Woah Woah Woah. Okay, let's talk about women for a second.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
museofdoom said:
All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.
No, some people are genuinely unhealthy, and telling them that it's "good" is only going to do them serious physical harm in the long run. People working in positions that require them to spend a lot of time on their feet need to be especially careful about their weight, because it can lead to crippling and sometimes irreparably knee damage over time. For some people, that kind of injury completely destroys their ability to work for a living. The type of shaming that such people normally attract is a problem demonstrating a lack of understanding (I used to be quite overweight due to anti-depressants, and I can tell you that overweight men get similar treatment, unless a lot has changed in the two years since I got off the pills and started working out), but that doesn't mean that it isn't a real issue meriting just as much concern as anorexia. These people need to work to change their bodies for their own sake, and they need the people around them to acknowledge that and encourage them to take action.

Also, I dispute "all women are equal". I would never insult any of the responsible and intelligent women I know by lumping them in with the much less responsible and intelligent women who spent more than ten years physically and emotionally abusing me because they bought into all the shit that came out of the Red Stockings and their successors (I suppose you could put Solanas as the origin of all that stuff, but she didn't actually want anything to do with her admirers).

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
"Slut shaming needs to stop"?

I'm really sorry, but i just can't get behind that. Enjoying sex is one thing, but i've always thought the definition of a slut was someone who slept around with several different people within a short span of time. To be perfectly honest i don't really approve of either gender doing that.

Call it a childish, naive or immature ideal if you want, but i think sex should be reserved for people who actually care about each other. Otherwise you're really no better than the guy who said that women steal your money to let you put your dick in them.

Now that that's off my chest i CAN get behind the statement that you shouldn't condemn someone for what line of work they choose to pursue. I know a girl who's done model "missions", or whatever you call them, before and her truth was that she actually had really low self esteem. Most shockingly of all she's a really nice person.

"All bodies are good bodies" Yeah, i think the thread about a guy who liked fat women established that pretty well. Everyone has their own "type" so any sort of body should be good for SOMEone out there.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
astrav1 said:
museofdoom said:
Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.
And not everyone has to not call someone a slut. I think you are forgetting that this is the internet, and more importantly if a person really enjoys showing skin or having sex then they don't need someone defending them because they should be comfortable with who they are.
Just because someone is comfortable with who they are doesn't mean they can't be hurt by deliberately insulting language.

I am a women who doesn't mind showing skin and who enjoys sex. But I still find the word "slut" hurtful because of the negative connotations associated with it.

It's the difference between acknowledging that someone is gay (fine) and calling them a fag (not fine).

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Call it a childish, naive or immature ideal if you want, but i think sex should be reserved for people who actually care about each other. Otherwise you're really no better than the guy who said that women steal your money to let you put your dick in them.
That's your opinion. My personal opinion is that sex is an activity and (providing the "safe, sane and consensual" rule is followed) it's really no one else's business how often (or with who) a person chooses to have it.

My personal opinion is also that all religion is nonsense superstition. But I don't go round calling religious people names.

magicaxis

Aug 14, 2008
I never understood why people said that things like beauty pageants are sexist or discriminating. It's a contest of beauty! Does that mean a chess contest is discriminating against the stupid? The Olympics are discriminating against the obese? Geez!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
museofdoom said:
So upon reading through that thread on super models, I saw some pretty awful commentary.

There was a lot of shaming being done, and stereotypes and generalizations being thrown. So let me make some things clear.

1) Just because a woman is thin, doesn't mean she's anorexic.
2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
3)Being pretty doesn't mean they lack a personality, or kindness or intelligence.
4)There is nothing wrong with girls who make a living from modeling. If they love doing it, then that's perfectly ok!
5)A thin woman isn't any less of a woman than a woman who has curves or is larger. All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.

Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.

Sorry for ranting, I just had a lot of feelings. (and I'm not attacking men here, girls are perfectly capable of slut shaming and being sexist. It actually happens quite a bit.)
I agree so much with what you say.

Also want to add that guys have different preferences in girls, but that doesn't mean they ONLY want those types of girls either.

I also feel that most discussions on Models end up being rather mean towards people who are naturally thin (for whatever reason)... there are loads of reasons for why people look the way they look, so we should probably avoid judgement.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
That's your opinion. My personal opinion is that sex is an activity and (providing the "safe, sane and consensual" rule is followed) it's really no one else's business how often (or with who) a person chooses to have it.

