Woah Woah Woah. Okay, let's talk about women for a second.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
museofdoom said:
I got to ask, are you on some kind of crusade for the female race? I knew I remembered your avatar from the "friend zone" thread, so I clicked on your profile and you mostly just post in stuff "women" related. There isn't anything wrong with that (I'm for equality as much as the next guy!) but you seem to be focusing on JUST women.

What about male models? They're not expected to be super skinny, but they're expected to be muscular. Is that right? Should they be forced to bulk up because that's what society thinks an attractive man looks like?

What about women in the friend zone? It happens a lot more than you might think, yet your previous thread spoke as if it's only an occurrence that men have to deal with.

Let's go back to the slutty thing. Do these laws relate to men as well as women? Because the way you're talking, the slut-label regarding how much skin a person shows or how much they sleep around is only a stigma attached to women. The day old complaint that "if a man has loads of sex he's praised but if a woman does it she's a slut" doesn't hold up any more. Modern equality is a lot more present than a lot of people seem to want to admit.

I don't want to sound like I'm having a go, I just want you to take into account that men and women have the same problems. Admittedly, yes, stuff like anorexia is far more common in women than men but how many men do you think have taken steroids to improve their body for just the same reasons women develop anorexia? Always look on flip side of the coin.

TheGauntman

Dec 8, 2011
museofdoom said:
So upon reading through that thread on super models, I saw some pretty awful commentary.

There was a lot of shaming being done, and stereotypes and generalizations being thrown. So let me make some things clear.

1) Just because a woman is thin, doesn't mean she's anorexic.
2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
3)Being pretty doesn't mean they lack a personality, or kindness or intelligence.
4)There is nothing wrong with girls who make a living from modeling. If they love doing it, then that's perfectly ok!
5)A thin woman isn't any less of a woman than a woman who has curves or is larger. All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.

Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.

Sorry for ranting, I just had a lot of feelings. (and I'm not attacking men here, girls are perfectly capable of slut shaming and being sexist. It actually happens quite a bit.)
The OP of that thread asked people to comment on supermodels, then spent the rest of the thread flat out attacking posters for their opinions, the bulk of which amounted to: "I don't care for supermodels" or "they are overpaid clothes horses".

Just saying.

OT: So long as they accord me with the same basic courtesy I show them, I don't care if a woman is fat or thin, old or young, pretty or ugly. (The same goes for men, too.) I'm not saying everyone has to be supernice friends with each other, but I don't go out of my way to antagonise or judge people based on how they look or dress, and I expect the same in return.

Kelthurin

Jun 18, 2009
museofdoom said:
So upon reading through that thread on super models, I saw some pretty awful commentary.

There was a lot of shaming being done, and stereotypes and generalizations being thrown. So let me make some things clear.

2)Some women are anorexic or bulimic, and that doesn't mean they are a bad person, they are suffering terribly.
3)Being pretty doesn't mean they lack a personality, or kindness or intelligence.
4)There is nothing wrong with girls who make a living from modeling. If they love doing it, then that's perfectly ok!
5)A thin woman isn't any less of a woman than a woman who has curves or is larger. All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.

Also, while we are on the topic of women, I would like to say that people need to stop slut shaming. Like, it's a problem. People seem to think that how much skin a woman chooses to show is directly proportional to how much self respect they have. People also like to shame women who enjoy having sex. STOP IT. Girls can enjoy having sex, casual sex, kinky sex, and if they want to show boobs on the internet that's fine too. Not everyone has to uphold the same morals.

