Wolfenstein: The New Order Requires 50GB HD Space, Core i7 CPU - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Wolfenstein: The New Order Requires 50GB HD Space, Core i7 CPU - Update

Wolfenstein: The New Order may have some of the heftiest system requirements we've seen yet.

Update: Bethesda has updated the official system requirements [http://www.bethblog.com/2014/05/01/system-requirements-for-wolfenstein/] page on its blog, stating that requirements "are based on the game being a next-gen experience running at 60fps. These are the system requirements to deliver the PC game as it was intended to be experienced." So, it looks like these are more recommended specs rather than minimum specs, and you'll probably be able to run the game with something less powerful than an i7.

Original Story: Planning on sinking your teeth into Wolfenstein: The New Order when it launches this month? Well, if you're a PC gamer, you had better have a beefy machine and an excess of hard disk space, as the official system requirements have the game have just been announced, and they are rather hefty. Gamers will need a minimum Core i7 CPU, and a whopping 50GB of free space. What you are now hearing is the sounds of millions of SSD users crying out in agony.

The rest of the required PC specs are a little more forgiving, asking for just a GeForce 460/Radeon 6850, 4GB RAM, and a 64-bit installation of Windows 7 or 8. "If your PC matches these requirements, then you're good to go!" says Bethesda.

As for console gamers, well, I'm afraid you guys had also best prepare your hard drives for Wolfenstein: The New Order. The PS4 and Xbox One versions will require a minimum of 8GB of hard drive space, and 47GB for a total install. The PS3 version, meanwhile, takes up 17GB as a download and 8GB for the disc version, whereas the Xbox 360 version will require an 8GB install and will ship on four discs.

While the massive install size is annoying, it seems to fast be coming the standard these days. What's really inexplicable is the Core i7 requirement - this is a game that runs on the PS3 and Xbox 360, which certainly have much slower processors than that.

Wolfenstein: The New Order will be released on May 20.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wolfenstein-specifications-ask-for-an-i7-processor-xbox-one-and-ps4-install-sizes-also-revealed/1100-6419355/]

JustCallMeJonny

Oct 26, 2013
Four disks!? I'm assuming nobody has gotten their hands on it yet to give a rough estimate on play time, right? Because when I hear "ship on four disks", I immediately think of 100+ hour JRPGs from the PS1.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Okay guys, *puts on programmer hat*. This is called resource bloat. When machines are capable of running the bloated version of the software, less and less time is spent on optimization.

In the case of this headline: broadband is expanding, and machines ship with TB drives like it's nothing. And because the game is primarily console, there's only a small slice of a small slice that are actually driven away. So nobody cares to get those file sizes down.

And *puts on project management hat* it's the right decision. It's very unlikely in the cost/benefit analysis that the extra effort is worth it.

Now, for the req specs: those numbers are just a catch-all C-Y-A. Put it up there so all complaints about it running slowly on low settings are "but you're running below minimum." Besides, someone is going to make a properly minimum-spec .ini / system analysis for you soon anyway. PC gamers love doing that.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
MCerberus said:
Besides, someone is going to make a properly minimum-spec .ini / system analysis for you soon anyway. PC gamers love doing that.
And that right there is why they continue to get away with it. I swear if it weren't for the rather amazing and impressive mod communities I've come across I'd not be able to be a gamer this gen, can't stand the Xbone and Playstation has decided us Canadians need a Rambone up the ass and pay an extra fee for the consoles AND for the new games, so fuck them too. But, that's grossly off topic.

OT; I recall another game recently announcing those specs, it was quickly argued that they're just poorly optimizing, just like was pointed out here, already. So, I'm just going to wait this one out, might not even bother with it because of its sheer size =/

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
My reaction when they told me that COD Ghosts was 50 GB was that those in charge of storage management and compression were clearly on drugs. Apparently someone has sent over those drugs to Machine Games because 50 GB for a game like this seems absolutely ridiculous.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
How does a game that looks this blotchy with muddy textures need so much space? Did they splurge on their animation budget instead? (because I'd actually be okay with a well animated game. Killzone 2 has muddy textures but the character animations are incredible)

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
What you are now hearing is the sounds of millions of SSD users crying out in agony.
Who installs games on an SSD? I thought the point was to get the smallest one possible and use it as a boot drive. Getting one large enough to hold more than a few games would cost about half as much as my entire PC and really wouldn't provide performance boost to justify the cost.