My personal opinion is also that all religion is nonsense superstition. But I don't go round calling religious people names.
Well, i did say "i think". Really just stating what i think is appropriate, but i'd never even bother trying to make anyone else think like i do. I'm really just the silent judging type so i'd never actually call someone a slut out loud to slander them, but i might think it in my head :p

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DesertMummy said:
True stuff right there, however from my experience, people that are like that (not just women), are generally not very nice, or someone i'd like to spend time with. But you're right, people shouldn't be insulted for being anorexic or bulimic, that's fucking horrible.
Yeah, it's a disorder, and disorders can't be helped. It's essentially like bullying someone with downs syndrome (not quite as bad, but you see my point)

What also irritates me is when people assume someone is anorexic just because they're very skinny.

I'm an incredibly skinny individual, because I have a very fast metabolism. Seriously, I spend a lot of time scoffing snacks, and I've been known to vacuum a steak and chips, but it doesn't show. Really, if I chose to buckle down and start exercising (which I really need to do!) I'd have the body of a God :D

But yeah, some people have accused me of being slightly anorexic, and then proceeding to discriminate against me for something I'm not even doing.

Mar 9, 2010
Now this is really quite refreshing. It's nice to see someone with the same opinion as me (i.e. the right opinion) on this; especially a woman, it's more common to see women either hating them or having no feelings on it. I find the demonization of being skinny ridiculous and it's always people who are trying to make anything from 'curvy' to 'oh my god why is there a whale on my front porch' acceptable.

Models don't have to worry, though. I'll usually find them attractive and that's all anyone needs, isn't it; my approval? Of course it is.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
MetalMagpie said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

Well, i did say "i think". Really just stating what i think is appropriate, but i'd never even bother trying to make anyone else think like i do. I'm really just the silent judging type so i'd never actually call someone a slut out loud to slander them, but i might think it in my head :p
My apologies. I thought by saying you "can't get behind" calling an end to "slut shaming", you meant that you support calling people sluts. So I assumed that this was something you do.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Strazdas said:
museofdoom said:
2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
If she is doing on on her own choice (for example starving because she has a sick sense of beat) then they are bad person. Other than that i agree with you. however from my experience i have learned that stereotyping is mostly right.
How does not eating in itself make someone a bad person? Who are they hurting apart from themselves?

That said, I realise that people who deliberately eat less than they should and are not suffering from an eating disorder (or fasting for religious reasons) are probably doing it for attention. Which can certainly make someone an irritating person.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
museofdoom said:
Liquidacid23 said:
The Thinker said:
museofdoom said:
"all bodies are good bodies" basically translates to "everyone is beautiful."
I assume this is "internal beauty". Because not everyone is externally beautiful, but a lot of people have redeeming qualities.
haha that reminds me of this

That's just not a very nice comic. Fat is not synonymous with ugly.
Really? Don't whine about Cyanide and Happiness. Its one of the greatest web comics ever. That one in particular made me laugh for a good bit.

The boys who post on this forum hate women? Easy to understand why, I suppose. They're young, and haven't had any meaningful relationships yet. At their age, women are a mystery because they're too shy to actually talk to them and understand them. Understanding comes with experience.

While I think you have good intentions, your posts are coming off as preachy and self-righteous. Let the sexually frustrated teenagers objectify women on a forum. As long as its not hurting anyone directly, I personally don't see a problem.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MetalMagpie said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
MetalMagpie said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:

My apologies. I thought by saying you "can't get behind" calling an end to "slut shaming", you meant that you support calling people sluts. So I assumed that this was something you do.
Naw, i just meant that i don't think it should end because i assumed it meant putting a cloud of shame or guilt over the heads of sluts, not the modern equivalent of public flogging. Also i could never get behind ending the name calling properly because i'd still do it in my head, which would make me kind of a hypocrite. I might change my mind about that someday when i'm more grown up and supposedly will have a better understanding of the world or whatever, but it's not happening now.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
museofdoom said:
Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.
Sorry to say, but you can't just tell people to stop embracing an age-old stereotype. Guys who have sex with lots of women are called studs and girls who have sex with lots of men are called sluts. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's how society has been shaped. I agree, women have the same right to having as much sex as they like, but society will most likely be still looking at them as slutty.

Just another example of sexist sterotypes. They're not even that hard to find.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Here here! Slut shaming and fat shaming is one of the things that get's me really, really annoyed. People who do it just seem arrogant to me.

We're a very judgemental society really, some people being more judgemental than others. Everyone is held to arbitrary and often stupid standards (for every women who is shamed for being fat, there's a man who's shamed for not having a well-paying job and a child who is shamed for not having a ton of friends). It's bullshit really.