Wolfenstein: The New Order Requires 50GB HD Space, Core i7 CPU - Update

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Bethesda also claimed that you needed a minmum of a GTX 460 to run Dishonoured. Numerous people have had that game running spiffingly on 8800GTX cards.

So, yeah, I'm willing to bet my PC (GTX 550 Ti, i5 2500k, 8GB RAM) would be able to run it fine on low settings. Though I'll probably be upgrading this year anyway.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Are there any AAA developers that give a shit about good code anymore?

Its getting beyond a joke.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Given the difference in size between the console and PC versions, presumably the only reason for the increase in drive space is higher resolution textures. I really don't see why anyone would consider this such a problem. Given how cheap storage space is (you can get 4TB for not much over £100, and probably $100 in the US considering how screwed we tend to get over here), storing them uncompressed usually makes much more sense than having to use the processing power to process them every time they're loaded. Far from being bloat or bad programming, it's pretty much the exact opposite.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
So if you installed both Titanfall and New Order, and lets just say Ghosts as well, you basically used up 150GB for what is just three games (probably even more if you count in any huge updates). Pretty hectic if you think about it.

Thank goodness physical copies are still a thing if this is the direction PC gaming is heading into, my tiny 4 meg line isn't equipped to download such gargantuan sizes yet.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
CriticKitten said:
But do you honestly believe that it's any of those things? Do keep in mind the company in question is Bethesda.
Seeing as it requires a 64 bit OS, I would say the chances of them loading a lot into the RAM is very likely there will happen some more CPU bound stuff.
Although this might just be inflated beyond reason, or well Bethesda programming :p

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
No I don't need an i7 Bethesda..my i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz will do just fine thank you.

Also...is the game so big that they require 50gigs? Because I've been having some space issues. Guess I'll have to delete a few games to be able to install this game.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
50gigs for a Single Player only game? Hopefully that means it's a long game, not just a pretty one.
Prepare to be disappointed. It's a first person shooter, at best you're looking at 8-10 hours of gameplay.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. just like titanfall that also required 50gb. and i even downloaded it from origin but thank god the connection from origin is good and it was downloaded in 2 days. well, to me thats fast.
well, im still not 100% i will get this game. have to see how i feel about it once its out.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
this reminds me.....*digs out wolfenstine 2009* mmm double enemy hit points make head shots more lethal and turn heavy troopers into big daddys HP wise at 150 HP a weak spot they take forever to kill, while tweaking the weapons and upgrades a bit. *evil grin* A shame the SDK did not come out for it but at least you can edit the script some.

George Superguin

Apr 19, 2013
To think I was actually excited for this game; 50GB is total bullshit. Especially since it's 8GB on last-gen, meaning that that's 42GB of extra-HD graphics (that a lot of low-end PC gamers aren't going to use anyway) and MAYBE some slightly more advanced AI.
I'm not one of those people who complains about length in relation to cost (hell, I got The Stanley Parable for 15 bucks and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made), but based on the fact that it's going to take up 50 gigs, this had better be a damn long game.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
The 50Gig probably means that something somewhere has been left uncompressed al la, titanfalls sound.

Which most likely will be flaunted as "extra quality" but really means "We CBA to compress anything"

Hell, I would place money on the Witcher 3 not needing 50 gbs and that's going to be better graphically and in scope.

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
You know, with these increasingly ridiculous requirements for next-gen games, I think I will just stick to indie games on the PC.

Even if my i5 could run it no problem, the internet where I live sucks, and there's no way I will download 50GB on Steam. It would probably take a week.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
otakon17 said:
Adam Jensen said:
50gigs for a Single Player only game? Hopefully that means it's a long game, not just a pretty one.
Prepare to be disappointed. It's a first person shooter, at best you're looking at 8-10 hours of gameplay.
Id Tech5 Engine as used in Rage, you have to love how it blows up texture size and pops in, when you look at it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hahahahaha... no.
Compress your assets properly. Other developers manage to do it, too.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Can people just please stop assuming that higher CPU requirement = more advanced AI?
AI is among the least taxing things a CPU has to handle in a game. Even an extremely advanced and diverse combat AI would still not use a lot of CPU power in comparison what it would take just to do some, or perhaps even one, of its animations.

I believe Mr. Young explains things better than I could:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/experienced-points/11190-Next-gen-AI-and-Next-gen-BS.2

My guess for what could possibly tax the CPU to such a degree as to warrant these specs would be that the game keeps a ridiculous amount of physics calculations going at all times, and the bloated size being caused by them just not bothering compress anything.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Perversely, I have an i7. A first-generation i7, sure, but an i7.

What I don't have is Windows 7. Oops.

Oh, well...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
major_chaos said:
What you are now hearing is the sounds of millions of SSD users crying out in agony.
Who installs games on an SSD? I thought the point was to get the smallest one possible and use it as a boot drive. Getting one large enough to hold more than a few games would cost about half as much as my entire PC and really wouldn't provide performance boost to justify the cost.
I install some games on an SSD for the sake of expedient loading and such. Skyrim and Civ 5 for example take eons to load without the SSD, Civ in particular takes the piss. Commonly played things like Payday 2 also reside on my SSD, which is a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO for the record, so there's a bit of space to play games from.

FFXIV also does weird things when not on the C drive (or when you my documents is not in the default location) and so do a few older games.

Wolfenstein is not SSD material though it's going straight to the HDD, particularly with an install size that big, which is fine tbh 50GB is a drop in a lake when 2TB drives are so cheap and I have many lying around.

Edit: In fact I've been using a Seagate Barracuda 2TB as a coaster for a few months.

The i7 is bs though nobody needs an i7 for games, an i5 or hex-core AMD processor will do any gaming task just fine and then you has more for graphics.