Sorry for ranting, I just had a lot of feelings. (and I'm not attacking men here, girls are perfectly capable of slut shaming and being sexist. It actually happens quite a bit.)
While I agree completely, I have to say I truly and thoroughly dislike the fashion industry and the image they promote with super-thin women modelling for them. Sometimes it feels as if they set the standard for what is considered "beautiful", and that pisses me off.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
DRes82 said:
While I think you have good intentions, your posts are coming off as preachy and self-righteous. Let the sexually frustrated teenagers objectify women on a forum. As long as its not hurting anyone directly, I personally don't see a problem.
It's hurting our community by making it a shitty place to be for women.
This is not the place for woman-bashing. I don't get why it gets a pass.

targren

May 13, 2009
museofdoom said:
targren said:
Basically, what you just said with that entire post is: "I can be a jerk and insult someone and condemn their behavior or their body type because I don't personally agree with it or find it attractive."
Actually, I didn't say it. The Constitution did.

You can condemn anything you want. I can condemn bimbos for being bimbos, you can condemn me for condemning them, and so on.

Telling me to "stop," however, puts you squarely in the wrong. You have every right to denounce my opinions. You have NO right to forbid them.

Also, just because you don't find something attractive, doesn't mean that other people don't or shouldn't.

Reading comprehension FTL.

You're the one that was trying to dictate what other people should find attractive with your item #5, not me.

The whole point of this thread was: Stop judging, be a decent human being, and be accepting of other people's behavior and physical appearance even if it doesn't line up with your own beliefs and/or moral code or suit your particular taste.
Sure. As soon as you post in this thread, explicitly, that you unconditionally accept:

A. Institutionalized rape, slavery, and genocide in Africa
B. Oppression of women in the middle east
C. The growing trend of corporatism and fascism in the Western world.

Until you do, I'll be executing my right to employ my own gift of reason to dismiss you as not knowing WTF you're talking about.

DRes82 said:
The boys who post on this forum hate women? Easy to understand why, I suppose. They're young, and haven't had any meaningful relationships yet. At their age, women are a mystery because they're too shy to actually talk to them and understand them. Understanding comes with experience.
Let's be fair. When one's older and has a good number of relationships under his belt, there's still a good chance he'll hate women. The difference he'll just have empirical justification for it! ;)

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
I've only met one person to my knowledge who has worked as a model. She's quite cool, in fact she's my girlfriend, %100 of the model's I have met have been cool. My anecdotal evidence > your anecdotal evidence.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
museofdoom said:
All women are equal and all bodies are good bodies.
Was right there with you until all that. Not everyone is equal, and not all bodies are good bodies. There are definitely bad bodies out there, and that applies to both genders. Let's not get carried away in your desire to be accepting of differences.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Phasmal said:
DRes82 said:
While I think you have good intentions, your posts are coming off as preachy and self-righteous. Let the sexually frustrated teenagers objectify women on a forum. As long as its not hurting anyone directly, I personally don't see a problem.
It's hurting our community by making it a shitty place to be for women.
This is not the place for woman-bashing. I don't get why it gets a pass.
heh, I knew I should've put a disclaimer. Women aren't the only people who get 'bashed' here. As a matter of fact, had the op not made this thread I would have never thought that it was an issue in the least. I've not seen any hate directed specifically towards women. As a matter of fact, its my experience that in game forums women are actually put on a pedestal. I know that a gamer girl is much more attractive to me than one who doesn't share my interests. Its why I married my wife. =)

Anyways, everyone gets fucked with on the internet. Men, women, gamers, gays, straights, blacks, whites, etc. If you don't have a thick skin, then its definitely not a place you should frequent.

Woman-bashing in particular doesn't get a 'pass'. Its the internet. Anyone can say what they damn well please, and they will. Is there a rule for that?

targren said:
Let's be fair. When one's older and has a good number of relationships under his belt, there's still a good chance he'll hate women. The difference he'll just have empirical justification for it! ;)
True, but its fine to let them believe otherwise until then. I know that illusion made high school and college a lot easier to handle.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
DRes82 said:
If you haven't seen any hate directed at women here you probably haven't been looking very hard, it's not hard to find. And I guess if you are a lady it kind of sticks out.
And I am constantly getting told how revered gamer girls are whilst all I get is harrassment and `Shut up you're not special` (not that I try to be or think I am).