OT: yeaaaa I don't believe it. My i5 may be horrendously outdated but there is no way in hell it won't be enough for this game. Might not play it maxed out, but then again I only spent ~$1000 on my PC so I don't expect to play most games maxed out anyway.

As for the HDD space requirement, that seems to be the standard now. Either invest in a several terabyte drive or go indie because 25GB+ seems to be the standard for mainstream games now.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
major_chaos said:
Who installs games on an SSD? I thought the point was to get the smallest one possible and use it as a boot drive. Getting one large enough to hold more than a few games would cost about half as much as my entire PC and really wouldn't provide performance boost to justify the cost.
I do :p I like the shorter loading speed it provides in games that require a lot of loading, or long loads. Like people complaining about Duke Nuken Forever (Yes yes I know not the best example, don't judge!) take forevert to load, it took nada time for me.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Charcharo said:
It.Will.Not.Require.An.i7 CPU.
It WONT.It will run 1080p Ultra settings with AA on an i5 and it wont even need the full power of an i5.
Yes, I am 100% certain of that. No game ever made so far actually validated an i7. And Wolfenstein WONT be that game. Hell... I barely know games that validate the i5...
As for the rest of the requirements: They said that is for 1080p 60 fps. So yeah, those are pretty much above recommended. It will work just fine on lesser hardware.
Source:
http://www.bethblog.com/2014/05/01/system-requirements-for-wolfenstein/

The 50GB space though, no idea.
I bet it's just an advertisement from intel to move i7's. The same thing was with TW: Shogun 2.

For the last couple of years games listed i5's and quadcore Phenom II's as minimum, yet they all ran just fine @ 60+ fps on old Core 2 duo's.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's Bethesda. They have had PC optimization woes since, well, since they started making PC games. So yeah the game will require more than what it should, even money says it will have the same stability issues as all of their games.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
major_chaos said:
What you are now hearing is the sounds of millions of SSD users crying out in agony.

OT: yeaaaa I don't believe it. My i5 may be horrendously outdated but there is no way in hell it won't be enough for this game. Might not play it maxed out, but then again I only spent ~$1000 on my PC so I don't expect to play most games maxed out anyway.

As for the HDD space requirement, that seems to be the standard now. Either invest in a several terabyte drive or go indie because 25GB+ seems to be the standard for mainstream games now.
You're not serious, are you? Loading games off an SSD is considerably faster than loading them off a disk drive...

If you haven't tried loading games off your SSD you really should. It will change your life.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
getting real tired of all these new games requiring 50 GB of space, thats up to 5 times what a game last gen needed, sure technology advanced, but didnt so any kind of compression?

anyways i cant run it so theres no point arguing, gotta upgrade my machine soon

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well there goes any chance of me grabbing the game when it releases, I know I've still got to buy more and new RAM, an HDD that isn't energy saving (thanks ex roomie) and an SSD because I'm tired of having a newish slug of a desktop along with a new CPU because a 5-6 year old i7 isn't cutting it any more.

This means more saving and more having to wait just to meet a requirement of one friggin game, this is why I can't always be assed with current PC gaming, I don't like having to upgrade parts or playing forced catch up.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I'm not liking that the new generation is making developers lazy as shit when it comes to compression and optimization. Just look at CoD Ghosts and Titanfall for the prime examples of "It's Next-gen, therefore it's allowed even if it looks like a last-gen game!"

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Didn't they optimize the game so that most of the graphics processing would take place on the GPU? That's the only reason I can think of, offhand, for needing more CPU power....and if that's the case, the devs aren't doing their jobs properly. >_>
Well besides bloat as others have stated before, there is could be AI, physics, and other simulations that could require more firepower in that department that isn't taken care of the GPU normally.