Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.
Yep. I'm good with this. In Thinker's America, those who oppose this view will be smacked upside the head.

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
astrav1 said:
museofdoom said:
And not everyone has to not call someone a slut. I think you are forgetting that this is the internet, and more importantly if a person really enjoys showing skin or having sex then they don't need someone defending them because they should be comfortable with who they are.
Yes they should be comfortable with who they are! But they don't need to be constantly shamed by society for enjoying sex and showing skin! Calling someone a slut is shaming them, and it's not a nice thing to do at all. No one likes being called a slut. And I am fully aware that this is the internet but that doesn't mean people should use that as an excuse to not be a decent human being.

targren

May 13, 2009
museofdoom said:
While 1 through 3 are basically undeniable, logical fact, these two are subjective. One can have a valid objections to modeling as a career.

As for 5, a thin woman is, by definition, less of a woman than one who is larger. ;)

Joking aside, though, again, that is not 'clear' at all. That's your opinion. I personally find the emaciated look profoundly unattractive. "If I'm seeing ribs, I want to be seeing a side of cornbread and a bottle of BBQ sauce."

You contradict yourself here. You're saying that people need to stop judging others who don't have the same morals, while you go one step further and try to proscribe the behavior of others who don't share your morals. IMO, you're the one out of line here, not them, and here's why: The girls you're talking about (and everyone else) have every right to behave however they like (within community standards of law, of course), but so do their detractors. They DON'T have the right to dictate how someone else responds to their behavior.

People don't "need to stop slut-shaming." Girls who slut up need to accept that it's going to happen and grow a thicker skin about it.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
The few of us holding such low opinions of other people tar the rest of the forum population with the same stick, so I've just had a conversation with the OP of the same supermodel thread who sees the forum in general as a bunch of bitter guys who hate women!

Opinions are opinions, we can disagree with them as a majority or a minority, but at the end of the day none of it becomes fact.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Volf said:
museofdoom said:
So that makes him, by his own admissions, an ATM and feminine hygiene product.

Come to think of it, his definition for "women" would match the definition for "my hand"

OT: we should be nice to each other regardless of genetically inherited characteristics. Plus the girl hating has to stop. At first is was cute but now it is just getting old.

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
The Thinker said:
I agree! Except for five. I have no idea what you mean. Sickly bodies are not good. Dead bodies are not good. Heavenly bodies are too far away to be good... except for the sun. Good ol' Sol! Such a cute little star. But I digress.
Ok corpses aren't included in that obviously. As for sickly bodies, sure it's not healthy, but a person with a sickly body shouldn't be shamed. People with anorexia or bulimia that have sickly bodies are suffering more horribly than is possible to imagine, and they don't need people telling them they're disgusting to add to it. Also, other things cause sickly bodies, like cancer for instance. Does a cancer patient really need to be told they're not beautiful because the chemo made them extremely thin?

"all bodies are good bodies" basically translates to "everyone is beautiful."

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
museofdoom said:
astrav1 said:
museofdoom said:
Yes they should be comfortable with who they are! But they don't need to be constantly shamed by society for enjoying sex and showing skin! Calling someone a slut is shaming them, and it's not a nice thing to do at all. No one likes being called a slut. And I am fully aware that this is the internet but that doesn't mean people should use that as an excuse to not be a decent human being.
Well the way I see it if a person is truly being themselves then what society thinks doesn't matter. If they do feel shame I think there's something wrong with that. That doesn't mean however that outside of the internet people should be disparaged for who they are, unless they hurt others.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I can respect a woman if she enjoys sex, showing her body etc, so long as it's for herself. I have a problem with a woman being a slut if she's insecure and is looking for "love". I have a problem with a woman if she needs to look good to deserve any kind of attention. But you know what? I feel exactly the same about men in that respect. These things apply to either gender in my mind.

To give you an idea, my first girlfriend broke up with me about 4 years ago, in that time she has told me she basically sleeps with a new guy every other week and loves it. And you know what? I'm actually happy for her. She does it because she enjoys it, not because she wants attention, and I respect that. And I say the same for men who sleep around, but are at least honest with their intentions. Meaning, if they lie to a girl in order to use them that's terrible. But if they're honest with just wanting some fun I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that anything that can be used to judge women can also be used to judge men. It's called just judging humans in general. But the most important thing is to judge them on their character, and to realise no matter how many bitches or assholes you meet in a field there will always be kind people there to, and vice versa. There will always be outliers.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
as far as I know modeling is not as glamourous as it may seem...aside from it being highly competitive and short lived..you dont even get paid that much

I was always thin, in highscool people thourght I was anerexic