Wolfenstein: The New Order Rocks "House of the Rising Sun" Launch Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wolfenstein: The New Order Rocks "House of the Rising Sun" Launch Trailer

Wolfenstein: The New Order is less that one week away, and you know what that means! (It means it's time to watch the launch trailer.)

I am cautiously optimistic - very cautiously optimistic - about Wolfenstein: The New Order. It looks like a solid shooter, but that's hardly remarkable these days, and it's not like Bethesda can't afford technical competence. What has my attention is the focus on character and setting that have dominated the trailers I've seen so far: B.J. Blazkowicz and the supporting cast of characters look like they might be an engaging bunch of folks, as opposed to mere cardboard cutouts with "good" or "evil" stamped on them.

That's probably an optimistic view, but I'm an optimistic guy, and this new launch trailer doesn't do anything to dampen my enthusiasm. Plenty of stuff blows up, but there's an awful lot of talking, too, and while much of it is pure cliche, the possibility that there might be a story behind all those explosions that's actually worth paying attention to is positively intriguing. I have no doubt that the Wolfenstein: The New Order will be a competent shooter, but I really hope it aims higher than that.

Wolfenstein: The New Order comes out on May 20 for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Everything I see about this game makes me think it'll be even better than I'd previously thought. If nothing else, their marketing is fantastic.

The game looks vibrant and fun and it doesn't take itself too seriously, unlike pretty much every shooter since Bulletstorm, which is all kinds of nice to see. I'm really looking forward to this and I hope it lives up to at least the style with which it's presenting itself.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Certainly looks about a billion times better than the 2009 game. I just hope that the PC version has an option for gun size, because holy balls those guns are massive.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i dont know if its any good (tough i certainly hope so) but i really dig these trailers, specially all the alternate history scenes each one of them has

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
I hate to be negative here, but I really hope there aren't as many "cinematics" as the trailer implies. I really want this game to be good, not another linear showoff of "setpieces" that will only make me go over to GoG and download Duke Nukem again.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008

Even if it doesnt live up to the expectations it just seems the perfect setting for an ego shooter. I havent killed virtual nazis for so long, I am feeling like replaying The Saboteur (or simply Return to Castle Wolfenstein)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Well, I doubt that it can possibly be better than Shadow Warrior (no shooter can), but it does look like a lot of fun. Killing Nazis never goes out of style. That's amazing.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Well, I doubt that it could possibly be better than Shadow Warrior (no shooter can), but it does look like a lot of fun, regardless. Killing Nazis never goes out of style. That's amazing.
Eh, I would posit that Borderlands was a better shooter than Shadow Warrior (though only if you play as Krieg IMO). That's the only one I can think of though. Shadow Warrior's easily Flying Wild Hog's best outing, and it's one of my favorite games ever.

Aug 1, 2010
Well fuck it, I'm going to get hype. I know it probably won't be nearly as good as it looks, but damn does it look good.

The music, the gameplay the style, the story, the people that made it, it just looks really great.

If nothing else, it has huge aspirations. I just hope the devs had the time, money, and skill to follow through.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
They had me at duel-wielding LMG's. Hopefully, you'll be able to carry a full arsenal of weapons instead of just two.

One can hope.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Brian Tams said:
They had me at duel-wielding LMG's. Hopefully, you'll be able to carry a full arsenal of weapons instead of just two.

One can hope.
Lol, after all the other shit in that trailer it would be very, very strange for them to decide we needed a realistic inventory system.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Certainly looks about a billion times better than the 2009 game. I just hope that the PC version has an option for gun size, because holy balls those guns are massive.
I suspect the "dual-LMG" clips are the character piloting one of those mechsuit things he's fighting.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
BlumiereBleck said:
I'll be honest. I only want this game for the soundtrack.
trailer songs aren't always in the actual game..that said..

usuing awsome songs in trailers can mess with the brain in funny ways

like Evolves "happy hunting" trailer, it makes me want the game for some reason

EDIT: my only nitpick is our player charachter looks to have brown hair..while he looked blond in older promo stuff...that is disapointing...and only a complaint one could have from a videogame

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Dat version of House of the Rising Sun..

You know what, I don't tend to buy in to trailers that much but holy hell was that one doing it for me. That said, I'll still wait and see what the reviews say. Kinda hoping it plays like Wolfenstein 3D - as in allowing exploration will still being linear. Though the amount of cut scenes do give me pause for thought too.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
josemlopes said:

Even if it doesnt live up to the expectations it just seems the perfect setting for an ego shooter. I havent killed virtual nazis for so long, I am feeling like replaying The Saboteur (or simply Return to Castle Wolfenstein)
Are there very much expectations surrounding this? I've barely heard of this game and given how mediocre the last Wolfenstein game was, I wasn't expecting anything great from this one. I am pleasantly surprised by this trailer. It looks pretty good.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
RedDeadFred said:
josemlopes said:
snip

Are there very much expectations surrounding this? I've barely heard of this game and given how mediocre the last Wolfenstein game was, I wasn't expecting anything great from this one. I am pleasantly surprised by this trailer. It looks pretty good.
Well, it really depends on what you want of a shooter, me being a big fan of Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Timesplitters the whole "killing nazis with future technology with weapons that barely have any recoil but pack a punch" is high on my wish list.

The game still has a lot of secrets (dont know if they are of good quality but the one shown in one trailer was nice) and seems to really know what it wants to be (you can duel wield snipers).

So its not going to be a game for everyone but but I really bet its going to be the game for me.