And I wasn't talking about the internet; I was talking specifically about here.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Spot1990 said:
zehydra said:
This is just anecdotal evidence, but I find that most of the "slut shaming" comes from other women, not from men.

Agreed it's something that needs to be stopped, but I think you'll find that many men would be on board with putting an end to it. It's women that need to get it.
Really? Because on these forums I see a lot of it coming from guys. I think it's coming from the insane amount of white knighting you see nerds/geeks do. "If I show women what I really care about is their personality then they'll have to like me... But what's the best way to do that... Oh I know, straight up insulting any woman with the gall to be physically attractive."

It's like most things these kinds of guys do. When I say these kinds of guys I don't mean nerds/geeks, I'm talking about "nice guys", not guys who happen to be nice, but "nice guys". Y'know, the guys who are actually hateful misogynistic assholes who hope if they listen to a girls problems she'll fall in love with them, nay not hope, feel they deserve it.
I hate to break it to you, but most of the "nice guys" that you've described are nerds/geeks

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Phasmal said:
DRes82 said:
If you haven't seen any hate directed at women here you probably haven't been looking very hard, it's not hard to find. And I guess if you are a lady it kind of sticks out.
And I am constantly getting told how revered gamer girls are whilst all I get is harrassment and `Shut up you're not special` (not that I try to be or think I am).

And I wasn't talking about the internet; I was talking specifically about here.
It does get pretty tiresome, though most of it goes over my head now. I always remind myself that the demographic here is largely teenage boys, and their attitude towards women tends to improve when everyone (boys and girls) grows up a bit.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
museofdoom said:
There are several (bullshit) reasons for it:

1. Guys believe that shunning the professionally gorgeous will paint them as the kind of guy that doesn't go for superficial beauty... so, y'know, hopefully others will do the same. It's about their own insecurity, particularly in those that feel their own looks are "below average."

2. It's a common belief that if someone is really good at one thing, it must mean they're really bad at another (ergo pretty = jerk). Alternately, the belief is that being really good at something means you "sold your soul" in some other aspect of life (ergo thin = bulimic). It's our way of making the world fair in our minds.

3. It's an over-application of the "real women have curves" logic. Yes, real women do. And some real women don't. And some real women have large noses, while other real women have small ones. Real women have bodies of all sorts.

4. If I'm not personally attracted to it, it is objectively bad. Anyone who is attracted to it is either lying, scheming, or stupid. (In fairness, this goes the other way, too. It's for some reason not okay for a person to say, "I'm just not attracted to men/women I consider fat," which is why people have to cook up other reasons to explain why they aren't attracted.)

So the problem is on all sides. People just need to be able to accept that people are attracted to different things. Hollywood, et al, will aim for whatever they believe to be the most common preferences, because that's where the money is.

It's okay to not be attracted to big people. It's okay to not be attracted to small people. It's okay for me to hate onions and for everyone else to love 'em. In the event that there is misinformation, bias, or selfish thinking behind a preference, that's for that person to deal with -- and it's not there every time, so there's no reason to villainize those whose preferences differ from our own.

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
museofdoom said:
Like, it's a problem.
Trying really hard to resist the urge on this...
museofdoom said:
The whole point of this thread was: Stop judging, be a decent human being, and be accepting of other people's behavior and physical appearance even if it doesn't line up with your own beliefs and/or moral code or suit your particular taste.
No, yes, no and no. I will judge anyone and everyone I feel so inclined to. I will call people out on their idiotic behavior. I will stop people from acting on bullshit behavior. I will call someone fat, because they are fat (a spade being a spade and all). I don't have to be accepting of anything beyond the reality they choose to impose on themselves. If someone is not prepared to accept the consequences of their actions and the reactions to their choices, then they should not take or have them.

One can only be disgraced if you are ashamed of yourself and your actions. It is not shaming to call a slut a slut. If they feel ashamed of it, that is their own problem, not mine. I do not feel ashamed for anyone calling me an asshole when I don't consider their emotional well being in my responses.

