Wolfenstein: The New Order Review - I Know What I Reich

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Wolfenstein: The New Order Review - I Know What I Reich

Guns. Explosions. Nazis. Robots. Yeah, that'll do.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The general gist I got from the review is "Not particularly mind blowing, but still a damn good time" Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper. I can't really afford full priced retail games right now. *Looks down at new XL 3DS* this thing was expensive.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
King Whurdler said:
SnakeoilSage said:
Gennle'men. We are here to kill nazzees.
And here I thought I was the only one who thought he sounded like Aldo Raine.

OT: Good review for what looks like a good game. I'll probably pick this up when I get my next paycheck.

Something that definitely piques my interest though... if the game is set during the 60's in England, and features German covers of popular songs, does that mean We'll be able to experience the German versions the Beatles did for a couple of their songs?
Because that would be amazing.
Check out their Soundcloud, [https://soundcloud.com/neumondrecordings/] if you havn't already.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
erttheking said:
The general gist I got from the review is "Not particularly mind blowing, but still a damn good time" Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper. I can't really afford full priced retail games right now. *Looks down at new XL 3DS* this thing was expensive.
After what I played I was really enjoying the overall tone of the story and characters, the voice acting is really well done (plenty of german and some polish). Blazkowicz felt like a very human and simple character (he enjoys killing nazis, its his thing) that worked very well with the rest of the game (what I played at least).

The biggest problem I had is how the levels sometime feel a bit disjointed, one moment you are blazing through a nazi checkpoint where someone mentions getting inside a train and the screen fades to black to suddenly show you inside some random nazi filled train getting coffee out of all things (the part of that one trailer).

EDIT: Also the menu theme is great, it starts strong but then it slows down to a very melancholic melody (in a way its like the game where one moment you are blasting your way through nazis and then have a more personal moment with the loss of a friend).

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I like your reviews jim. I was glad you took the gig and set them up this way.

--

I became interested in wolfenstein just the other day, I wasn't really cognizant of its existence. I haven't been playing shooters lately, heck, at least 3 years. As such, I can completely ignore everything about modern shooter conventions and have a good time.

Question is, if you had skipped out on shooters for years, and had a nice update going into a rig this week, would you want to do wolfenstein, or maybe take up some bioshock infinite instead?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
thiosk said:

--

I became interested in wolfenstein just the other day, I wasn't really cognizant of its existence. I haven't been playing shooters lately, heck, at least 3 years. As such, I can completely ignore everything about modern shooter conventions and have a good time.

Question is, if you had skipped out on shooters for years, and had a nice update going into a rig this week, would you want to do wolfenstein, or maybe take up some bioshock infinite instead?
I'd certainly go with Wolfenstein from what I played. Bioshock Infinite seems to be very hit or miss, it may be the best game you play from 2013 or it may be the game you might as well flush down the toilet. With Wolfenstein you are probably going to enjoy it even if you end up liking Infinite more.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I'm quite enjoying the game. The voice acting is spot on. The graphics are half decent on PC, nothing mind blowing though. The stealth mechanic is ok, not fantastic. Killing Nazis again really is the pull point here. The designs for the future(past?) Nazis is fantastic and Death Head is quite well done. The 'action movie' feel mixed in with a serious overtone is sometimes quite disjointed but i do like the fact that MachineGames were willing to broach the subject.

All in all (so far) good game, well worth the price paid.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
thiosk said:

--

Infinite is a story-driven game with some first person shooter elements that are serviceable, Wolfenstein seems to be a first person shooter set on to deliver a fun thrill-ride. I would imagine that it's really about how much you might value narrative over derpherpery, or at least whatever mood you find yourself in.

Wouldn't skip out on Bioshock though. Even if you don't get it now, you should at some point.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Sounds like fun, but I won't be playing it, because I live in Germany. I'm not particularly bothered by the censorship of 'Nazi' (even though it's dumb and patronising) but forcing me to use the sub-standard German dub relegates it to the Not On Your Nelly pile.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Impulsively pre-ordered this yesterday after just realising it is released today. Seems like it wasn't a bad decision after all.
As i only currently have a 360 for gaming...does that render my Doom 4 beta key pointless?

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Eh, I'll probably play it somewhere down the line, if I can find a way of getting it cheap and beating the censorship cordon around my country.
I had to smirk when I realized that the heavy troopers really do look veeeeery similar to Warhammer 40.000's Space Marines in terms of armour design. A fitting comparison if I ever saw one, and I tip my hat to the devs in case it was a deliberate nod.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
think i will pass on it. the last wolfenstein was poor and this doesnt seem to be any better either in my view. a bit sick of the WW2 and nazi stuff anyway. already not particular happy with the nazi zombies in south park but at least they are not the main enemies.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I'm looking forward to seeing how uncomfortable this game makes me, I've always wondered what a game that actually portrayed Nazis as Nazis would be like.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
... the cutscene compression is noticeable
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Shouldn't this be avoidable on a Blu-Ray? It just seems completely insane when the in-game graphics are actually better than the cutscene graphics. If that's going to be the case, why even bother using pre-rendered cutscenes? Maybe the PC version won't have this problem since you don't have to include the entire game on a single disk, or any disk at all.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well if it wasnt for Transistor also coming out today, id be all over it.

Itll probalby be 50% off in the Steam Wallet Rape of the Summer Season anyway.