Wolfenstein: The New Order's Huge Download Frightens Pirates, Just Not Enough

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Wolfenstein: The New Order's Huge Download Frightens Pirates, Just Not Enough

43GB???? *hurk* I'm going to Steam!

"I have to uninstall like 10 games to play this shit!!" moans one potential pirate, eying the 43GB download for Wolfenstein: The New Order [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11468-Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-Review-I-Know-What-I-Reich]. Bethesda's supersized title seems to have been one side of fried Nazi too many for some pirates, particularly since - in the very early hours after launch - there were far more people wanting to download than there were illicit sources. What under other circumstances might have taken a few hours instead lasted a day or more.

"I was gonna get this torrent but I saw the size and how long it would take me to download it, I said fuck it I'm getting it from Steam," said one pirate, a view that was echoed by many others. When legitimate sources like Steam provide a more convenient option, it'd seem many are fairweather freebooters, willing to jump ship as soon as a 2 hour download time starts to look enticing.

That said, Wolfenstein still became the most popular game torrent last week. More than 100,000 people endured the download time - it got better as more seeders appeared - to pirate Bethesda's shooter. While inconvenience clearly had a deterrent effect, that wasn't enough to keep the pirates away from Wolfenstein: the New Order.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/huge-wolfenstein-download-infuriates-but-doesnt-deter-pirates-140526/]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Good lord. With a 75GB data cap each month that's even too big for me to buy it on Steam.

Digital-only future my ass.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
How does this make any sense? It's not like it'd be smaller on steam. Heck steam even uses torrent to accelerate the dl.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, to be fair we have been watching this situation with software download sizes and internet infrastructure for a while now. I've got the feeling that for truly massive games we probably will still prefer physical media for installation over digital download unless the retail business for games completely tanks and we all have to go for online orders.

For my Vita I actually look up the sizes of the game downloads and determine if I want a physical copy or not. I've got Deception: blood ties and Gravity Rush as hard copies while Muramasa: Rebirth and Persona 3 Portable are both Digital.

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
I believe that AP refers to public trackers where ppl leach but don't seed (due to low up speed/beeing greedy) what gives VERY slow speeds. On private trackers you don't have such problems because everyone want's to seed (they have to as not to get kicked from the tracker) and you get usually your full DL speed (bar some really sick connections). Steam has dedicated servers that also get a good DL speed so it's better to pay than wait few days (or more with such a big download) on a public tracker.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
McKitten said:
How does this make any sense? It's not like it'd be smaller on steam. Heck steam even uses torrent to accelerate the dl.
Steam tends to have stable download speeds and isn't subject to seeders dropping out.

Of course this isn't a perfect solution, as [user]Cowabungaa[/user]'s plight shows.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Good lord. With a 75GB data cap each month that's even too big for me to buy it on Steam.

Digital-only future my ass.
I know that feel. But for me, in 1 weeks time I go from 200GB split between 4 people, to getting naked broadband, ie unlimited data. I live in NZ and these plans only just have started arriving now, they probably have existed in the UK and States for years and years.

Unlimited data is the only way forward that I see.

Ed130 The Vanguard said:
McKitten said:
Steam tends to have stable download speeds and isn't subject to seeders dropping out.
Its not even that, Steam has BETTER speeds than even the best torrents.

SWIM(Someone who isnt me) who lives in my house torrents a lot, and they tell me torrenting say the new Game of Thrones episode, tops around 1mb/s. For Steam for me, I get around 1.5mb/s without any jumps or delays.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Nonsense. You can't trust people who comment on pirate websites. They all probably downloaded it. Some of them just want to appear honest. Maybe it wasn't a pirate at all. Maybe it was one of the developers.
If you don't want something for free, you probably don't want to pay for it either. I didn't buy the game because it's too fuckin' huge. I have no interest in playing a 50Gb 10h FPS. I might get it some day if I'm able to find a retail copy.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I wonder if anyone understands that the reason so many games are coming out at 50gb is because they no longer have to compress them on console now that every console uses Blu-ray for on-disc storage, which means large download sizes for games like this, Titanfall, and so on, is basically down to lazy ports.

There's no reason why a game like this has to be 43gb. In today's ISP climate, it's ludicrous to expect people will tolerate it; piracy or not, especially when you factor in how many people choose to game on SSDs (which uncompressed assets would benefit from running on, Gift of the Magi style, "I traded my small space for uncompressed assets!" "I traded my harddrive capacity for loading performance!")

Penguinplayer

Mar 31, 2009
Karloff said:
2 hour download time
Haha, as if. It took me 10 hours to download Transistor and it was only 3 GB. Brazilian internet is shit, so I'm screwed unless I buy physical which will cost R$200,00 (Around 90-100 dolaroos) which I'm not willing to for Wolfenstein.

The Digital-Only Future looks darker and darker.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Slow news day.
Also I find that well seeded torrents are universally faster than steam, then again steam is more convenient in general. I just realised I haven't pirated a game in.....ever.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
yeah it's not like it stopped them either
some group made a repack that consists of the game but with replaced textures and CGI cutscenes, and uses the ones from the PS3 version
fuckers' getting crafty now

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
McKitten said:
steam download time is WAAAYY shorter, trust me i know

plus is cheap as shit and convenient, pirating sucks ass compared to steam and gog.com, is just not worth it

teh_Canape said:
yeah it's not like it stopped them either
some group made a repack that consists of the game but with replaced textures and CGI cutscenes, and uses the ones from the PS3 version
fuckers' getting crafty now
i gotta give them credit for that, hell bethesda couldve done that!, kinda like skyrim and the free high res texture pack

Penguinplayer said:
Karloff said:
2 hour download time
Haha, as if. It took me 10 hours to download Transistor and it was only 3 GB. Brazilian internet is shit, so I'm screwed unless I buy physical which will cost R$200,00 (Around 90-100 dolaroos) which I'm not willing to for Wolfenstein.

The Digital-Only Future looks darker and darker.
i disagree, atleast now thanks to digital distribution we southerners have a chance to own a legit copy of the game at some fucking reasonable prices

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I wonder if anyone understands that the reason so many games are coming out at 50gb is because they no longer have to compress them on console now that every console uses Blu-ray for on-disc storage, which means large download sizes for games like this, Titanfall, and so on, is basically down to lazy ports.

There's no reason why a game like this has to be 43gb. In today's ISP climate, it's ludicrous to expect people will tolerate it; piracy or not, especially when you factor in how many people choose to game on SSDs (which uncompressed assets would benefit from running on, Gift of the Magi style, "I traded my small space for uncompressed assets!" "I traded my harddrive capacity for loading performance!")
I'm not sure whether it's laziness, but I agree that the size is a ludicrous proposition considering current ISP practices. My maximum data limit is 80GB a month, and that's only if I'm paying extra already. I'm not going to pay extra just so I can download a game because the developer decided that asset compression was for too "last gen". At this point I wonder how much business they're losing to people like me that would have bought it already were it not for the size.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
funny. how about titanfall? that is also 50gb. sure it has been torrented but i didnt read anything about it either that pirates were turned off by it. i sure was shocked but at least origin downloads games far more faster then steam. and since i pre ordered it, i was able to pre download the game, which took me also over a day.