Definitions do not inherently posses condemnations; they are merely descriptors. If I call someone a fat, lazy, idiotic prostitute; it's because she's 200lbs, doesn't do anything for work outside sex, doesn't use condoms and exchanges sex for money. Yet somehow I'm the insulting one? Well, wouldn't be the first time this thread has demonstrated irony.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
scorptatious said:
According to some people super models are glorified mannequins.
Daystar Clarion said:
I was one of the guys stating that supermodels were mannequins with a pulse :D
Think about it for a second. They hold no facial expressions, don't speak, and do nothing but demonstrate clothing in various scenarios i.e. what a mannequin does. Don't get me wrong, my own job is much more demeaning and much lower paying, but the simple fact of the matter is that it's an apt comparison to what they do. Hate the system, not the messenger. I bet these women are incredibly interesting people, but you couldn't prove it by me because I don't know any models personally and they rarely get the opportunity to express their individuality through their profession. It's unfortunate.

museofdoom said:
As a lifelong heterosexual, I concur. Men, stop it. Women, also stop it. I don't use terms like sluts or whores and it annoys me when women are called these things in private. Men, it's counter productive. You like sex with women? Stop telling them it's a bad thing. Women, when you slut shame, it's more a reflection on self hatred and your need to put down others to elevate yourself (possibly because you don't enjoy sex yourself). Makes you sound like a 7th grader, too.

Sex is nice. If you don't like it, stop having it, but don't put down other sex enthusiasts because you don't like it. It's why I don't post on My Little Pony boards - it's just not for me.

museofdoom

Dec 17, 2011
DRes82 said:
I'm not trying to be self righteous, or preachy but I can see how I'm coming off that way. I have a lot of feelings on the subject of objectifying woman. The thing is, there ARE women in this community (such as myself) who probably don't like seeing their gender being dehumanized or talked badly about or being talked about like we're another species. It's irritating.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Cant turn a whore into a housewife, folks. Dont call me sexist for realizing that.
Truer words have rarely been spoken. For my money I don't see why anyone would want to honestly. When a whore leaves she just takes a few hundred bucks. When a housewife leaves she takes half your worldly possessions and then slaps ya for alimony and a pile of legal bills to suck what's left away. Whores FTW!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
DevilWithaHalo said:
One can only be disgraced if you are ashamed of yourself and your actions. It is not shaming to call a slut a slut. If they feel ashamed of it, that is their own problem, not mine. I do not feel ashamed for anyone calling me an asshole when I don't consider their emotional well being in my responses.

Definitions do not inherently posses condemnations; they are merely descriptors. If I call someone a fat, lazy, idiotic prostitute; it's because she's 200lbs, doesn't do anything for work outside sex, doesn't use condoms and exchanges sex for money. Yet somehow I'm the insulting one? Well, wouldn't be the first time this thread has demonstrated irony.
What do you personally gain by calling people names? People can feel ashamed of themselves and their actions without you trying to deliberately hurt their feelings. And when they aren't ashamed of their actions, they just see a guy attempting to deliberately hurt their feelings. Not only that, but people who aren't the intended targets might hear what you say and feel a sense of shame for things they haven't even done. It's just not nice.

(Insert counter argument about how "I don't have to be nice!!!!" "I don't have to be politically correct!")

Saving some time. No, you don't have to be nice to people. But people who aren't nice make things slightly blander, the world less interesting, and people not as willing to go out for fear of running into individuals such as yourself. It's makes it harder to reach out to people. As I said, it's unproductive.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
What happened to "sticks and stones..."? Serious question. I dont go out of my way to insult people but still...
"Sticks and stones" was meant to reassure/empower those who are forced to endure taunting and ridicule. It's not really intended to reassure/empower people to be free with insults.

It's kind of the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing. A certain demographic seems to labor under the misunderstanding that "Freedom of Speech" means "Freedom to be an enormous asshole, free of all consequence or censure".